Am I overthinking this ?

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited July 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

So my dad is going for a 3rd opinion to a urologist because his rectal cancer is on his prostate . But this office isn't in the spectrum cancer center.  Am I overthinking this or is that kind weird ? 

Comments

• cinda
    cinda Member Posts: 65
    maybe good

To get a honest opinion maybe it best to get out of the same curcle of people. I find if they send you to their friend they stick together on what the other guy said, or even call and tell them what you said about them. I,m trying for anther opinon . I was in pain after colostomy surgery. My surgeon said take pain medicine (over the counter) 5 times a day. go back to the oncologist and take radition to make bleeding stop. I went to my regular doctor and had a bad bladder infection with blood in urine. I,ve been on anabotics and feel so much better. glad I didn't listien, though I did let things go for 6 weeks. If its not hard on your budget and not a lot of test involed ,It won't hurt to hear what they have to say. wishing all goes well. prayers for what your going through.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited July 2020 #3
    Out of Network

This can be a good thing if it is out of his Network because they have access to all of their records.  No reason not to get another opinion so maybe this just might reassure you and him what is the best approach.  Where is he going?

Kim

• worriedson714

Out of Network

This can be a good thing if it is out of his Network because they have access to all of their records.  No reason not to get another opinion so maybe this just might reassure you and him what is the best approach.  Where is he going?

Kim

Spectrum

He's going to spectrum health but wouldn't a doc in the cancer center know more about cancer ? 

• Annabelle41415

Spectrum

He's going to spectrum health but wouldn't a doc in the cancer center know more about cancer ? 

Spectrum

Do they have a cancer center there?  Most larger hospitals have their own cancer center.  Are you sure that your dad isn't being seen by someone in that department at Spectrum? 

Kim

• worriedson714
    edited July 2020 #6

Spectrum

Do they have a cancer center there?  Most larger hospitals have their own cancer center.  Are you sure that your dad isn't being seen by someone in that department at Spectrum? 

Kim

well

Yes they have a cancer center and idk really if he works with the cancer center or not just that his office isn't in the cancer center . But I did look up the doc online and it says he is a urilogist who deals with alot of things but prostate and bladder cancer are two of them . 

• Annabelle41415
    edited July 2020 #7

well

Yes they have a cancer center and idk really if he works with the cancer center or not just that his office isn't in the cancer center . But I did look up the doc online and it says he is a urilogist who deals with alot of things but prostate and bladder cancer are two of them . 

Location really has nothing to do with their qualifications as my one cancer surgeon was out of a completely different office.  His surgeries were performed in the hospital, but location was different. 

Kim

• worriedson714

Location really has nothing to do with their qualifications as my one cancer surgeon was out of a completely different office.  His surgeries were performed in the hospital, but location was different. 

Kim

Thanks

Okay good now I am just hoping they don't do like st mary's and tell us there is nothing they can do and want us to go to u of m cause money and travel would be hard.

• Annabelle41415
    edited July 2020 #9

Thanks

Okay good now I am just hoping they don't do like st mary's and tell us there is nothing they can do and want us to go to u of m cause money and travel would be hard.

Qualifications

You should make sure of the qualifications of the doctor he is seeing just to put your mind at ease.  Make sure they are an oncologist, a surgeon that specializes in cancer patients and not a regular surgeon, etc.  You and your father have to be secure in the doctors that he chooses and where he goes. 

Kim

• worriedson714

Qualifications

You should make sure of the qualifications of the doctor he is seeing just to put your mind at ease.  Make sure they are an oncologist, a surgeon that specializes in cancer patients and not a regular surgeon, etc.  You and your father have to be secure in the doctors that he chooses and where he goes. 

Kim

Well

I checked out the doc online and he is a part of spectum health's medical group Urologic Oncology so I think that means he is qualified to do it . But u of m had like the best urilogist in the state working on it so I wish my dad would have stayed there . But we also go to see a colorectal doctor at spectrum to I guess there going to work together . But thank you cause your right we need to be sure these are the right doctors after st mary's gave up on us . 

• Annabelle41415

Well

I checked out the doc online and he is a part of spectum health's medical group Urologic Oncology so I think that means he is qualified to do it . But u of m had like the best urilogist in the state working on it so I wish my dad would have stayed there . But we also go to see a colorectal doctor at spectrum to I guess there going to work together . But thank you cause your right we need to be sure these are the right doctors after st mary's gave up on us . 

Spectrum

I'm sure your dad will get great care there.  I've not been to either Spectrum or U of M because all my treatment was at Henry Ford Hospital (which has been in the news lately for their studies on Covid), but I've heard they are all good hospitals.  Try to get one hospital to handle all of the care, instead of independent networks because then they can work with each other.  Wishing you father the best and keep us informed.

Kim