After Prostate Biopsy.

I had my first transrectal biopsy almost a week ago. No results yet. I had some blood in my stool for a few days as well as a little blood in my urine. I was told I could have some blood in my seman also. When that event happened about 6 days later it was quite shocking. I was expecting a tinge of blood but what came out looked like 100% red blood. Is that normal? 

Comments

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 372 Member
    edited September 2021 #2
    Normal

This is completely normal.  Some folks experience more, while some folks experience less.

• tae111
    tae111 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. It was very strange

Thanks. It was very strange seeing that much blood. My Dr. did warn me that I might see some but I was thinking it would be something like the ammount in the stool and urine. That actually decreased quite a bit after the 4th day so I thought I was pretty much on the mend. On the 6th day my wife and I were getting frisky and it was like something out of a horror movie. Pretty scary for both of us. I'm going to suggest to my DR. that he warn guys that they might be shooting 99% blood. I think I'm done with that for awhile. I'm not usually to squeemish but I have no desire to see that again any time soon.

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited September 2021 #4
    tae111 said:

Thanks. It was very strange

Thanks. It was very strange seeing that much blood. My Dr. did warn me that I might see some but I was thinking it would be something like the ammount in the stool and urine. That actually decreased quite a bit after the 4th day so I thought I was pretty much on the mend. On the 6th day my wife and I were getting frisky and it was like something out of a horror movie. Pretty scary for both of us. I'm going to suggest to my DR. that he warn guys that they might be shooting 99% blood. I think I'm done with that for awhile. I'm not usually to squeemish but I have no desire to see that again any time soon.

Bleeding Post-Biop

tae,

Realize that to bleed anally, the blood would mostly have to exit the prostate gland, AND go through the colon wall -- a lot of membrane to transverse.  And except for puncture in the canal of the urethra in the prostate, urine is unlikely to pass much blood from the biopsy.   On the other hand, semen in mostly a function of the prostate, and therefore much higher concentrations of blood from sexual activity than from urine are to be expected.  But even that should end soon.  

• JJO
    JJO Member Posts: 22 Member
    It's Normal

I've have many biopsies.  Three comments:

1. For me, the blood you describe it totally normal.

2. I don't think things were completely clear for a couple of months, but it decreases over time.

3.  As for not getting frisky, in my experience, there is a certain amount of blook lurking that needs to be cleaned out.  So, in one sense, the more you get frisky, the quicker I think it start to go away.  

• tae111
    tae111 Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2021 #6
    So there is a new issue. It's

So there is a new issue. It's been about 3 weeks since my MRI Fusion biopsy. The great news is all 12 cores came back negative for PC. Whew! After about one week I was able to have an orgasm but it was almost all blood as mentioned above. Now 3 weeks out and I can get a strong erection but much of the feeling is gone and no chance of achieving orgasm. I'm 68 and never had that issue since I was pre puberty. Is this something that can happen after a biopsy and if so does the feeling come back? I  can understand how things might get messed up. One week out and I was fine. Actually better than fine in that department. Then by week 3 is was a complete turn around. All the rest of the side effects disappeared and I hardly noticed I had a biopsy. Then this issue showed up just when I thought I was pretty much on the mend. I read a ton about the biopsy and the possible side effects as I had a few weeks to think about it before it was going to happen. I guess I missed this one somehow though.