AUS800 Doctors in Phoenix Area

Trew
Trew Member Posts: 932 Member

I live in the Phoenix area.  

I am 71.  My AUS800 is getting close to replacement time.  The leaking is getting worse as the months go by.  

Just wondering if anyone has used a doctor in the Phoenix area who redid their AUS and they are very happy with the results.  I use an urology clinic and in the clinic there is Dr. Simoncini who does implants and AUS implants.  Does anyone have any experience with this doctor?  

And why does having my AUS redone make me as nervous as the orginal cancer treatment did?

I do not want to do this again, but I still have some backpacking to do before I am dead and gone.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    edited August 2020 #2

Trew,

I wonder if someone here can provide you a name  of a satisfying AUS practitioner. I hope someone posts on that, but  doing nothing would not improve the situation. Better to try replacing the device even if the physician doesn't give you that confidence.

Best wishes for more good rides.

VG

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 372 Member
    edited August 2020 #3
    AUS 800 Replacement

Hi Trew,

I'm sorry to read that your AUS 800 needs replacement, but it is clear that these devices eventually wear out, just like every other device, human or artificial.  You were instrumental, as well as my mentor, when I was considering an AUS 800 implant option, as I was 100% vertically incontinent, after robotic radical prostatectomy surgery.  My first AUS 800 implant was an absolute quality of life gamechanger for me, and it lasted for 6 years.  I owe that to you!  When it failed, I had a replacement AUS 800 implant surgery, and it fully restored my quality of life.

It is completely normal to have concerns about the AUS 800 replacement surgery, as IMO, the AUS 800 surgery was more invasive, and took much longer to fully recuperate from, versus a robotic radical prostatectomy (except for the Foley catheter, of course) surgery.  I developed inverse psoriasis (I had never even heard of this affliction) in the groin area, after the second AUS 800 implant surgery, and it took months to get rid of that nasty affliction.

But.....  The quality of life restoration, after the second AUS 800 implant surgery, reminded me that it was well worth it in the end.  If PCa does not get me first, and if I am still alive when this second AUS 800 implant wears out, I would not hesitate to go for a third AUS 800 implant surgery.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you a referral for a surgeon in the Phoenix area.

I wish you the best of outcomes on your AUS 800 implant replacement surgery.

• Trew
    edited August 2020 #4
    Josephg said:

AUS 800 Replacement

Hi Trew,

I'm sorry to read that your AUS 800 needs replacement, but it is clear that these devices eventually wear out, just like every other device, human or artificial.  You were instrumental, as well as my mentor, when I was considering an AUS 800 implant option, as I was 100% vertically incontinent, after robotic radical prostatectomy surgery.  My first AUS 800 implant was an absolute quality of life gamechanger for me, and it lasted for 6 years.  I owe that to you!  When it failed, I had a replacement AUS 800 implant surgery, and it fully restored my quality of life.

It is completely normal to have concerns about the AUS 800 replacement surgery, as IMO, the AUS 800 surgery was more invasive, and took much longer to fully recuperate from, versus a robotic radical prostatectomy (except for the Foley catheter, of course) surgery.  I developed inverse psoriasis (I had never even heard of this affliction) in the groin area, after the second AUS 800 implant surgery, and it took months to get rid of that nasty affliction.

But.....  The quality of life restoration, after the second AUS 800 implant surgery, reminded me that it was well worth it in the end.  If PCa does not get me first, and if I am still alive when this second AUS 800 implant wears out, I would not hesitate to go for a third AUS 800 implant surgery.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you a referral for a surgeon in the Phoenix area.

I wish you the best of outcomes on your AUS 800 implant replacement surgery.

Josephg, I appreicate your

Josephg, I appreicate your response.  I guess what goes around, comes around.  I need to call and make an appointment for a consult on the AUS replacement.  Probably do that today.  Or tomorrow.  I want to plan a backpack trip to Isle Royale NP for September.  Then two backpack trips in the Superstition Mtns near Phoenx in Dec and Februray- water permitting.  So dry out here this summer.

Question about your AUS replacement- did the same doctor who did the first AUS for you also do the replacement?  And I wonder if it makes a difference.  My AUS doctor was at the U of Michigan in Ann Arbor, but she left Michigan and moved to Alaska right after she did my AUS.  

Medical stuff makes me nervous.  But PC leaves us with few viable choices at times.  New life, new reality.  

I hope all continues to go well with you.

I need to make a phone call.

