PSA 1550

124»

Comments

• Sidtippy2
    Sidtippy2 Member Posts: 37

Trial tests?

Hi Sidtippy,

Any chance your husband could get in on some clinical trials of genetic engineered drugs that use the immune sustem to fight cancer?  Sounds like the chemo is kicking his as. without much benefit.

Dave 3+4

He's been in 2 studies so far

He's been in 2 studies so far, both with an immune therapy component.  They each worked for about 6 months, then he leveled off for about 3 months, then started worsening.  The regime he is on now is also part of a study-Taxotere and either Keytruda or placebo.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,641 Member
    edited July 2020 #63
    You are doing well. Nothing is missed

Sid,

Thanks for continuing reporting on your husband’s situation. In my opinion there is no typical progression scale in a diagnosed prostate cancer case. Unfortunately to some, the bandit just doesn’t give up or slows down its advance demanding continuing fights, and from that the experience in suffering the effects of the treatments, independently of how extensive they are administered.

In my 20 years with the bandit I have seen the loss of my quality of life occurring treatment after treatment, since its beginning with surgery when I was a young 50 years old. Fortunately to me it was possible to extent my PCa situation with sequential and intermittent approaches. There were always a period of recovery post each therapy. Joe is doing well in stopping chemo to allow recovery from the drugs that are behind many of his unpleasant symptoms. Fatigue and pain are typical causes from the cancer. These will be hard to avoid particularly when we have a persistent systemic case.

I understand how difficult life has become to you too. He needs third-party help for common routines which is surprising to him causing depression. Joe is young and hospice would never be in his mind. I think that he will see some improvement once the drug’s effects fade away. It would be good to both of you if you take the chance and travel to that place you always wanted to see or revisit.
    In the end you need some wisdom. Joe has tried and fought well and won some battles along these two years. He will continue the war but he should also consider the quality of life no matter how long that will be.

Best wishes.

VGama

• Sidtippy2
    Continued decline

Good evening all.  Joe's decline continues at what feels like a rapid pace.  CBC results this week showed a decrease in hgb from 10-8, first time it has dropped, has always been 10-11, platelets dropped by 100,000.  Dr very concerned, thinks Joe's cancer may now be in bone marrow.  Waiting a week to repeat CBC and then will do PET scan for additional details.  Pain continues to increase, esp in spine, going to start radiation treatments to spine.  Joe is uncomfortable most of time, sleeping a lot, very weak and just seems so much sicker.  PSA was 8500.  Very discouraging week.

• VascodaGama
    Discouraging indeed

Sid,

I am sorry to know about the present condition of Joe. Let's hope that the radiation provides some pain relief.

My thoughts are with you.

VG

• Frank-1964
    Frank-1964 Member Posts: 18 Member
    Sidtippy2 said:

Continued decline

Good evening all.  Joe's decline continues at what feels like a rapid pace.  CBC results this week showed a decrease in hgb from 10-8, first time it has dropped, has always been 10-11, platelets dropped by 100,000.  Dr very concerned, thinks Joe's cancer may now be in bone marrow.  Waiting a week to repeat CBC and then will do PET scan for additional details.  Pain continues to increase, esp in spine, going to start radiation treatments to spine.  Joe is uncomfortable most of time, sleeping a lot, very weak and just seems so much sicker.  PSA was 8500.  Very discouraging week.

I am so sorry and praying for

I am so sorry and praying for him. It is heartbreaking. as VG is telling the radiation hopefully helps

• Sidtippy2
    Thank you

We appreciate the support and kind words.  Should have shared that today is our 38th anniversary and last week brought the birth of our 4th grandchild, mama and baby are both healthy and wonderful.  We have had many blessings in our life together and we try to remember that every day.  

• Sidtippy2
    edited September 2020 #68
    Sad news

Wanted to share that Joe died this past Monday.  His decline was really rapid.  His hgb and platelets dropped dramatically and his PSA was at 8797, had a PET scan and it showed incredible growth of cancer just since CT scan a month earlier.  Oncologist strongly recommended Hospice and Joe agreed after very little discussion.  Dr thought it would be 1-2 months.  He entired Hospice on Sept 4th and died on Sept 14.  He was in a lot of pain the last couple of days but we kept him well medicated and comfortable.  Hospice was amazing.   Our kids and grandkids were here as well as several other family members.  His last day was a bit labored but his death was swift and peaceful.   I'm glad his suffering is over but I'm so so sad, I just wasn't quite ready.  Maybe I never would have been ready.  Joe was 60 and almost 3 years from his diagnosis.  

I cannot thank you all enough for your support during Joe's illness, I learned so much from this group and will be eternally grateful.  Best of luck to each of you as you fight "the bandit".   I sure do hate cancer.  

• VascodaGama
    edited September 2020 #69
    Sad News

Sid,

I am in tears for the sad news of Joe’s departure. I applaud you for the courage you have shown along this ordeal and now for coming forward to inform us on his collapse. Surely he will be missed by you. For us he is one more hero from this battle we fight together.

I want to express my sincerely condolences to you and family in this painful moment.

Sincerely,

VGama

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,812 Member
    Terrible...

Sid, I too lament Joe's passing.    He was a valiant fighter who inspired me, and undoubtedly every individual here.  His attitude was hopeful yet realistic at all times.  

Bless his memory, and bless you,

max

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 383 Member
    My Condolences

Sid,

I am very sad to read about Joe's passing.  He was one of our brothers in arms in the battle against PCa.  His fight will be long remembered by us here in this Forum, and his life will be long remembered by you and those who loved him.

I offer to you and your family some kind words that were given to my mother at the time of my father's passing, in the form of a plaque, which stands on her fireplace mantle below a picture of him:

"Dont cry because it is over, smile because it happened."

• hewhositsoncushions
    hewhositsoncushions Member Posts: 411 Member
    I am so sorry to hear this.

I am so sorry to hear this.

A brave man with a brave partner.

If you have not done so already, may I suggest seeking some grief counselling to help you come to terms with this.

H

• Sidtippy2
    edited October 2020 #73
    Thank you

I appreciate your kind words and support, as I have the last almost 3 years.  I am already enrolled in grief counseling (virtual of course due to COVID) as are my children.  

I will be signing off this site, but wanted to wish you all the best of luck and know that I am keeping you in my prayers.  Hopefully we all live long enough to see a cure of this terrible disease.