5 year+ survivors of endometrial cancer

Are there any 5 year + survivors of endometrial cancer in this group? If so, would you mind replying with your diagnosis and treatment you had completed? I would really appreciate it as it gives many of us hope as we charter these unknown waters....Thank you.

Comments

• tinacap77
    tinacap77 Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2021 #2
    ConnieSW said:

There are

Many of us and many more who have moved on with their lives and no longer come here.  Click on my name and it will bring you to my data. 

What was your original

What was your original diagnosis? Did you only do the brachytherapy or did you do external as well? Congratulations and thank you for responding.

• oldbeauty
    oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member
    Yes, we are many

Hello tinacap77, please click on my screen name for my story.  I have lived with this disease for 15 years, and am about to pursue my 5th treatment to keep it under control.  You will find an active and supportive group here.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited January 2021 #4
    Hi Tinacap77. I actually hit

Hi Tinacap77. I actually hit my 5 year post treatment anniversary 2 days ago! I had the standard treatment of 6 carbo/taxol and then 5 treatments of brachy therapy. I had UPSC stage 1A.

As the other ladies said, there are lots of us that are still around. Many come and go on the board. Others stop visiting after they have completed everything.

There is a lot of information here that can help you through your journey. A couple of older threads are worth the read: 'ladies going through chemo' and 'let's talk about radiation'. 

Come back with any questions.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• EZLiving66
    EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited January 2021 #5
    Hi Tina! I was diagnosed with

Hi Tina! I was diagnosed with UPSC, Stage II or III (incomplete staging), Grade 3 in September of 2015. I had a total hysterectomy followed by three chemotherapies of Taxotere and Carboplatin. The plan was for six but after the third chemo I had a mild stroke and the chemo was stopped. My oncologist/gynecologist did not recommend radiation but told me when and if it came back, they could do it then. 

So far, knock-on-wood, it hasn't come back. I still have some nasty side-effects from the chemo but have a good life - we sold our business, retired, and moved to a 55+ community in Florida.

I hope this helps! You can read all about my journey on my blog.

Love,

Eldri 

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 476 Member
    edited January 2021 #6
    Diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer in 1999

Hello Tina,

I was diagnosed with surgical stage 1C, clinical stage 2B, grade 2, endometrioid adenocarcinoma in April 1999.  The reason for the two stages is that my gynecologic oncologist did not agree with the pathologist's staging.  My gyn-onc was convinced that my tumor had invaded the cervix, while the pathologist concluded that it had not.  Also, the staging system has changed since my diagnosis, so there is no longer a stage 1C.  I had a radical hysterectomy, pelvic and paraaortic lymphadenectomy (removal of 30 lymph nodes), and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy.  After surgery, due to a number of risk factors for recurrence including extensive LVSI, tumor deeply invasive into the myometrium (approximately 80%), and tumor arising in the lower uterine segment, I had five weeks of external radiation, followed by two days in isolation in the hospital for vaginal brachytherapy, which was the way internal radiation was done 21 years ago when I was treated. 

Wishing you the best!

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    edited January 2021 #7
    9 years to date

In 2012 I was diagnosed with endometrial adenocarcinoma, Grade 1, stage 1a.  Hysterectomy was followed by brachytherapy.  I was pronounced free of cancer.  Two years later I had a CT scan for hip pain, but it was negative.  Four years after that an MRI showed a pelvic mass that had invaded my hip joint.  Subsequent PET scan showed lesions in both lungs. At this point I had external pelvic radiation and chemo. It has now been three years since the recurrence was discovered.  I'm taking Megace to control it and they refer to it as stable disease.

Good luck to you!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    edited January 2021 #8
    There are

Many of us and many more who have moved on with their lives and no longer come here.  Click on my name and it will bring you to my data. 

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    tinacap77 said:

What was your original

What was your original diagnosis? Did you only do the brachytherapy or did you do external as well? Congratulations and thank you for responding.

Answers

UPSC 1A.  No external radiation.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Hi Tinacap77. I actually hit my 5 year post treatment anniversary 2 days ago! I had the standard treatment of 6 carbo/taxol and then 5 treatments of brachy therapy. I had UPSC stage 1A.

As the other ladies said, there are lots of us that are still around. Many come and go on the board. Others stop visiting after they have completed everything.

There is a lot of information here that can help you through your journey. A couple of older threads are worth the read: 'ladies going through chemo' and 'let's talk about radiation'. 

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Congrats

Cindi,

Great news about hitting the five-year milestone! Hope you can find some way to celebrate, despite the restrictions.

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Hi Tina!

Hi Tina!

I have been one of the fortunate ones as I was diagnosed early with stage 1/grade 1 endometrial cancer in 2012. It was the 'garden variety' kind, and it only invaded 11% into the uterine wall.

I required surgery and follow up appointments. No chemo or radiation.

