biopsy

I am kind of in a funk.  Been trying to get appointment with mayo cancer center in AZ.  I have a medicare advantage insurance United Healthcare/Optum Care.   I have received approval from insurance to go to Mayo for 2nd opinion.

Talked with them today...  I am a Stage IIIc cancer survivor since 2007.   I had a pet scan that shows 2 areas by the original resection.  a grape size and a peanut size that oncologist says is cancer and radiologist says highly suspicious for malignancy.  Oncologist referred me to colorectal surgeon who I see on Monday.  Onc. says I need open surgery to see what and where it is.  My problem is that I live in NV and am not confident in any treatment here.  I have approval for Mayo but they can't see me without a confirmed diagnoses by biopsy.  I don't want to be opened up by a Dr that I am not confident in however that seems to be my only option.  Any suggestions?  

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    edited April 2021 #2
    So sorry to hear all of this.

I live in rural NW Arizona and have the same issue with llack of confidence in the local hospital. As luck would have it I was on the East coast when diagnosed in 2018 and had all my important surgery done in Northern Virginia. I did go to Mayo Phoenix for a second opinion regarding treatment for lung mets and have to say the oncologist was the most unfeeling,uncaring, curt, rude and   arrogant young man I have had the misfortune to meet. He basically told me I had a year to live and had no options. Well that was over 2 years ago and I am  still in remission. Just saying that I was not all that impressed by the one young male oncologist at Mayo Phoenix. I believe TruBrit lives in Nevada, perhaps she knows of some good docs there?

• grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    edited April 2021 #3

So sorry to hear all of this.

I live in rural NW Arizona and have the same issue with llack of confidence in the local hospital. As luck would have it I was on the East coast when diagnosed in 2018 and had all my important surgery done in Northern Virginia. I did go to Mayo Phoenix for a second opinion regarding treatment for lung mets and have to say the oncologist was the most unfeeling,uncaring, curt, rude and   arrogant young man I have had the misfortune to meet. He basically told me I had a year to live and had no options. Well that was over 2 years ago and I am  still in remission. Just saying that I was not all that impressed by the one young male oncologist at Mayo Phoenix. I believe TruBrit lives in Nevada, perhaps she knows of some good docs there?

Thank you for your response. 

Thank you for your response.  I am so sorry you had to experience the lack of human caring and professionalism at Mayo.  I am so happy that you are in remission and pray that it continues.  I am not sure what to do but will continue to research as best as I can.  I will contact Trubrit if she doesn't contact me 1st.  (They gave me a 50/50 chance of surviving 1 year at my original diagnosis in 2007). I will not let FEAR control my life even though it gets a little scarey sometimes.

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    edited April 2021 #4
    This sounds alot like my dad's

This is almost exactly as whats been happened with my dad and he rejected exploratory surgery we ended up waiting and watching and it grew alot until we demanded a biopsy then after 5 months of a biopsy being to dangerous it magically became a option has the local hospital said why they won't do a biopsy ? I would talk to everyone you can at the local hospital for me it was a distract site supervisor until they agreed to a biopsy or if mayo won't take you look at another second opinion don't wait like me did now we are overcome with fear that we messed up . 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited April 2021 #5
    Also in Nevada

I live in rural Nevada, and have to travel round trip 3 hours, to get treatment in Reno. I had my surgeries there, my Radiation there and my Oncologist is there. 

I have had great surgeons. Great Oncologist and great Radiation Oncologist.  I couldn't afford to travel to any big Cancer center, and at the end of the day, I am happy enough - and seven years NED this month. 

Tru

• grammadebbie
    edited May 2021 #6

This sounds alot like my dad's

This is almost exactly as whats been happened with my dad and he rejected exploratory surgery we ended up waiting and watching and it grew alot until we demanded a biopsy then after 5 months of a biopsy being to dangerous it magically became a option has the local hospital said why they won't do a biopsy ? I would talk to everyone you can at the local hospital for me it was a distract site supervisor until they agreed to a biopsy or if mayo won't take you look at another second opinion don't wait like me did now we are overcome with fear that we messed up . 

biopsy

I am so sorry to hear about your experiences with getting treatment for your dad.  I will pray for you all.  I am approved to see a local colorectal surgeon May 3rd.  I just don't want to be opened up for a biopsy by someone who does not have the latest technology and experience for treatment.  I am sseeking information on a CT or PET assisted core biopsy.  I will know more after my appointment .  I have learned that we have to take charge and educate ourselves in order to get the best treatment possible.  Even though my PET is positive all the major cancer centers need me to have a biopsy for definitive diagnoses before they can see me.  I understand the fear you are experiencing...just remember... we are doing the best we can to fight the monster.

• grammadebbie
    edited May 2021 #7
    Trubrit said:

Also in Nevada

I live in rural Nevada, and have to travel round trip 3 hours, to get treatment in Reno. I had my surgeries there, my Radiation there and my Oncologist is there. 

I have had great surgeons. Great Oncologist and great Radiation Oncologist.  I couldn't afford to travel to any big Cancer center, and at the end of the day, I am happy enough - and seven years NED this month. 

Tru

Thank you

Thank you Tru.   I also can't afford to travel but trying to get into cancer center where I can stay with friends.  I appreciate your input.  I will know more after speaking with colorectal surgeon on Monday.  So glad to hear you  are NED 7 years.  I had a doctor tell me recently that even though in 2007 I was Stage IIIc they may now consider this a new cancer rather than grading it a Stage 4 because it has been so long.  Very confusing.  Seems like evveryone has a different opinion.

So good to see that you are still active on this site.  I remember when you first came on.