My Journey

Comments

• The Cincinnati Kid
    The Cincinnati Kid Member Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2020 #22
    Oh, I forgot to mention, in

Oh, I forgot to mention, in another thread I talked about the discovery of 2 new saliva glands which is very relevant to head and neck cancer treatment. Anyhow, I relayed the story to the nurse and she promised me that when she emails the radiation doc that I showed up today and the mask will be ready in 10-12 days that she would mention that in her email. 

If you have no idea what I'm talking about the thread is 'Important new discovery" posted Dec 10th 2020

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 483 Member
    edited December 2020 #23
    TCK,

I remember when radiation was all over, the ladies gave me a big hug, and asked if I wanted to keep my mask as a memento.

I pictured it laying around in my garage for 10 years, and me eventually throwing it away - so I didn't want it.... LOL

You'll be "ringing the bell" before you know it!

mg

• The Cincinnati Kid
    Yeah. I asked about keeping

Yeah. I asked about keeping it but the nose on the mask is very pointy so your probably right, it'll lie in storage for 10 yrs then get tossed!

btw, gotta ask....Is Logan51 your twin brother? I mean yer pics are very similar!

• motorcycleguy

Yeah. I asked about keeping

Yeah. I asked about keeping it but the nose on the mask is very pointy so your probably right, it'll lie in storage for 10 yrs then get tossed!

btw, gotta ask....Is Logan51 your twin brother? I mean yer pics are very similar!

TCK,

LOL - actually, I think that might be Wolverine (Hugh Jackman).

Or maybe, Logan may just happen to look like him, also!

I'll take that as a compliment, though - thanks!

I'm glad you're already past the scariest part of the process ... getting started.

You seem to be a very positive person, which will carry you through.

Remember - it all gets better ... once it's all over!

mg

• The Cincinnati Kid
    edited December 2020 #26
    Yeah, thanks. The funniest

Yeah, thanks. The funniest thing so far is that everybody asks you how you're feeling, with that sad concerned look.... including my regular doc. The answer of course is ...I feel great! Its the treatment that makes you feel bad, not the disease! I've actually made a point of asking all friends / relatives to treat me like the normal as#@ole I am....thats what is needed! I dont need sympathy and sad looks.....thanks!

I recall the strange behaviour of wifes friends and relatives when she went thru her struggle years ago.....some people dissapear, some are overly weepy and sympathetic. I guess people dont really know how to respond (not their fault) but I think the truth is,,,,just be normal!....thats pretty simple.

• motorcycleguy

Yeah, thanks. The funniest

Yeah, thanks. The funniest thing so far is that everybody asks you how you're feeling, with that sad concerned look.... including my regular doc. The answer of course is ...I feel great! Its the treatment that makes you feel bad, not the disease! I've actually made a point of asking all friends / relatives to treat me like the normal as#@ole I am....thats what is needed! I dont need sympathy and sad looks.....thanks!

I recall the strange behaviour of wifes friends and relatives when she went thru her struggle years ago.....some people dissapear, some are overly weepy and sympathetic. I guess people dont really know how to respond (not their fault) but I think the truth is,,,,just be normal!....thats pretty simple.

TCK,

I guess that's the advantage of talking to people who have been through it. They know what to expect, that it's going to be tough ... but, yet it's perfectly survivable.

I don't envy you the journey through it. All I can tell you is that you will finish, and life will be good. In fact, you'll find that the little things won't bother you so much. Things that seemed so important, before ... may never bother you again!

In general, I believe that people will be very helpful, if you let them. I also think you can inspire others, (and yourself) by keeping your spirits up!

You're already talking about your experiences openly. The people I would get REALLY worried about, are those that keep it all to themselves...

mg

• PipLily
    PipLily Member Posts: 127 Member

TCK,

I guess that's the advantage of talking to people who have been through it. They know what to expect, that it's going to be tough ... but, yet it's perfectly survivable.

I don't envy you the journey through it. All I can tell you is that you will finish, and life will be good. In fact, you'll find that the little things won't bother you so much. Things that seemed so important, before ... may never bother you again!

In general, I believe that people will be very helpful, if you let them. I also think you can inspire others, (and yourself) by keeping your spirits up!

You're already talking about your experiences openly. The people I would get REALLY worried about, are those that keep it all to themselves...

mg

True!

So true mg! Talking to people who have been through it is so helpful, because you’re not afraid to talk about it. People were afraid to ask my husband about his cancer........it wasn’t depressing to us to talk about it ~ was just a part of what was reality at the time. 

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #29
    TCK,

One thing I learned is to TAKE CHARGE of my own treatment schedule; the great people in our medical professions do their best, but reminders (to them) about appointments and tests are a great idea!

Also, you mentioned your wife. Is she able to attend appointments with you?

The first treatment is scary - but you'll find they're not so bad after that first one...

Have a great holiday season - one that you'll remember forever!!

mg

• The Cincinnati Kid
    edited January 2021 #30
    Holy cow! Jan 8th. Had a

Holy cow! Jan 8th. Had a heart attack! At home around 2pm, started sweating like I'm dressed for winter and in a sauna....absolutly soaked. A little trouble brrething and a mild chest pain. I tell the wife....Take me to the ER! Luckily its 2 miles away. We might have ran 2 red lights.  Long story short I'm there in 5 min, on the table surrounded by medical personal in 10 minutes and I end up with 2 stints in what was a blocked artery. Marvels of modern medicine, I'm fixed through inserting stint via vein / artery by the wrist and though they wanted to keep me 1 more day, I'm discharged 24 hrs later. Surgeon tells wife it was very serious but getting there quick...I'm lucky and no permanant heart damage. Another 10 miutes Id have been dead man walking.

Awesomely, My chemo doctor visited me in Cardio recovery! Said should be no effect on proceding with treatment thoug he needs sign off from cardio doc. the 1st chemo is scheduled for Jan 22, Rad treatment starts Jan 19.

Trying to figure out if I'm the luckiest man alive or the unluckiest man alive.

• RodgerM
    RodgerM Member Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2021 #31

Holy cow! Jan 8th. Had a

Holy cow! Jan 8th. Had a heart attack! At home around 2pm, started sweating like I'm dressed for winter and in a sauna....absolutly soaked. A little trouble brrething and a mild chest pain. I tell the wife....Take me to the ER! Luckily its 2 miles away. We might have ran 2 red lights.  Long story short I'm there in 5 min, on the table surrounded by medical personal in 10 minutes and I end up with 2 stints in what was a blocked artery. Marvels of modern medicine, I'm fixed through inserting stint via vein / artery by the wrist and though they wanted to keep me 1 more day, I'm discharged 24 hrs later. Surgeon tells wife it was very serious but getting there quick...I'm lucky and no permanant heart damage. Another 10 miutes Id have been dead man walking.

Awesomely, My chemo doctor visited me in Cardio recovery! Said should be no effect on proceding with treatment thoug he needs sign off from cardio doc. the 1st chemo is scheduled for Jan 22, Rad treatment starts Jan 19.

Wow that's shocking, but good

Wow that's shocking, but good your okay.  Dang if cancer wasn't enough.  Hang in there , your get thru this..  ??  For you. 
    rodger 

• The Cincinnati Kid
    edited January 2021 #32
    RodgerM said:

Wow that's shocking, but good

Wow that's shocking, but good your okay.  Dang if cancer wasn't enough.  Hang in there , your get thru this..  ??  For you. 
    rodger 

Thanks, and thanks for your

Thanks, and thanks for your updates on your thread. Very helpful.

Actually, I feel quite indestructable now!

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,452 Member
    edited January 2021 #33
    Wow Congrats

On getting through another major health event as if cancer wasn't enough. Thankful you got it taken care of in time and you have no permanent damage. Take care-God Bless-Russ

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #34
    CK,

Dang, buddy - I'm glad your wife got you there in time!

Take your time and heal up...

mg

• The Cincinnati Kid
    Oddly, its very much like the

Oddly, its very much like the earlier comment I made on this thread re when peope think you're sick becuase you have cancer ....but you feel great as its the treatment, not the illness. Same thing here in my lucky case as there was no damage. I actually feel better. Freind of mine who had to be revived with the paddles....CLEAR!...said the same thing....you'll feel better now....and I do. In hindsight there were some very mild, barely noticable symptoms. Couple of high BP readings, bit of shortness of breath lugging groceries upstairs. 

Anyhow, good job my wife is a leadfoot behind the wheel!

Next up is a vacation this weekend and tretment starts for me Tues 19th.

btw, brought a bunch of high end cookies for the Cardio staff and the recovery staff....they saved my **** after all. 

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member

Holy cow! Jan 8th. Had a

Wow!

