Cancer Markers

Hi! 

I was at my naturopath the other day... and he said the oncologist should be tracking cancer markers.  This is the first time, I had heard this.  My oncologist draws blood before my biweekly FOLFOX treatment... and not once told me about these markers.

I plan to ask the oncologist at my next treatment... but could anyone tell me what type of markers are standard to look at? 

Thank you so much for your support and for listening.  

Comments

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited August 2020 #2
    He should be if its a good

He should be checking CEA (but some don't while patient is on chemo, not sure why) if its a good marker for you.  If it isn't I would suggest CA19-9 and maybe LDH 1-5 also.  Do you know what you MCV is?  It is a marker related to chemo activity.

I would lbe good to know presurgery level, post surgery level and pre-chemo level if they were taken.

Let us know!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Tumor markers

I remember a PA saying, sometime in the course of my treatment, "let me check your tumor markers."  I was like, "tumor markers, what the heck is that?"  It turns out he was merely refering to the CEA, which most oncologists seem to check on a regular basis with the other blood tests.  I used to review my blood tests carefully, but things that seemed to concern me did not concern the oncologist, so I stopped looking at them in advance of the appointments.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited September 2020 #4
    Different

Oncologist do not all follow the same protocol.  My Oncologist never check my CEA during treatment, becasue he said that chemo can skew the results.  Other Oncologist will do it regularly.  

It is something you can talk to your Oncologist about, and I am sure, even if he is against it, he would order it if you wanted. It's your money paying for it, after all. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2020 #5
    CEA

CEA is the normal marker that they check.  Usually that is one of the first markers they get and that is a good starting point since you have active cancer they can monitor your count whether it goes up or down.  Mine never changed and was always normal, so having this CEA checked can help in some patients, but not effective in others.  If it is a good marker for you, then it would be a good reason to keep checking this.  Hope this answers your question.

Kim

• SnapDragon2
    Very good move having a

Very good move having a naturopath involved!

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited September 2020 #7
    Markers

My dad got at the beginning CEA, Ca 19-9 and PSA (for prostate cancer, probably routine). The CEA got checked regularly. Once at the time of duagnosis, pre chemo, pre and post surgery. After the colon surgery the CEA and also the CEA were normal again. You could say they measure it after big treatment steps. 

This weekly blood drawings are to check how the body responds to the chemo. Chemotherapy is a drug and drugs are metabolized by the liver and cleared by the kidney. So they need to check if these organs are not too overwhelmed. Then they check platelets, wbc and rbc to see if everything is still good to continue. 

• Allidoisyoga
    Allidoisyoga Member Posts: 37
    Thank you

Thank you friends for helping me understand this.  I don't remember ever having my CEA levels told to me.  I am not sure if this is a good marker for me or not.  But thank you so much for your knowledge and information.  

I will be following up with my oncologist on Tuesday, my next infusion, to see what he says.  Thank you so much for listening and taking the time to respond.  Have a beautiful day friends. 

• Allidoisyoga

Very good move having a

Very good move having a naturopath involved!

Yes.. I need all the help I can get

Honestly the most helpful thing from my naturopath has been to keep myself as hyrdrated as possible.  I have added on IV fluids during my chemo weeks... and that has made things better.  

Have a beautiful day!!

• SnapDragon2

Yes.. I need all the help I can get

Honestly the most helpful thing from my naturopath has been to keep myself as hyrdrated as possible.  I have added on IV fluids during my chemo weeks... and that has made things better.  

Have a beautiful day!!

What IV fluids do you take? 

What IV fluids do you take?  I took IVC (75grams) before/after surgery and during chemo.

• Allidoisyoga
    edited September 2020 #11

What IV fluids do you take? 

What IV fluids do you take?  I took IVC (75grams) before/after surgery and during chemo.

Another big question mark!

I dont know which type of fluids are being given to me.  On my first day of infusion, they have to give me a different type because the "normal fluid" interacts with one of the chemo infusions.  And then on the next 2 days I get a liter of, i think, basic saline solution.  

I will ask, but the extra fluids really help with the multiple tummy problems I had... and just overall keep me from feeling like a train wreck.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member

Another big question mark!

I dont know which type of fluids are being given to me.  On my first day of infusion, they have to give me a different type because the "normal fluid" interacts with one of the chemo infusions.  And then on the next 2 days I get a liter of, i think, basic saline solution.  

I will ask, but the extra fluids really help with the multiple tummy problems I had... and just overall keep me from feeling like a train wreck.

Definitely ask

Knowing what they are giving you is important.

My guess, from what you are saying, is that the 48 infusion, via pump I presume, is 5FU, which is another chemo mix.  I could be wrong, or you could be wrong. Thus, it is important for you to find out. 

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    Did you get the answers you

Did you get the answers you need?

• Allidoisyoga
    edited September 2020 #14
    Thank you

Thank you for checking in.  I had an ER visit before my last round... and my whole oncologist appointment was spent discussing this.  

I have it on my checklist for Monday.... my next chemo round.  Ugh this treatment is grueling.