However, as evidenced by Friday's Child post even early stage cancer can reoccur. While I don't feel the intense anxiety about a possible recurrence I used to I think the fear will always be in the back of my mind.

That being said I would point out cancer no longer rules my thoughts on a regular basis. I try to focus on gratitude. So many others have had more difficult struggles yet have fought and carried on for many years. We have witnessed that here on the board.

Have faith!

Kathy

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    Six years living with this

Six years living with this disease. You can read about the various treatmnts I have had if you click on my picture. I think it likely there are many of us living with this cancer for 5+ years.

Jan

• els19
    els19 Member Posts: 106 Member

I was diagnosed in April of 2014 of UPSC lllc. I made it almost 6 years NED when I recurred last August. I'm currently in treatment. But don't let my recurrence make you think this isn't a success story. I did have almost six years without any treatment and I'm still hoping for the best. Sometimes cancer is treated as a chronic illness and in the almost seven years I've been following this board I've seen many go through treatment again with success. Many others are doing well and check in on anniversaries. So, yes there are five year survivors out there! 

• els19
    els19 Member Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2021 #14

I was diagnosed in April of 2014 of UPSC lllc. I made it almost 6 years NED when I recurred last August. I'm currently in treatment. But don't let my recurrence make you think this isn't a success story. I did have almost six years without any treatment and I'm still hoping for the best. Sometimes cancer is treated as a chronic illness and in the almost seven years I've been following this board I've seen many go through treatment again with success. Many others are doing well and check in on anniversaries. So, yes there are five year survivors out there! 

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    edited February 2021 #15
    cmb said:

Congrats

Cindi,

Great news about hitting the five-year milestone! Hope you can find some way to celebrate, despite the restrictions.

Thanks CMB! Time has really

Thanks CMB! Time has really flown by.  I'm grateful for every day.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• yetti
    yetti Member Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2021 #16
    2 yrs NED

I WILL BE 2 yrs NED APRIL 18 2021, AS MOST OF YOU SURVIVORS IT HAS  BEEN A ROUGH  F ING ROAD !  I WAS DX JUNE 2018 with stage 4 B endometrial cancer figo 2 had metastasized to lungs and omentum, I had 6 rounds of chemo laproscopic hysterectomy and

3 more chemos with Avastin !  Im on letrozole as a hormone blocker  Bc I'm hr + pR+  hormone driven cancer, my last chemo

was March 29 2019 !  And will be my final one !  I don't plan on any more chemo, regardless of any recurrence  !  I don't have the fight in me to go through that hell again! I lost most of my hair I looked like riff raff from Rocky horror picture show! I had it shaved bald , believe it  or not it is still  short and has come in thin thanks to letrozole!  Im very dissatisfied in my hair growth over a year 1/2 and still short thin and ages me  I was 59 in Dec but look ? and feel 65  ! Cancer the gift that just keeps on giving !

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,352 Member

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Yeah, Cindi!  I hope you

Yeah, Cindi!  I hope you celebrated!

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited February 2021 #18
    UPSC Stage 1A on 4/5/12. 

UPSC Stage 1A on 4/5/12.  (not that I know the date!) six chemo and both external and brachy radiotherapy

• NoTimeForCancer
    edited February 2021 #19
    yetti said:

2 yrs NED

I WILL BE 2 yrs NED APRIL 18 2021, AS MOST OF YOU SURVIVORS IT HAS  BEEN A ROUGH  F ING ROAD !  I WAS DX JUNE 2018 with stage 4 B endometrial cancer figo 2 had metastasized to lungs and omentum, I had 6 rounds of chemo laproscopic hysterectomy and

3 more chemos with Avastin !  Im on letrozole as a hormone blocker  Bc I'm hr + pR+  hormone driven cancer, my last chemo

was March 29 2019 !  And will be my final one !  I don't plan on any more chemo, regardless of any recurrence  !  I don't have the fight in me to go through that hell again! I lost most of my hair I looked like riff raff from Rocky horror picture show! I had it shaved bald , believe it  or not it is still  short and has come in thin thanks to letrozole!  Im very dissatisfied in my hair growth over a year 1/2 and still short thin and ages me  I was 59 in Dec but look ? and feel 65  ! Cancer the gift that just keeps on giving !

yetti, I am sorry to hear

yetti, I am sorry to hear about your hair.  I remember being bald and how much I hated it.  I hope you can find a better place with it. 

• tinacap77
    tinacap77 Member Posts: 27 Member

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Thank you fir your support

Thank you fir your support and info about some old posts that are still relevant.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    edited February 2021 #21

Yeah, Cindi!  I hope you

Yeah, Cindi!  I hope you celebrated!

Thanks NoTime. I haven't

Thanks NoTime. I haven't formally celebrated yet. My 5 year check up is next week. Maybe my husband and I can get some 'to go' food for a change! lol.....

I still wake up feeling happy and healthy every day. What a gift! I know I'm one of the very fortunate ones.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi