Recent results of prostatectomy, with detectable PSA

2»

Comments

• Arnoldpig
    Arnoldpig Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2021 #22
    Thanks for the info

Thanks Max, Old Salt, VG, and Josephg for the info this forum is great..

Arnold P

• Arnoldpig
    edited February 2021 #23
    I was prescribed to take the drug Bicalutamide any opinions on t

I was prescribed to take this pill Bicalutamide 50mg once a day for 30 days along with my 3 month shot of Eligard before I start radiation march 30th. Anyone know what the pill is for or what it will do..

Thanks Arnold P

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    edited February 2021 #24
    Preventing "flare"

Bicalutamide is an antiandrogen. It works at cells' androgen receptors preventing these from absorbing testosterone (the bandit 's food).

Typically it starts being taken one or two weeks before the initial Lupron shot to avoid "flare". Flare represents a sudden surge/increase of the testosterone. It is a condition caused by Lupron during the initial one to two weeks post shot.

The side effects of bicalutamide are usually mild but it can lower the libido (or cause ED) and influence periods of hot flashes. Guys with acute cardiovascular issues should inform their doctor.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. 

VG 

• Arnoldpig
    edited February 2021 #25

Preventing "flare"

Bicalutamide is an antiandrogen. It works at cells' androgen receptors preventing these from absorbing testosterone (the bandit 's food).

Typically it starts being taken one or two weeks before the initial Lupron shot to avoid "flare". Flare represents a sudden surge/increase of the testosterone. It is a condition caused by Lupron during the initial one to two weeks post shot.

The side effects of bicalutamide are usually mild but it can lower the libido (or cause ED) and influence periods of hot flashes. Guys with acute cardiovascular issues should inform their doctor.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. 

VG 

Thanks VG

Thanks again VG