Newly diagnosed

Deanie0916
Deanie0916 Member Posts: 614 Member

Hi I've been newly diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. I'm meeting soon with a surgeon to discuss treatment. Just looking for some thoughts about surgery abd aftercare. Thanks.

Comments

• Miles' mom
    Miles' mom Member Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    hi there

Hello. I am sorry for your diagnosis. I have been dealing with the same since 2017. Thyroid out #1. Jumped and then jumped again, #2 and 3 surgeries. Treatment after 2 and 3. This cancer does jump around in 25% of the cases. But you will be fine. I am now 53 and very active. Was back on my bike 2 weeks after each surgery. A team of great doctors is key. A great support network is key. For me, however, Jesus is the biggest KEY.

I wish you best of luck. If you want to chat on the side, feel free to message me directly. :0)

Lora

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thanks for sharing!

Surgery for a full thyroidectomy is scheduled for Dec. 10th. I am leaning on the Lord's strength and prayers of many. Thanks.

• Miles' mom
    edited November 2021 #4
    fantastic!

I will be praying for you also!! Your surgeon will most likely take a lymph node on either side of your thyroid. If no cancer is seen in them, I believe that bodes well.

Many Blessings!!

• Deanie0916
    edited November 2021 #5
    Is outpatient surgery

For a full thyroidectomy now the standard of care? Just wondering...

• Miles' mom

My surgeon says yes. I said no and practically begged him. He made me stay in triage until 5pm (surgery was 7am) then came to check on me and reluctantly gave his approval. I went home with my sister!

Please keep me updated (if you care to) as to how everything goes. I believe there is a way to reply only to me privately if you prefer :) I will put Dec 10 on my calandar and be part of all the others praying for you.

• Deanie0916

Thank you!

• Miles' mom

Obviously I meant that they do like you to stay one night in the hospital, but I wanted out. Anyway...you are getting closer. Les than a week. How are you feeling?

• Deanie0916

A bit nervous but I know God is with me. Thanks!

• Deanie0916

Just a note to say my surgery went well. The tumor was a bit bigger than what the scans said but they feel it was contained and got it all. Will do additional blood work to make sure. Now trying to get the thyroid hormone meds right.