PSA Nadir of 0.3 1year after Radiation on Jan 2017 and last reading of 2.3 in March of 2021

JJMWFF1955
JJMWFF1955 Member Posts: 20 Member

Comments

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Member Posts: 1,284 Member
    edited April 2021 #2
    Need more info

What kind of treatment did you have so far?

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 978 Member
    PSA bounce

Hi,

Your PSA might be bouncing around after your radiation treatment.  Old Salt is right, more info would certainly help.  I have included a link about PSA bounce you can read.  And remember, three data points make a trend so another few PSA reading should let you know whats going on.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/what-is-a-psa-bounce-20090929196

Dave 3+4

• Georges Calvez
    Georges Calvez Member Posts: 547 Member
    edited April 2021 #4
    More data

Hi there,

Could you provide us with more details on your treatment and your PSA results please?
    Obviously you have results between January 2017 and March 2021.
    The search function on this site is not a lot of use, I have tried looking for your previous posts, and I was unable to find them.
    Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Georges

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

More data

Hi there,

Could you provide us with more details on your treatment and your PSA results please?
    The search function on this site is not a lot of use, I have tried looking for your previous posts, and I was unable to find them.
    Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Georges

Polite....

George C said, politely and very accurately, that Search and Cross-Reference capabilities here, eh, suck....

• JJMWFF1955
    edited April 2021 #6

PSA bounce

Hi,

Your PSA might be bouncing around after your radiation treatment.  Old Salt is right, more info would certainly help.  I have included a link about PSA bounce you can read.  And remember, three data points make a trend so another few PSA reading should let you know whats going on.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/what-is-a-psa-bounce-20090929196

Dave 3+4

PSA of 2.3 in March of 2021

I had Axumin scan a week ago and the scan showed that the cancer has masticized to two lymph nodes. The oncologist put me on Eligard yesterday and wants to put me on Erleada in a few weeks after he gets it approved but problem is the Health Insurance company calls yesterday after i get home and denies this drug.  It cost $13000 a month and that I cannot afford unless the incurance helps. I am 81 years old now and have been fighting PCa for over 4 years now. This denial has caused me to become very depressed about this disease and now I am wondering that does a man that is trying to get cured of PCa need to be rich to afford treatment?  

Does anyone have any knowledge about Erleada?  

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member

I had Axumin scan a week ago and the scan showed that the cancer has masticized to two lymph nodes. The oncologist put me on Eligard yesterday and wants to put me on Erleada in a few weeks after he gets it approved but problem is the Health Insurance company calls yesterday after i get home and denies this drug.  It cost $13000 a month and that I cannot afford unless the incurance helps. I am 81 years old now and have been fighting PCa for over 4 years now. This denial has caused me to become very depressed about this disease and now I am wondering that does a man that is trying to get cured of PCa need to be rich to afford treatment?  

Money

JJ,

I assume you are on Medicade ?  Or an Advantage plan ?  I am not familiar with either of your drugs, but unless they are still experimental, there should be some way to get them paid for.   Ask your doctor for alternatives if not.    I was on chemo for a different cancer in 2009 for six months.   The DRUG COST was $50,000 per month, which did not include doctor or scan fees, or labs.   I asked the doctor about this later, and he said "that was the ASKING price.  What insurance would actually PAY, and what the pharmacy GOT, was WAYY less, and always is."

Do not give up on this fight.

• JJMWFF1955

More data

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Georges

My PSA

was Nadir of 0.3  one year after Rad which was in 2018 then slowly went up to 2.3 in March of 2021 and the found cancer in the two of lymph nodes so now I'm back on Eligard and supposed to go on Erleada but since denied by my health insurance now I have to get back with Urologist to see what can be done. 

• JJMWFF1955
    edited April 2021 #9

Money

JJ,

I assume you are on Medicade ?  Or an Advantage plan ?  I am not familiar with either of your drugs, but unless they are still experimental, there should be some way to get them paid for.   Ask your doctor for alternatives if not.    I was on chemo for a different cancer in 2009 for six months.   The DRUG COST was $50,000 per month, which did not include doctor or scan fees, or labs.   I asked the doctor about this later, and he said "that was the ASKING price.  What insurance would actually PAY, and what the pharmacy GOT, was WAYY less, and always is."

Do not give up on this fight.

Advantage plan

right i am on Medicare Advantage plan 

• JJMWFF1955

Sorry

have not been on this forum for while so that is why you see bits and pieces but it's not easy to get treatment when your health company starts denying almost everything you need to get treatment.  I don't know if it is because I am on Medicare advantage or not but I have two Doctors working on this and both are in agreement. All I need is more cooperation with my health care company. 

• hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    edited April 2021 #11

My PSA

was Nadir of 0.3  one year after Rad which was in 2018 then slowly went up to 2.3 in March of 2021 and the found cancer in the two of lymph nodes so now I'm back on Eligard and supposed to go on Erleada but since denied by my health insurance now I have to get back with Urologist to see what can be done. 

Medical oncologist

....is the best qualified doctor to evaluate and administer drugs to treat...not the urologist.........best

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 372 Member
    Medical Oncologist

As Hopeful stated, the Medical Oncologist is the person that I as a layperson strongly suggest that you have as the medical professional managing your PCa care.  They are best qualified to prescribe the correct drugs at the appropriate time during your ongoing treatments, as there are many drug treatment options available (specific drugs and treatment durations).  Since Day #1, I've had a Medical Oncologist overseeing my medical care during my PCa journey.  I've had Surgeons and Radiation Oncologists come and go, when recommended by my Medical Oncologist, but my Medical Oncologist has always been the leader of my team of medical professionals, and will remain so until the end.