Masses on Liver?

biotrico
biotrico Member Posts: 5 Member

Hello,

I am 40 years old. I had a routine Ultrasound about 3 weeks ago just because my workplace gives us free annual medical checkups.

anyway, the lady doing the US told me she could see a 3cm mass on my left lobe, but that she thought was an hemangioma. I asked a friend (doctor) what did he thought about this and he went ahead and recommended me to get a CT scan

fast forward, my CT scan showed 2 lesions (3cm size and a another 1cm) which the Radiologist cant confirm is benign. a gastroenterologist saw me and did gastroscophy + colonoscopy with nothing showing. CT scan also didn't reveal anything else on any other organ

i am scheduled now for an MRI tomorrow, but my mental state during these past 2 weeks has been quite bad as now I am really anxious about what to expect. I googled up what the radiologist wrote on the CT scan report and it tells something about "Ring enhancing lesions during portal phase" which apparently is consistent with mets to liver 

during all this time I have not had a single symptom of anything gastrointestinal related. No pains, I am eating good, doing Sports.I am just dealing with a LOT of anxiety (due to the CT scan report) that is just basically interfering with my whole life.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Are there other conditions that could mimmick metastases on a CT contrast scan? Is liver disease really this silent??

thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• DanNH
    DanNH Member Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2021 #2
    You are not alone

Biotrico:

My wife, age 61, had some discomfort on her right side. After a few doctors appointments she had an ultrasound in mid January and they found five lesions on her liver. A follow up MRI two weeks later revealed about ten. We had a meeting with the Oncologist a few days later who ordered a biopsy and CT scan. The biopsy was done and we are waiting for the results. CT scan is next week and a follow up with the Oncologist the following week to learn what the diagnosis is and what treatment plan will be. It is NOT a cancer diagnosis at this point but sure is pointing in that direction. Liver cancer is usually a secondary cancer that comes from somewhere else in the gastrointestinal system, according to our doctor.

Like you we were utterly shocked by what was found and are very anxious. This came out of nowhere! The testing did reveal nothing on the pancreas or anywhere else that the scan covered. We are very thankful for that! Although we are older than you we are very active too and do a lot of physical labor. It is hard for us not to get caught up thinking the worst. It is a difficult story to share with our family and friends. People are naturally upset by the news and seem uncomfortable responding.

Our lives and priorities turned on a dime following that Ultrasound. Our upcoming meeting with the Oncologist will be one of the most pivotal in our lives. We are going to get good news, bad news, or terrible news and all we can do is act on it, whatever it turns out to be. For us this is a time of prayers and tears, hope and dread. We are trying to remain positive and live as normal a life as possible. There is mental and emotional distraction in working and being busy but we have a lot of nights with little sleep. I go days with that churning anxiety in my gut. I suspect that you are feeling the same way, as are so many others like us at the beginning of this journey.

In spite of my optimistic, half full personality, I feel that constant dread. But, I get a lot of comfort from the success stories of others who are ahead of us on this voyage on this and other forums. The experiences that they share shed some insight and take away some of the mysteries and unknowns. They give me hope!

We are working on diet and supplementation to stay on top of this. I would gladly howl at the moon if I thought it would help! I sure hope that there is something else that this could be and is! In talking to people I was astounded at how many people have cysts on their livers that they are monitoring with their doctors! I guess the use of radiology is discovering many that would never have otherwise been found.

I wish you the best. Stay on top of your care and appointments. Don't take for granted that the staff will follow through on them. We wasted a week waiting for the CT scan appointment. The appointment "never made it to insurance for approval". After a some calls and getting passed around a bit we found a woman who tracked it down for us. We told her that this was for a possible cancer diagnosis and time was of the essence. She said that the e-mail had been delivered. I am thankful that she cared enough that she took the time to follow through for us.  I suspect the e-mail got lost in someone's in box for a week. We gave it a few days and followed up again and got the appointment yesterday.

I am glad you posted. Remember that you are not alone and there are people out there who don't know you but care about you.