All I can think of is that real estate mantra - location, location, locatiobn!  It's a good thing you live where you live.  Glad you're still with us!

• The Cincinnati Kid
    edited January 2021 #37
    Ok, we're off. Treatment #1

Ok, we're off. Treatment #1 of 33 today. Lie down on the machine, much the same as the CT scan. Imobilised using the mask made previously. I'm told I'm on a fairly high dose of rad. Nothing much to report after one treatment. No noticable side effects. All further treatments will be at 1pm which was the time I asked for, other than the 3 chemo days, the first of which is Friday. On those days, the rad will be first thing in the morning. Only tips I have for you is, wear a thin, light tee shirt. I didnt and had to take all my upper layers off. Day 1 took about 25 minutes. I'm told the rest will be 10-15 minutes. 

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #38

Ok, we're off. Treatment #1

Ok, we're off. Treatment #1 of 33 today. Lie down on the machine, much the same as the CT scan. Imobilised using the mask made previously. I'm told I'm on a fairly high dose of rad. Nothing much to report after one treatment. No noticable side effects. All further treatments will be at 1pm which was the time I asked for, other than the 3 chemo days, the first of which is Friday. On those days, the rad will be first thing in the morning. Only tips I have for you is, wear a thin, light tee shirt. I didnt and had to take all my upper layers off. Day 1 took about 25 minutes. I'm told the rest will be 10-15 minutes. 

TCK,

Well, the first one is the scariest. After this - they will all seem pretty routine.

Countdown begins - 1 down, 32 to go! (You'll be done before you know it!)

Hang in there, bud!

mg

• Dave705
    Dave705 Member Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2021 #39
    Good Luck

Wishing you all the best of luck in your treatments. Getting through the first treatment with no problems is great. Hang in there and you will get through this. Things may get tougher, but you can do it. Stay strong. Dave

• The Cincinnati Kid
    edited January 2021 #40
    2nd rad today and no issues

2nd rad today and no issues to report. Had a consult with the doc afterwards and he gave me some interesting perspective on how far this science has come over the last 10-20 yrs. The analogy is something like, 20 yrs ago if you wanted to take out the enemy, you'd bomb the whole city block. 10 yrs ago, you'd have a pinpoint strike on a building. Today you've got a drone that can whack 1 single bad guy. Facinating stuff.  Rad levels are apparantly adjusted in strength to target areas so the source of the cancer gets max dose, the area nearby gets high dose and surrounding at risk regions get a bit less.

Also, an update on the 2 new salivary gland discovery....doc was aware but said it had zero impact on treatment. Doc also said the mouthsores and the difficulties are going to appear around week 3 and to do the best you can possibly do to suck it up, eat and swallow as best you can. Biotene as a mouth rinse / mouth moisteriser was recomeneded. 

• motorcycleguy
    edited January 2021 #41

2nd rad today and no issues

2nd rad today and no issues to report. Had a consult with the doc afterwards and he gave me some interesting perspective on how far this science has come over the last 10-20 yrs. The analogy is something like, 20 yrs ago if you wanted to take out the enemy, you'd bomb the whole city block. 10 yrs ago, you'd have a pinpoint strike on a building. Today you've got a drone that can whack 1 single bad guy. Facinating stuff.  Rad levels are apparantly adjusted in strength to target areas so the source of the cancer gets max dose, the area nearby gets high dose and surrounding at risk regions get a bit less.

Also, an update on the 2 new salivary gland discovery....doc was aware but said it had zero impact on treatment. Doc also said the mouthsores and the difficulties are going to appear around week 3 and to do the best you can possibly do to suck it up, eat and swallow as best you can. Biotene as a mouth rinse / mouth moisteriser was recomeneded. 

TCK,

I'm glad you're having no issues, to date.

I do have a sort of funny story about mouth moisturizer. I would get up in the middle of the night with dry mouth, grab the bottle in the dark, and try to spray it in my mouth. For whatever reason, the spray bottle rarely seemed to work - and I used to get mad at it.

Then, after a month of this, I realized the bottle I was trying to use was a skin conditioner, anyway. With my sense of taste gone at the time, I couldn't tell the difference.

My girlfriend and I laughed about how lucky I was that the spray bottle malfunctioned often!... LOL

For the mouthsores, we mixed up a salt, baking soda and water solution. If I used it often, it seemed to keep mouth issues under control.

Hang in there, bud!

mg