ABVD treatment and continued hair loss

tm112
tm112 Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello,I was treated with the ABVD treatments for Hodgkins lymphoma for 6 months.I never lost any hair until almost the last treatment.Its now been over a year since my last treatment and my hair has not grown back at all.I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen,and what if anything you may have been told you can do about it.I mean I am eternally gratefull that i'm cancer free now,but I really want my hair back.Is there anything I can do?Thank You.

Comments

• Bill_NC
    Bill_NC Member Posts: 133 Member
    edited August 2020 #2
    Same Here

it's been 6 years for me and my hair never got back in full, very thin on the top and is getting worse every day. 

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited August 2020 #3
    Baldness

Tracy, 

Hair regrowth after chemo ends is mostly random and slow.  No two people are the same, but for most people, most of the hair they had before they regain at some point afterward.   I had an odd occurance with my beard returning  (I had no beard, eyelashes, or eyebrows during chemo).   About a month after treatment ended, one side of my face would grow beard, but not the other.  Then, the side that had begun growing CEASED to grow, and for about a month, only the OTHER side would grow facial hair.  The month after that, both sides returned normally.  Get wierder than that !   I asked my family doc about it and if I should call my oncologist, and he replied that the call would be a waste of time, since the oncologist would not have the slightest idea as to what occured.

My own hair retured thin, but it was thin before.  But the texture came back fine, whereas it had been very coarse before.   It seems returning finer is pretty common, but even that is not universal.   The takeaway:   you are dealing with the luck of the draw.  Good luck

Bill_NC said:

Same Here

it's been 6 years for me and my hair never got back in full, very thin on the top and is getting worse every day. 

Bill

Lose the stocking cap, and some more hair might come back !

• Bill_NC
    Bill_NC Member Posts: 133 Member

Bill

Lose the stocking cap, and some more hair might come back !

Oh, then that what it was.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    Bill_NC said:

Instead of a stocking cap,

Instead of a stocking cap, wear a mini greenhouse and see what sprouts...

edited August 2020 #7
    po18guy said:

Instead of a stocking cap,

Instead of a stocking cap, wear a mini greenhouse and see what sprouts...

Wisdom of an elder

An uncle used to recommend growing a full beard and then having a radical facelift.....

• Nonnib24
    Nonnib24 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2020 #8
    Face fuzz

i am a 72 yr old female who underwent RCHOP chemo this year for nonhodgskin's lymphoma, resulting in complete hair loss. I never had an issue with facial hair but since my treatment ended (I am now in remission), I seem to have more hair on my jaw than my head!   I too am very happy to have a clear scan, but want  my hair to grow on my head not on my face! Any suggestions? Is this temporary? Any way to speed up the growth on the head?  

• Unbreakable1
    Unbreakable1 Member Posts: 14 Member

I had 6 treatments of R-EPOCH and my last treatment was first week of Aug. 2021. My hair started growing, but it is such a slow process and I have curly hair. Its going to take much longer. Any ideas on what might help speed up the process?