Dan

• biotrico
    edited February 2021 #3
    DanNH said:

You are not alone

Biotrico:

My wife, age 61, had some discomfort on her right side. After a few doctors appointments she had an ultrasound in mid January and they found five lesions on her liver. A follow up MRI two weeks later revealed about ten. We had a meeting with the Oncologist a few days later who ordered a biopsy and CT scan. The biopsy was done and we are waiting for the results. CT scan is next week and a follow up with the Oncologist the following week to learn what the diagnosis is and what treatment plan will be. It is NOT a cancer diagnosis at this point but sure is pointing in that direction. Liver cancer is usually a secondary cancer that comes from somewhere else in the gastrointestinal system, according to our doctor.

Like you we were utterly shocked by what was found and are very anxious. This came out of nowhere! The testing did reveal nothing on the pancreas or anywhere else that the scan covered. We are very thankful for that! Although we are older than you we are very active too and do a lot of physical labor. It is hard for us not to get caught up thinking the worst. It is a difficult story to share with our family and friends. People are naturally upset by the news and seem uncomfortable responding.

Our lives and priorities turned on a dime following that Ultrasound. Our upcoming meeting with the Oncologist will be one of the most pivotal in our lives. We are going to get good news, bad news, or terrible news and all we can do is act on it, whatever it turns out to be. For us this is a time of prayers and tears, hope and dread. We are trying to remain positive and live as normal a life as possible. There is mental and emotional distraction in working and being busy but we have a lot of nights with little sleep. I go days with that churning anxiety in my gut. I suspect that you are feeling the same way, as are so many others like us at the beginning of this journey.

In spite of my optimistic, half full personality, I feel that constant dread. But, I get a lot of comfort from the success stories of others who are ahead of us on this voyage on this and other forums. The experiences that they share shed some insight and take away some of the mysteries and unknowns. They give me hope!

We are working on diet and supplementation to stay on top of this. I would gladly howl at the moon if I thought it would help! I sure hope that there is something else that this could be and is! In talking to people I was astounded at how many people have cysts on their livers that they are monitoring with their doctors! I guess the use of radiology is discovering many that would never have otherwise been found.

I wish you the best. Stay on top of your care and appointments. Don't take for granted that the staff will follow through on them. We wasted a week waiting for the CT scan appointment. The appointment "never made it to insurance for approval". After a some calls and getting passed around a bit we found a woman who tracked it down for us. We told her that this was for a possible cancer diagnosis and time was of the essence. She said that the e-mail had been delivered. I am thankful that she cared enough that she took the time to follow through for us.  I suspect the e-mail got lost in someone's in box for a week. We gave it a few days and followed up again and got the appointment yesterday.

I am glad you posted. Remember that you are not alone and there are people out there who don't know you but care about you.

Dan

just got mri, waiting for monday

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing your story. 

So your wife and I share the same story, livers lesions (mets) found but from no apparent source. Has your wife been given a colonoscopy already? When they found my lesions, I was ordered a colonoscopy asap as it's the most probable place from where they originated from...When I found out my colon+stomach+esophagus were clear, I was happy (because the CT Scan had already saw the other organs and they were clear). I was happy but confused at the same time. I thought liver mets showed up first from a pre-existing cancer that can easily show up on other scans. I don't know what to think at this moment. Just had the MRI scan and I am waiting for results on Monday - this weekend I just want to relax and not think about these past two weeks, they have been really stressful.

My gastroenterologist thinks the lesions are benign as he was unable to find anything on the colonoscopy (just an 8mm polyp) or other tests...but I keep a level of doubt on all of this, a bit hypocondriac on my side

Maybe your wife's condition might be due to some other benign conditions, like Focal nodular hyperplasia (FNH)? Ive read that condition could generate 10 or more lesions on the liver, but benign. But I guess at this point it is just better to wait for the biopsy results. I've read that 30% of the general population have liver lesions.  

Please keep me updated on the findings on your wife's condition, wishing you the best of success.