• Josephg
    edited August 2020 #5
    Same Surgeon the Second Time

Hi Trew,

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have the same surgeon for my second AUS 800 implant.  I was very happy with the first surgery that he performed, and he is incredibly responsive to my inquiries, typically responding within 1/2 hour of my direct emails to him (unless he was in surgery).  You just don't get the benefit of that one-on-one direct contact efficiency with surgeons these days.

Between the date that my first AUS 800 implant failed and my second AUS 800 implant surgery date, I went on a wilderness camping trip, and without the benefit of a working AUS 800 implant, the incontinence portion of the camping experience was absolutely miserable - lots of pads, Depends underwear, and still wetting through my jeans, etc.  So, I can certainly understand and agree with your desire to have your AUS 800 implant replacement surgery, before you do any camping or hiking activities, if possible.

The only advice that I can give you regarding the search for a new surgeon is the same advice that we give for all surgeries, like prostatectomies.  Get a surgeon with lots of AUS 800 surgeries, particularly lots of surgeries over the past few years.

Please keep us updated.

• Trew
    edited August 2020 #6
    Josephg said:

Same Surgeon the Second Time

Hi Trew,

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have the same surgeon for my second AUS 800 implant.  I was very happy with the first surgery that he performed, and he is incredibly responsive to my inquiries, typically responding within 1/2 hour of my direct emails to him (unless he was in surgery).  You just don't get the benefit of that one-on-one direct contact efficiency with surgeons these days.

Between the date that my first AUS 800 implant failed and my second AUS 800 implant surgery date, I went on a wilderness camping trip, and without the benefit of a working AUS 800 implant, the incontinence portion of the camping experience was absolutely miserable - lots of pads, Depends underwear, and still wetting through my jeans, etc.  So, I can certainly understand and agree with your desire to have your AUS 800 implant replacement surgery, before you do any camping or hiking activities, if possible.

The only advice that I can give you regarding the search for a new surgeon is the same advice that we give for all surgeries, like prostatectomies.  Get a surgeon with lots of AUS 800 surgeries, particularly lots of surgeries over the past few years.

Please keep us updated.

Josephg, 

Josephg, 

I have a consult on Thursday, Aug. 13- next week.  I read your post and just made the appointment.

Right now I am only using 2 pads a day, but I should be using 3.  And sometimes accidents do happen around the edges of the pad.  

A consult should be safe.

Thanks for the encouragement.

-Trew

• Trew
    edited August 2020 #7
    I'm looking at First Monday in November

I talked to the doctor today.  I think I am going to have this done the first Monday in November.  

I committed myself mentally to get this done.  The urologist held a container under my penis and had me cough which released urine into the cup.  He was satisfyied that the cuff needed to be replaced.  

He thinks the rest of the AUS parts are just fine.  

So, I am now heading towards surgery again.

• Josephg
    edited August 2020 #8
    Trew said:

I'm looking at First Monday in November

I talked to the doctor today.  I think I am going to have this done the first Monday in November.  

I committed myself mentally to get this done.  The urologist held a container under my penis and had me cough which released urine into the cup.  He was satisfyied that the cuff needed to be replaced.  

He thinks the rest of the AUS parts are just fine.  

So, I am now heading towards surgery again.

Cuff Replacement

That's great news, Trew, if you do not need a complete replacement of the entire implant.  I'm not sure how they would do that from a hydrodynamics perspective, but they are the experts, and know what they are doing.

I had a CT scan to confirm the cause of my issue with my first implant's failure.

I wish you the best of outcomes in November.

• Trew
    Josephg said:

Cuff Replacement

That's great news, Trew, if you do not need a complete replacement of the entire implant.  I'm not sure how they would do that from a hydrodynamics perspective, but they are the experts, and know what they are doing.

I had a CT scan to confirm the cause of my issue with my first implant's failure.

I wish you the best of outcomes in November.

I do have to be scoped before

I do have to be scoped before the urologist will do the replacement.  He wants to see what scar tissue he has to deal with first.  Scar tissue was a big problem before I got my first AUS.   Effects of radiation.  So I have that to look forward to- scheduled for mid-October.  And there is a pre-surgery exam in September.  

thank-you for the encouragement.  

• Trew
    November 2 Surgery Date

I have a Nov. 2 surgery date.  

I am moving forward.  Very nervous about this.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    A new gear

I agree with you. The scar tissue due to RT could impede your surgery plan. But one must consider that tissues renovate along the years, which in your case it makes already ten years.

Let's hope that everything goes smoothly and you get a newer gear for your backpacking.

Best

VG

• Josephg
    Surgery Date

I'm glad that you are moving forward, Trew.  You won't regret it.  As you know, continence is a quality of life game changer.

I wish you the absolute best of outcomes.