Caregiver to MIL, Stage IV

Hi All,

I am new here- looking for support as a caregiver. My mother in law was recently diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer, which has spread to her stomach. She just finished her second dose (round?) of chemo, and is on her 4th day of feeling nauseous, barely able to keep anything down. She is receiving nutrients intravenously at night, but is in a lot of discomfort during the day and doesn't want to eat because she doesn't want to throw up. I am trying to get her to drink broth, but I don't want to force it on her. We are trying to incorporate a lot of ginger and bland foods, but I was wondering if there were any remedies we could try? Or any tips in general. Just concerned because she's already lost so much weight.

Thank you for your support.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited December 2020 #2
    Hello, and welcome to the forum

I am sorry to hear about your MIL and the discomfort that she is in. 

I'm not going to be much help, as I had vrey little nausea during chemo, thanks mostly to the medication.

When I did feel sick, I would pick on Cherrios. I too dropped a fair amount of weight, but had a little extra, so I wasn't hurting. 

Others will be along soon, with a better contribution. 

Tru

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited December 2020 #3
    First thing I would do is

First thing I would do is call the oncologist and say the anti nausea drug given is not working, give her another one. I am fortunate that the one they give me during infusion lasts for 3 days. The rest of the time, I don't really get too nauseous, but I do if I go to long on an empty stomach, so I snack a lot. I do get indigestion, and was told to take meds for that. When I got my first chemo, they actually gave me two meds, one as a backup because sadly different ones work for different people, and they seem to have a few to work with.

Does your treatment center have a nutritionist. On my first infusion, one stopped by, and among other things, gave me a few page handout that had so many different reasons that some have trouble eating with the foods that are most tolerable under that scenario. 

Not in any of the literature, but I get a little queasy sometimes on infusion night, and I found that sucking on a Chloe Pop, which is an ice pop of real fruit and sugar. Guessing that wouldn't work for her, because probably on folfox which means no cold stuff. So maybe room temp juice. Oh, I think I saw that sucking on lemon candies help with some yuckies, like tasting metal.

I do find, for me, eating plain potatoes with vegan butter and salt, or pasta with a little olive oil, is easier on my stomach when I have to eat, but don't really feel like it.

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited December 2020 #4
    ask the doctor

there are meds which can be placed under the tongue rather than swallowed as a pill which can help with the nausea.

• Anna12
    Anna12 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2020 #5
    Trubrit said:

Hello, and welcome to the forum

I am sorry to hear about your MIL and the discomfort that she is in. 

I'm not going to be much help, as I had vrey little nausea during chemo, thanks mostly to the medication.

When I did feel sick, I would pick on Cherrios. I too dropped a fair amount of weight, but had a little extra, so I wasn't hurting. 

Others will be along soon, with a better contribution. 

Tru

Thank you so much! We will

Thank you so much! We will give cheerios a try. 

• Anna12
    edited December 2020 #6
    abita said:

First thing I would do is

First thing I would do is call the oncologist and say the anti nausea drug given is not working, give her another one. I am fortunate that the one they give me during infusion lasts for 3 days. The rest of the time, I don't really get too nauseous, but I do if I go to long on an empty stomach, so I snack a lot. I do get indigestion, and was told to take meds for that. When I got my first chemo, they actually gave me two meds, one as a backup because sadly different ones work for different people, and they seem to have a few to work with.

Does your treatment center have a nutritionist. On my first infusion, one stopped by, and among other things, gave me a few page handout that had so many different reasons that some have trouble eating with the foods that are most tolerable under that scenario. 

Not in any of the literature, but I get a little queasy sometimes on infusion night, and I found that sucking on a Chloe Pop, which is an ice pop of real fruit and sugar. Guessing that wouldn't work for her, because probably on folfox which means no cold stuff. So maybe room temp juice. Oh, I think I saw that sucking on lemon candies help with some yuckies, like tasting metal.

I do find, for me, eating plain potatoes with vegan butter and salt, or pasta with a little olive oil, is easier on my stomach when I have to eat, but don't really feel like it.

Thank you so much! This was

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. That's a great point about feeling nauseous when on an empty stomach. We are going to try and keep her snacking today to see if that makes any difference. She's not currently on chemo (stopped Saturday afternoon), so she can have cold foods now- so we'll check out the Chloe Pops too. 

Have you had a problem with dairy? I am thinking we need to eliminate dairy for a bit but wasn't sure if that's common for others too.

• Anna12
    edited December 2020 #7

ask the doctor

there are meds which can be placed under the tongue rather than swallowed as a pill which can help with the nausea.

That's great to know. She's

That's great to know. She's having trouble swallowing pills- and she's got a lot of them right now. We will check into you. Thank you so much!

• darcher
    darcher Member Posts: 304 Member
    edited December 2020 #8
    Be pushy

Although I didn't have anything close to the side affects you're reporting, from what I've seen the old saying of the squeaky wheel gets the grease applies. Bug the doctors until they get the right combo of meds to make her feel better.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited December 2020 #9
    Anna12 said:

Thank you so much! This was

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. That's a great point about feeling nauseous when on an empty stomach. We are going to try and keep her snacking today to see if that makes any difference. She's not currently on chemo (stopped Saturday afternoon), so she can have cold foods now- so we'll check out the Chloe Pops too. 

Have you had a problem with dairy? I am thinking we need to eliminate dairy for a bit but wasn't sure if that's common for others too.

I am a vegan, so never try

I am a vegan, so never try milk.