Gas

Wellzen
Wellzen Member Posts: 42

I am 3 1/2 years from treatment. I am doing well. I have however been dealing with a great deal of gas that can be very embarrassing. I seems to be getting worse. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Comments

• technicolor
    technicolor Member Posts: 12 Member
    GAS

I wrote this Subject in capital letters because I experience this a lot!  After my initial biopsis and treatment I started experiencing a lot of pain upon sitting.  My oncologist said it might be permanent so I asked my Surgeon and he did another biopsy, whatever he did took away the pain but now I have lost control there if you know what I mean.  Gas and other things can pass and control is just not there.  I have had 2 colonoscopies since and that is not funny as I can't stop the leakage, very embarrassing.  I've tried doing the kegel exercises but with little result.

I can blame the gas on our dogs, we have 6!  But when I am out I just pray!  Usually I am lucky.  I can only think of a few times where I had to run for it!

It has been over 4 years since my initial diagnosis and treatment and so far I am cancer free.  I have a lot to be thankful for and I try to concentrate on the positives in my life.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited May 2021 #3
    GAS

I'm over 5 years out, gas is a big problem. Beano helps but doesn't completely take care of the problem. I also avoid lactose by using Lactaide. Try adding yogurt and/or a probiotic also. I have just read about  DevrI'm which is sold on Amazon, I think I'm going to try it. Anyone else have suggestions?

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited May 2021 #4
    Correction

The OTC medication is called Devrom

• SueBee2011
    SueBee2011 Member Posts: 9 Member

Looks like I'm about a year late on this discussion. Gas is certainly a terrible and embarrassing problem! Not to mention your other embarrassing problem! I have a few suggestions because I have delt with this. Okay, check your multivitamin. Does it have magnesium? Magnesium can cause diarrhea which would cause leakage. Think Milk of Magnesia and what that is used for. I've found vitamins without magnesium. Try acidophilus too. I have used plain acidophilus. But the best advice I can give you is stop eating oatmeal or any food with oats. For years I ate a multigrain bread that contained oats. I would write down what I ate at every meal. How could multigrain bread be the cause of diarrhea and gas? I never thought that would be a problem! One day I decided to switch to oatmeal for breakfast because I thought that oatmeal might be healthier. Wrong. It was disastrous but I still thought that other foods were the cause. Then I read that some people get diarrhea with excessive amounts of gas eating oatmeal, I finally found out what was causing my problems! I stopped eating oatmeal and what a difference that made!

I hope that helps. I've been free of anal cancer since 2005 and throat cancer since 2011. Yay! I sure hope you are doing better now as your post was a year old and there was no update.