Survivorship Program Appointment

Bay Area Guy
Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 619 Member

I had my first appointment with the nurse practitioner at Stanford’s Survivorship Program this morning. It went quite well. It took an hour, though a part of that was just introducing myself and her asking questions to get to know me. She asked what I wanted to get out of the appointment. I explained that in addition to still wanting an annual kidney ultrasound, I’d like to include my intestines (since I’ve had to have two pretty extensive surgeries six years apart for twisting) and my aorta, as my dad had an aorta aneurysm (fortunately replaced before any rupture) and my paternal grandfather died from a ruptured aorta. So I have a bit of a concerning history. She explained that since none of the CT’s I’ve had in the past showed any aorta issues, it’s highly unlikely that an aneurysm would develop at my age (66). She also explained that neither aUS or CT would give warnings on the twisting. But, she was happy I wanted to continue getting the US as she had preliminarily drawn up an order for a US, a chest x-ray and blood work. We discussed other preventable cancers and cancers more readily diagnosed through common tests. I just had my colonoscopy (and it was clean), I don’t (and have never) smoked. And I have a PSA test done as part of my annual physical. The only thing I don’t do is use sunscreen, but I guess I’ll start.

The balance of the appointment talked about nutrition that helps prevent cancers and various programs Stanford is involved in. I’ll have the tests and a follow up appointment in June to get back onto a regular schedule that coincides with the anniversary date of my surgery.

If your insurance covers it, I think it’s a worthwhile program. Another set of eyes looking out for me can never hurt and some of the tips I got were quite helpful. And that was for me, a stage 1 chromophobe. If you’re someone that had a more involved stage or if you had a more aggressive form of RCC than chromophobe, I think you’d get even more out of the program.

This seems to be doctor week for me, as tomorrow, I see the folks at the Stanford Ear Institute to get evaluated for a cochlear implant. Truth be told, I’m torn. I’d certainly like to get some better level of hearing back, but after three operations, I’m pretty tired of getting cut. Of course,countering that is the fact that my first abdominal operation was in 2004. My second was in 2010. The kidney chunk was removed in2016, so if the pattern holds, I’m due in 2022…..not that I’m superstitious, mind you.

Comments

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 620 Member

I'm glad for this program and that you are getting continued scans.

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 322 Member

I’m glad your getting scans done I think your going to do great

• daisybud
    daisybud Member Posts: 541 Member
    edited December 2021 #4

I agree on continued ultrasound. I'm asking yearly too!

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,069 Member

Fully support getting ultrasounds, and even more support getting chest x-rays! As I understand, kidney-cancer wise chest scans are even more important than abdominal scans.

would you please advise about colonoscopy? Will this upcoming one be your first at 66 years?

My husband and me are 42, and are thinking of getting baseline one, just to check things up (no symptoms/complaints). Thanks!

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 244 Member

"She explained that since none of the CT’s I’ve had in the past showed any aorta issues, it’s highly unlikely that an aneurysm would develop at my age (66)."

About aneurysms: my dad had an abdominal one, which had been followed for several years. When he moved back to Illinois and got a new doctor, he got another CT scan and that's when they found he had kidney cancer. The doctor also thought it was time to get the aneurysm repaired, so he had that done and his kidney removed at the same time. He was 89! He did great.

My kidney cancer was found at the same time as a descending aortic aneurysm (both found on a pre-op chest CT for breast cancer 😳). Had the kidney out in 2018 after breast surgery, and the aneurysm is more-or-less watched by my primary doc and occasionally by a cardio-thoracic surgeon, but it seems pretty stable. But on the last scan in June, there was an aneurysm farther down near where the aortic bifurcation is. First time it was mentioned and I've been having scans for over three years! I'm 71, so these things are showing up in my late 60s-early 70s.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 973 Member

Hey, Bay--good to hear from you! I'm looking forward to my first appointment in the survivorship program. I wasn't sure what to expect, but you're post helps me get my head around what exactly I'm in for.

Good luck with the cochlear implant decision. One of the teachers I work with had this done last spring. It took a little getting used to, but she is very happy with the results.

Thanks again!

Stub

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 242 Member

Hi Bay Guy - gosh, I wish I could see the avatars bigger - I miss seeing all of you. This program sounds great - I know Stub was offered it as well, and we are all 2016. So I'll ask this summer when I see my oncologist if they have anything like this available for me. I hope the other decisions go as well as possible. Take care ~