• DanNH
    edited February 2021 #4
    biotrico said:

just got mri, waiting for monday

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing your story. 

So your wife and I share the same story, livers lesions (mets) found but from no apparent source. Has your wife been given a colonoscopy already? When they found my lesions, I was ordered a colonoscopy asap as it's the most probable place from where they originated from...When I found out my colon+stomach+esophagus were clear, I was happy (because the CT Scan had already saw the other organs and they were clear). I was happy but confused at the same time. I thought liver mets showed up first from a pre-existing cancer that can easily show up on other scans. I don't know what to think at this moment. Just had the MRI scan and I am waiting for results on Monday - this weekend I just want to relax and not think about these past two weeks, they have been really stressful.

My gastroenterologist thinks the lesions are benign as he was unable to find anything on the colonoscopy (just an 8mm polyp) or other tests...but I keep a level of doubt on all of this, a bit hypocondriac on my side

Maybe your wife's condition might be due to some other benign conditions, like Focal nodular hyperplasia (FNH)? Ive read that condition could generate 10 or more lesions on the liver, but benign. But I guess at this point it is just better to wait for the biopsy results. I've read that 30% of the general population have liver lesions.  

Please keep me updated on the findings on your wife's condition, wishing you the best of success.

CT Scan Monday

Biotrico:

So far it is the same story. The MRI targeted her liver but covered an area from about the sternum to the navel. There was nothing that stood out in the pictures other than the liver. There was still a section of her lower abdomen that was not scanned and that is going to be included in the CT scan on Monday. She has a abdominal/pelvic ultrasound a week from Monday as well. We talked about a colonoscopy but have put that off for the time being. I do have some fear that it will be found to be the source, but that's simply a wild guess and gut instinct.

She did very well with the biopsy. They took three samples and they are off to the lab now. She is a little sore from that procedure. She has had some discomfort from her liver but no real pain as of late and all of her liver blood work is within the normal range. We hope and pray that the lesions are benign and can be addressed. If that is the diagnosis I will be the happiest guy in the world!

She lost about 45 lbs (the old fashioned way - she worked at it, not unexplained) the year prior to this and has started making another run at dropping some more weight just prior to this discovery. One of our doctors told us that these things sometimes show themselves after a significant weight loss. Of course now instead of seeing her weight loss as a victory we worry about it. I have to learn more about weight loss and cancer and make sure that we feed the body but not the tumors, if that is possible. I have her tracking her food on her fitbit app so that we can monitor her caloric intake.

I am checking out the FNH you mentioned. It is another focus of hope. I appreciate very much you mentioning that. Her lesions seem to be in the upper righ quardrant and that is were the pain is often focused, according to an article I just read. So, there is a reasonable hope that they could actually be FNH!

I sure hope that you have very happy and joyful news on Monday! I will keep you posted on our progess and I hope you will do the same as you are in my prayers.

Dan

• DanNH
    edited February 2021 #5
    Good Luck Today

I hope you get great news today. CT scan for us...

• biotrico
    edited February 2021 #6
    DanNH said:

Good Luck Today

I hope you get great news today. CT scan for us...

Apparently hemangiomas

Hey Dan,

Hope everything is good with both of you

I got back the results from the MRI and the two most important lesions appear to be hemangiomas, due to the behaviour in the MRI phases. These two balls are 25mm x 16mm in size and 12x7.5 mm.

The third and smaller one is apparently a cyst as it does not enhances on any phase. So...a pretty mixed salad I have inside my liver. The only outstanding issue now is that seemingly I have an enlarged liver now (19 cm) , so I'll talk about this with my doctor.  CT scan or US reported normal size liver, though. I am 193cm tall, so I don't know if a liver gets bigger in a taller person (I also have an enlarged heart detected years ago)

One of the things that is interesting is that CT Scan measurements of the masses were larger than the measurements given by the MRI. The biggest mass is about 20% smaller on the MRI compared to the CT.

The medium-size mass is half the size on the RMI, compared to the CT-scan. So I don't know whats this about.

I am a bit more relaxed now, but I will meet with my doctor to see what are the next steps. Surveillance I am guessing...

This has been 3 stressful weeks for me - and everything started with a routine ultrasound that picked up the suspicious mass, all blood tests have been normal, colonoscopy+gastroscopy without signs of anything, CT scan didn't detect any masses on any other organs. And physically speaking, I haven't had one single symptom all this time. It seems these two balls have been with me for a long time detected until now. Apparently hemangiomas and other benign masses are far too common among the general population - the only issue is that people do not go for routine US that often (I wouldn't have gone if I had to pay for it - I went because my new employer offers free US to us as part of the company's benefits)

So, I am a bit more relaxed now but it is not so good to know you have foreign stuff living inside your liver - so some fear is left. 

So that's my story until now - Now I am thinking about you and your wife, please update me with any news you have. I've read these benign masses are more common in women than in men, so I am really hoping to get good news on your side!

please keep me posted! 

• DanNH
    biotrico said:

Apparently hemangiomas

Hey Dan,

Hope everything is good with both of you

I got back the results from the MRI and the two most important lesions appear to be hemangiomas, due to the behaviour in the MRI phases. These two balls are 25mm x 16mm in size and 12x7.5 mm.

The third and smaller one is apparently a cyst as it does not enhances on any phase. So...a pretty mixed salad I have inside my liver. The only outstanding issue now is that seemingly I have an enlarged liver now (19 cm) , so I'll talk about this with my doctor.  CT scan or US reported normal size liver, though. I am 193cm tall, so I don't know if a liver gets bigger in a taller person (I also have an enlarged heart detected years ago)

One of the things that is interesting is that CT Scan measurements of the masses were larger than the measurements given by the MRI. The biggest mass is about 20% smaller on the MRI compared to the CT.

The medium-size mass is half the size on the RMI, compared to the CT-scan. So I don't know whats this about.

I am a bit more relaxed now, but I will meet with my doctor to see what are the next steps. Surveillance I am guessing...

This has been 3 stressful weeks for me - and everything started with a routine ultrasound that picked up the suspicious mass, all blood tests have been normal, colonoscopy+gastroscopy without signs of anything, CT scan didn't detect any masses on any other organs. And physically speaking, I haven't had one single symptom all this time. It seems these two balls have been with me for a long time detected until now. Apparently hemangiomas and other benign masses are far too common among the general population - the only issue is that people do not go for routine US that often (I wouldn't have gone if I had to pay for it - I went because my new employer offers free US to us as part of the company's benefits)

So, I am a bit more relaxed now but it is not so good to know you have foreign stuff living inside your liver - so some fear is left. 

So that's my story until now - Now I am thinking about you and your wife, please update me with any news you have. I've read these benign masses are more common in women than in men, so I am really hoping to get good news on your side!

please keep me posted! 

That's a Relief!

I am very relieved for you! It must be a huge sigh of relief for you! Thank God! Well now you know what is there and you have a base line. It is something to be aware of and to take care of. Maybe treat your liver to an occasional detox or spell on the wagon to rest up. It certainly tunes you in to your own health!

We went for the CT Scan today. The procedure went well. Now, the waiting. We should have a result tomorrow, and I expect the biopsy results this week too. They should show up in my wife's MyChart. I am actually kind of afraid to read them because I know, or think I know, how pivital they will be. If we get a diagnosis like yours I will be thrilled beyond description! But we are prepared for the worst, praying for the best.

My wife just stopped in and I told her your news. She is very happy for you and your result! We will let you know ours...

Dan

• DanNH
    edited February 2021 #8
    Terrible News...

Stage 4 Adenocarcinoma. I started a new thread...

• Fleet Foot
    Fleet Foot Member Posts: 23 Member
    edited February 2021 #9
    DanNH said:

CT Scan Monday

Biotrico:

So far it is the same story. The MRI targeted her liver but covered an area from about the sternum to the navel. There was nothing that stood out in the pictures other than the liver. There was still a section of her lower abdomen that was not scanned and that is going to be included in the CT scan on Monday. She has a abdominal/pelvic ultrasound a week from Monday as well. We talked about a colonoscopy but have put that off for the time being. I do have some fear that it will be found to be the source, but that's simply a wild guess and gut instinct.

She did very well with the biopsy. They took three samples and they are off to the lab now. She is a little sore from that procedure. She has had some discomfort from her liver but no real pain as of late and all of her liver blood work is within the normal range. We hope and pray that the lesions are benign and can be addressed. If that is the diagnosis I will be the happiest guy in the world!

She lost about 45 lbs (the old fashioned way - she worked at it, not unexplained) the year prior to this and has started making another run at dropping some more weight just prior to this discovery. One of our doctors told us that these things sometimes show themselves after a significant weight loss. Of course now instead of seeing her weight loss as a victory we worry about it. I have to learn more about weight loss and cancer and make sure that we feed the body but not the tumors, if that is possible. I have her tracking her food on her fitbit app so that we can monitor her caloric intake.

I am checking out the FNH you mentioned. It is another focus of hope. I appreciate very much you mentioning that. Her lesions seem to be in the upper righ quardrant and that is were the pain is often focused, according to an article I just read. So, there is a reasonable hope that they could actually be FNH!

I sure hope that you have very happy and joyful news on Monday! I will keep you posted on our progess and I hope you will do the same as you are in my prayers.

Dan

Losing weight

Dan,

Losing the weight may have helped to prolong her life.  Our daughter had been obese for years and knew it just didn't seem to care.  Several years ago she got on a bit of a health kick and lost a few of the many pounds she needed to lose and took up running.  She lost a few more pounds and started to feel good about herself.  Then she found out she had breast cancer.  Initially I think she blamed the cancer on losing weight and trying to get healthy but came to realize that her weight loss may well have saved her life as what was previously undetected was detected and treatment began almost immediately.  She went through an earthly semblance of hell in the process but she's still with us and may not have been without the weight loss.

• biotrico
    edited February 2021 #10
    DanNH said:

Terrible News...

Stage 4 Adenocarcinoma. I started a new thread...

Saddened by these news

Hi Dan, I am terribly saddened by the news. I've read the other thread and learned about your wife's diagnosis

Please know that you both are in my mind and I will be thinking of you. I strongly wish the best for you on this challenging journey

I will check often hoping to hear good news on your side on the other thread...

wishing you all the best!

• Marcela69
    Marcela69 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2021 #11
    Liver Cancer

Hello:

I subscribe to this page because I have found I have 4 tumors in my liver...Later when they did the biopsy on July 20th, the Dr. found I have cancer. On August 10th I will have a Pet scan, and August 12th I will see the oncologist Dr. for treatment. I am a believer and I do know God has a plan for me. I have found a lot of support at my church, I have some friends that are here for me. I can tell you some days I feel that my belly is so bloated, some mornings I have pain and nausea. I trust in the Lord with all my heart and I pray the Lord bring healing and give strenght to all who are fighting cancer. God bless you!

• DianePB
    DianePB Member Posts: 1
    Liver lesion

Hello Biotrico,

I read your posts. While I am sorry about having lesions but really glad they are benign! 

I had US test that discoverd a 1.7 cm echogenic lesion in liver with minimal vascular flow. I am really worried while making appointment with doctors. 

I saw you had many tests but you did not do biopsy. Just wondering about it. 

and May I know your doctors names and hospital? 

Thanks. 

• biotrico
    edited November 2021 #13
    Sorry for the delayed response

Hello Diane.

sorry for the late response but its been a while since I last logged in.

they did not do a biopsy because doing biopsies on hemangioma is risky, thats what I was told.

its been around 11 months since they incidentally found the masses and I havent had any symptoms at all, so I would guess that as time passes by without any symptom, they are more likely to have been benign.the doctor told me to do an ultrasound to check for growth in about a year from now

I do not live in the US so giving you dr names wouldnt be of much help to you.

I hope your lesion is benign as well !