2021 Is this the year they'll find a cure?

EZLiving66
EZLiving66 Member Posts: 1,482 Member

I know a lot of us here have a high-grade cancer. For most uterine cancer victims, a hysterectomy does the trick especially if it's in its early stages. They come here for help when they're diagnosed and we help them through the surgery but then they're gone. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy for them. But for most of us who have been here for a while, that's not the case. We're here for the long haul.

I pray that this is the year there will be a huge breakthrough and "they" will solve the puzzle of who lives and who dies so we ALL can live. I have been extremely lucky so far but I'm not kidding myself that I'm out-of-the-woods.

The support I've received for over five years here has been tremendous and my resolution is to participate more. Even if I don't have expertise in the new women's problem, I can at least pipe in to say hi and let her know that other women will be along shortly to help. I'm sure some of you remember Loretta Marshall - that woman was a wealth of information and always willing to help. Although I'm sure no Loretta, at least I can give other women a virtual hug (((Anyone who needs a hug))) and some encouragement.

Thank you all for being there for me!! 

Want to hear a funny story?? I have never cut my hair since it started to grow back in 2015. It came back pure white and wavy AND is way past my waist. But every once in a while, I get some yellowing. So, I had bought this shampoo online - it's dark brown but worked like a charm!  Last week I went to reorder on Amazon and it was no longer available. So....I looked at other products to take the yellow out and found this purple stuff with four and a half stars. Should be good, right?? I even did a little pre-test on my hair and it seems to work.

We were planning on going out to an early dinner on New Year's Eve with our next-door neighbors, so I got in the shower and lathered up. Everything was purple in the shower including the shower doors, but it all rinsed off. After I rinsed my hair I used my regular conditioner, got out, and wrapped my hair in a towel to dry it a little.....I take off the towel and OMG, my hair is purple!! And, not just a little purple either!! Especially my newer hair near my head is REALLY purple! I got back in the shower and washed my hair three more times with regular shampoo and it's still purple!! 

So, I called my dear friend and neighbor next door who sometimes does some funky, fun things like putting different colors in her hair to come over ASAP. She said she uses some stuff that washes out after a few times but said she heard that Dawn dish detergent will take it out so we tried that....no dice! Then we tried Tide liquid and I think it got WORSE!! And it's not like I can get it cut off - it's the hair right next to my head. I'd have to shave my head!!  Ela, my neighbor, told me I looked cool. I knew she was trying to make me feel better but I decided what the h*ll!! I went around for months looking like Uncle Fester when I lost all my hair, was this any worse?? I got all dressed up and we left. I was feeling pretty miserable when we got to the restaurant and it was still light out but I bravely walked through the parking lot hoping no one would see me with my purple, wavy, past-my-waist hair. The first person who saw me, a total stranger, said, "Wow, cool hair! I LOVE it." If we weren't in this Covid mess I would have grabbed her and squeezed the stuffings out of her. I don't know who she was but those few words turned my whole night around. I still feel good all over when I think about it.

From now on, I'm going to be that woman any time I possibly can! Because, who knows when a few kind words can turn a person's life around?

Love,

Eldri

PS. Tomorrow I'm going to call a saloon and see if they can make my purple hair white again. I'll let you know how it works out!! LOL

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Great story!

Eldri

Thank you for sharing that!   I am laughing.  Its great to hear these stories.   But I want pictures!   lol

Love and hugs,

Kathy

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Oh Eldri!

We love you so much.  I'm going to take a page out of the young generation's book and say "Pics or it didn't happen!"  This we have to see!

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 381 Member
    So funny!

Oh, Eldri! You are hysterical!! Thanks for sharing that story! I can picture you in that parking lot now!

i was always blonde, but by my twenties had to start helping it along and started "frosting." I've continued that all these decades and I do it myself...use the cap, pull it through...a lot of trouble, but it's always exactly what I want! NO hairdresser mess-ups!

And I've been using purple shampoos for 4+ decades! For blondes.....and grays (which I also have!)... it's supposed to keep it from getting "brassy" or too yellow! I've never had a problem with it making me purple!! ?

Good luck! I hope whatever happens it keeps you smiling! You're a treasure!

❌⭕️, Alicia

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    edited January 2021 #5
    How funny! I've never had

How funny! I've never had purple shampoo make my hair purple either. I died my hair purple when I found out I was going to need chemo. Bright purple. I figured it'll all be gone in several weeks anyway, and I was off work. It was fun and I loved it.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    edited January 2021 #6
    Only you, Eldri

I bet you look really cool. Embrace it. The young people will be so impressed!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited January 2021 #7
    Eldri, for all the years you

Eldri, for all the years you have been here you ALWAYS bring it!  LOL!  Wow.  I so needed the laugh today and I am sure you wore it with style!  THANK YOU!

• Frances081920
    Frances081920 Member Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2021 #8
    what an awesome

what an awesome story, I laughed out loud! I hope you get it straightened out, but a little fun never hurt anyone.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    edited January 2021 #9
    Love that story!

Literally laughed out loud when I read this.  I can't imagine my hair growing that long but I'm sure it's beautiful whatever color it is!

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    edited January 2021 #10
    What a hoot

Eldri, thanks for the laugh. I've used the purple shampoo too, without ending up with purple hair, but now I'm thinking it might have been good fun if it had!

• Molly110
    Molly110 Member Posts: 191 Member
    edited January 2021 #11
    I'm so sorry that you don't

I'm so sorry that you don't like your hair. I think purple hair is very cool! I've long wanted to die my hair pastel pink. blue, and purple, but I've never had much gray, so I would've had to have my hair bleached before it could be dyed in pastels. I thought perhaps my hair would grow back white all over, but no such luck.  (I love that your hair has grown back so long. My hair is growing back extremely slowly -- about 3 inches a year after my last chemo -- and my fear has been that I will die before it grows back.  Because it's so curly, it looks even shorter than it is, and I still get speculative looks from people wondering if I've had chemo.)

Happy New Year,

Molly

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited January 2021 #12
    More Purple

Eldri, I though of you right away when I read this story:

https://www.thedodo.com/daily-dodo/woman-accidentally-turns-dog-purple

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    I love it! I've often toyed

I love it! I've often toyed with the idea of purple or blue hair but I have brown hair and would have to bleach it too. My hair is still quite short two and a half years after my last chemo. 

Jan

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    cmb said:

More Purple

Eldri, I though of you right away when I read this story:

https://www.thedodo.com/daily-dodo/woman-accidentally-turns-dog-purple

Love it, cmb

I wonder if Eldri still has her dog. They could have matching hair!