No whipple

kltubbs
kltubbs Member Posts: 1

I would suggest against Whipple. Once you allow surgery in the organ area it can spread quicker and the cells may divide faster. Whipple also causes great hardship in absorbing any calories much needed. My friend did great until surgery then basically his disease accelerated and he could not recover.

Comments

• spartroy
    spartroy Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2020 #2
    whipple PPPD

Hello All. Just signed on here today after researching  severe gas and bloating 3 years post op. after PPPD.   I have reduced the frequency by taking Magnesium supplements but still get this crippling pain out of the blue that restricts breating and induces cold sweats. If anyone has similar or had similar would welcome some pointers. @klTubbs I was prescribed Creon after my pancreas was removed and have regained 15 KGS of good weight however its tablets for life.

• Bighead1234
    Bighead1234 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021 #3
    After surgery

My wife had surgery 4 years ago for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas. Surgery and anucleation was done to remove the tumor from the pancreas.  1 year later many small tumors were detected in her liver.  She has had Lanreatide treatements and y-90 spheres were administered to the liver. She developed intollerable pain as the spheres escaped and damaged (burned) her stomach and esophogus. Fentinol and Morphine  were administered for 7 months due to the extreme pain, during that 7 months a Helius Plexis was done to also relieve pain in the stomach. After 7 months she had to be weaned off of pain killers.  She now is in remission from cancer and Lanreatide keeps it in check. She now is suffering with Gastroparosis which is quite debillatating. (her type of cancer is Pancreatic Endocrin)   Can anyone share any info that may help  with this Gastroparesis situation as it relates to cancer and treatment? She is now a young 70.

• Dadhood
    Dadhood Member Posts: 5 Member
    I am living proof The Whipple

I am living proof The Whipple operation works it's not pleasant but the alternative is much worse if a doctor says Whipple then Whipple it should be save my life ten years already.

• Dadhood
    Dadhood Member Posts: 5 Member

After surgery

My wife had surgery 4 years ago for a cancerous tumor on her pancreas. Surgery and anucleation was done to remove the tumor from the pancreas.  1 year later many small tumors were detected in her liver.  She has had Lanreatide treatements and y-90 spheres were administered to the liver. She developed intollerable pain as the spheres escaped and damaged (burned) her stomach and esophogus. Fentinol and Morphine  were administered for 7 months due to the extreme pain, during that 7 months a Helius Plexis was done to also relieve pain in the stomach. After 7 months she had to be weaned off of pain killers.  She now is in remission from cancer and Lanreatide keeps it in check. She now is suffering with Gastroparosis which is quite debillatating. (her type of cancer is Pancreatic Endocrin)   Can anyone share any info that may help  with this Gastroparesis situation as it relates to cancer and treatment? She is now a young 70.

I currently take 30 mg of

I currently take 30 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours after 10 years post Whipple it's a necessary evil you got a deal with what you got just like you did when you were given diagnosis pancreatic cancer hey I'm alive that's it

• dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2021 #6
    Dadhood said:

I am living proof The Whipple

I am living proof The Whipple operation works it's not pleasant but the alternative is much worse if a doctor says Whipple then Whipple it should be save my life ten years already.

A little bump in the road, but beats the alternative.

I had Whipple surery in Feb. '19. I had been surviving on a feeding tube for over a month, and was really beat to crap and in a lot of pain prior to surgery. Made the mistake of eating too much, too soon, and ended up in pain for about 2 weeks. Did a follow up of 12 rounds of Folfirinox chemo. Went to the NFR in De of'19, remodeled the seond floor of my house a year after surgery.  I eat like a horse, but am bothered by inconsistent bowel habits. I take Creon with meals. I am on no pain meds, nor anything else.  I feel great and have gained back 27 pounds of the  original 50 I lost. I would do it again without hesitation, but odds of that happening are 0. If it (cancer) should come back, it will likely show up somewhere else. I will cross that bridge if and when I get there. Without the Whipple, I would not have seen the summer of '19. It was not a hard decision to make. I believe that in addition to faith in your creator, a positive attitude going into surgery and chemo is of great importance. This was my seond go round with cancer, first was prostate cancer in 2004.

• StageIVSurvivor
    StageIVSurvivor Member Posts: 19 Member

A little bump in the road, but beats the alternative.

I had Whipple surery in Feb. '19. I had been surviving on a feeding tube for over a month, and was really beat to crap and in a lot of pain prior to surgery. Made the mistake of eating too much, too soon, and ended up in pain for about 2 weeks. Did a follow up of 12 rounds of Folfirinox chemo. Went to the NFR in De of'19, remodeled the seond floor of my house a year after surgery.  I eat like a horse, but am bothered by inconsistent bowel habits. I take Creon with meals. I am on no pain meds, nor anything else.  I feel great and have gained back 27 pounds of the  original 50 I lost. I would do it again without hesitation, but odds of that happening are 0. If it (cancer) should come back, it will likely show up somewhere else. I will cross that bridge if and when I get there. Without the Whipple, I would not have seen the summer of '19. It was not a hard decision to make. I believe that in addition to faith in your creator, a positive attitude going into surgery and chemo is of great importance. This was my seond go round with cancer, first was prostate cancer in 2004.

A little bump in the road beats the alternative

I had Whipple surgery in June 2012. I was diagnosed stage III borderline resectable with the very rare and aggressive pancreatic Acinar cell carcinoma (PACC). First chemo regimen failed and I progressed to metastatic disease. After 22 months of Folfinox treatments followed by a clinical trial,  I have reached more than nine years of survival and declared cancer-free since 2016. I had issues with the GI tract until prescribed CREON. By keeping a food journal (types of food injested and quantit), I was able to identify which foods caused issues or if too much was consumed. By increasing CREON dosage for certain foods or large quantity and taking one pill at the start of the meal and the second at the midpoint, no more issues have been encountered, my weight stabilized and I am exact in the middle of my BMI which is where I prefer to be.