Hello I am new to the forum

Options
Doberlady
Doberlady Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello out there.

I am new to this forum. 

Recently diagnosed with breast cancer HER2 +++

Getting my port next Tuesday and begin Chemo next Wednesday. 

So my journey begins. 

I would have preferred a few days between gettingthe port and the first chemo infusion but time to get a move on I suppose. 

Initially was in shock and blubbered all the time , but now I am OK As I can be considering this diagnosis and ready to move forward and get to the other side Of this chapter in my life. 

Not to much bothers me now. Never grumpy anymore. Just so glad to be here. 

Comments

• anniemshe
    anniemshe Member Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2021 #2
    Options
    Hi

Hi. Love your positivity and pray you are blessed with the strength and the continuing peace for this journey. Keep upbeat and take one day at a time. 

Blessings. 

• Tonirobgri4
    Tonirobgri4 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

Staying positive was very helpful in me beating this monster!  Surround yourself with positive people and you will get through this!

Blessings!

• thyscientist
    thyscientist Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2021 #4
    Options
    Prayers

SENDING LOTS OF LOVE AND PRAYERS YOUR WAY ON YOUR JOURNEY. TRY TO STAY POSITIVE.

Smile

• THuff
    THuff Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2021 #5
    Options
    I was just recently diagnosed

I was just recently diagnosed as well. April 9th, HER2-. I just underwent a double mastectomy on Tuesday. Not sure really what to expect now. everything happened so fast I still don't think I have truly wrapped my head around my diagnoses.

• anniemshe
    Options
    THuff

Yes I remember how one day it was getting the diagnosis then a whirlwind of appointments, tests and decisions!!! Yes we need time to take it all in. Days where you feel like you are in depths of denial and so many people with so many opinions. I think you try your best to have someone with you when you see the doctors as sometimes our minds can't grasp everything said as we are still processing the fact we Have cancer. Don't try to follow everyone's advise. Do what you think is best for you. It's good to have 1 or 2 trusted people to discuss sometimes cry and vent with. Prayers and positive thoughts alwaya

• Primavera
    Primavera Member Posts: 231 Member
    edited May 2021 #7
    Options
    Hope you're doing well

I was also thrown into chemo with Adriamycin and Taxol, and then Herceptin and Perjeta, right after the diagnosis.

Then I had surgery this year, April 19. Everything is better now; just recovering from left breast mastectomy and continuing treatment. All I could do back then was to trust my doctors and go through the motions.

You'll get through this. Let's hope for minimal side effects.

• Osemartinez
    Osemartinez Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021 #8
    Options
    Hello

Hello

I am new as well. Had dble mastectomy. Er and Pr + HER2-  am 3 mo post surgery. Prayers to you. 

• Savannahlady
    Savannahlady Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2021 #9
    Options
    exercise options

Hello. New member here. It has been many years since my TRAM Flap surgery. I need recommendations for excercise of my abdominal area. Thx

• Aud1
    Aud1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2021 #10
    Options
    Anxious Newbie

Hi!

I'm having my 1st chemotherapy infusion 2 days from now. I think since I was diagnosed and even through the surgery I have been in shock. Now that it's time for my treatments I'm anxious about the many side effects that chemotherapy does to the body. Losing my hair doesn't bother me it's all the other side effects that cause me to get anxious. My family thinks I'm really strong. That's because I don't think they can understand because none of them have experienced it. Any suggestions?

• ccreel64
    ccreel64 Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2021 #11
    Options
    Aud1 said:

Anxious Newbie

Hi!

I'm having my 1st chemotherapy infusion 2 days from now. I think since I was diagnosed and even through the surgery I have been in shock. Now that it's time for my treatments I'm anxious about the many side effects that chemotherapy does to the body. Losing my hair doesn't bother me it's all the other side effects that cause me to get anxious. My family thinks I'm really strong. That's because I don't think they can understand because none of them have experienced it. Any suggestions?

Hi Aud1,

You may be correct about the experience aspect. I have no suggestions, really. I have my 2nd infusion next week and I thought I was okay with losing my hair until it started to happen this morning, then I fell apart. the best advice I got was that just when you think you ve got a handle on what cancer does to you, it throws something else your way. Whether it be emotional or physical doesn't matter. That helps me roll with the punches. I wish you well and continued success in treatment. 

C.

• Judemo
    Judemo Member Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    How are you doing Doberlady?

How are you doing Doberlady?

• anniemshe
    edited October 2021 #13
    Options
    Aud1

Not everyone has the same kind of side effects - we are all different. Just go with the flow - if you have no appetite drink juices instead. Don't force yourself to eat. If you feel tired - I was ( usually 3/4 days after a chemo session) sleep. Don't force yourself to do things to prove you are well. Towards my 4th session I started getting very nauseous but I know someone who couldn't stop eating - she was hungry ALL THE TIME and put on weight. I lost weight. What's important is to remember this will pass. You will get through. Keep looking ahead surround yourself with positive people- too many people will have a million opinions and tell you - what you should eat, drink etc. Just do what makes you feel good. Don't blindly follow their advice. Check with your Dr before you take any supplements or any " super food"

All the best. Stay strong 

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    edited October 2021 #14
    Options
    Hi Doberlady

Sorry you're at this place but you will have a lot of good information from people in this group. I'm 13 years out from breast cancer diagnosis and I found that having a sense of humor laughing when you can at life and the absurdities helps a lot! Best wishes to you.

• Gayleo
    Gayleo Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie too

I am at the beginning stage but also recently moved ( 3 months ago ) to Florida , alone at age 71. I moved to Bushnell to a over 55+ community but haven't made any friends yet  and found the lump ,a month ago. I have had 2 biopsy and will get an MRI , tomorrow and have an Oncology appointment on the 6th at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I live an hour away but when surgery happens , I would like it done there. I am trying my best to solve problems in getting it done without delays especially during this time of Covid.

I am mostly looking for transportation on day of surgery. which I'm guessing will be done as an outpatient and I will need someone to pick me up. . I will be in contact with the social worker at Moffitt but trying to get any options before that visit because during this time of Covid , there are many delays .I located Right Path Transport that does hospital discharge  but I'm looking for more resources too.. I am not Medicaid eligible,  so I will be paying out of pocket.

• SleemanSusanL
    SleemanSusanL Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I am too a newbie. I was just diagnosed with Stage 2 Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. Did conserve breast surgery 10 days ago. Got the results, tumor 5cm (was deep and did not go into my chest cavity, one node out of seven tested positive (the nodes were deep in my underarm) and the margins as well. Will be meeting with an oncologist in one day to discuss what the plan of action will be. Will have to have another surgery to get the rest of the positive margins, which I understand is normal, as well as a port for the chemo, etc. There are days that I am scared and crying and days that I am very positive, normal I am understanding. On the initial biopsy, we were hoping for just radiation and dr did not think the tumor was that large, those tests were er/pr positive and her2 negative. The surgeon said those results are good. My surgeon feels that we made the right choice by doing a lumpectomy and does not feel that I need a mastectomy. The chemo now is because of the one node tested positive.

I had a mamogram in May of this year and got a clean scan, however, I felt the lump in October. Please do a self- exam at least once a month as the cancer I have does not show up on mamograms until it is in its late stage.

• minicoops
    minicoops Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Welcome I'm new too and start chemo the day before you.

• cutenewt
    cutenewt Member Posts: 2 *
    Options

I’m also new to the forum. I was diagnosed in July 2021 and the treatment is chemo, then surgery, then radiation. I will be finished with chemo in a week and head for surgery next month — left breast; no reconstruction. The chemo was no fun, particularly AC and Newlasta. Two days after treatment I felt like a Mack truck hit me, but I was told what to expect and that it would subside. I’ve been on Taxol 11 weeks and it’s been a relative piece of cake. I have a great support group of friends and an awesome husband. The doctors, technicians at the infusion center, PA and surgeon have all been pleased and have commented on my upbeat attitude. Hard as it is to maintain — and sometimes I just don’t — I think attitude is a good part of it. My dearest girlfriend, on hearing the diagnosis, said, “I’m not worried. You’ll kick cancer’s butt.” It set me on the right path. And I’m going to do just that. Keep your chin up and know the damn cancer WILL NOT WIN. Prayers and positive energy for you.