pain at surgical site

belsam
belsam Member Posts: 23

l had my ascending colon removed because of Stage 1 tumor one year ago.  Since my surgery, l have a nagging pain at the surgical area.  Some days no pain......some days pain.  l notice if l squat down to do yard work or wash my car the pain will start.........usually.  The pain doesn't incapacitate me.......it's just annoying.  Great site..........give me your thoughts

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Hello Belsam

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing residual pain from your surgery.   

I remember having allot of odd sensations following colon surgery, each one made me fear recurrence.  The worst for me, and continues to be, six years on, is discomfort in my liver, after my ablation.  When I first started feeling it, I was sure the cancer was back and growing, so I understand your concern. 

My friend, a nurse, told me that the discomfort I was feeling was probably scar tissue, and considering that all of my scans have been clear of Cancer, I do believe that she is right.   My discomfort, which I call a niggle, happens after certain movements, or if I have gas, or eat too much. 

Of course, I cannot say that this is what you are experiencing, but it is a possibility.  

So, scar tissue, maybe. 

Be sure and mention it to your Oncologist - thought I confess, I never have told mine - or if you have a regular Doctor's appointment, tell them.

It frustrates me that we are not told about post surgical, or post treatment side effects. Being forewarned really does alleviate allot of worry. 

It will be interesting to hear what others have to say. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited July 2020 #3
    Common

It's very common to have that pain, especially if you are stretching in a manner you usually don't.  Even when you do daily activities it can be bothersome.  A lot of it is caused by scar tissue and sometimes if it gets too bad they need to remove it but more surgery causes more scar tissue.  Make sure you let your doctor know your concerns.  Usually after years, it does get better.  Keep washing that car, it looks pretty :)

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Pain

You have been cut up and stitched back together again.  Your colon is likely held together with titanium staples.  There is actual pain and there is psychological pain. There is metaphysical pain in realizing that you are mortal.  Sure, ask you doctor about it, but beyond that, live every day.

• belsam

Pain

You have been cut up and stitched back together again.  Your colon is likely held together with titanium staples.  There is actual pain and there is psychological pain. There is metaphysical pain in realizing that you are mortal.  Sure, ask you doctor about it, but beyond that, live every day.

thxs !

thxs !

• MGB2
    MGB2 Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited July 2020 #6
    talk about paranoid

I'm 2 years out from surgery, accending colon resection, and just the other day seemed like my incesion started to get inflamed and then notice my belly button was swollen so I started googling and sure enough there is some rare mestastis called St. Jospeh Nodule and I was certain that must be what is happening.   I was going to call Docter in the morning first thing to let him know.   When I woke up I realized there was an in grown hair iinside belly button and it had drained overnight.  I do still feel a tingling and light pain from time to time around the incesion site too.   Lesson learned. 

• fearlessinsd
    fearlessinsd Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020 #7
    Time for a follow up colonoscopy?

Hi, sorry about your discomfort.  Was there a follow up colonoscopy scheduled?  If not maybe there should be.  Just my two cents. 

• belsam

Time for a follow up colonoscopy?

Hi, sorry about your discomfort.  Was there a follow up colonoscopy scheduled?  If not maybe there should be.  Just my two cents. 

colonoscopy was clear........

colonoscopy was clear.........CT was clear too..........CEA 1.4

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    belsam said:

Great news

Great news, congratulations.

• belsam
    edited July 2020 #10
    ......l still deal with

......l still deal with fatique.........can't figure out why ?

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    belsam said:

Wonderful

Great news, and time to take a deep breath. 

Kim

• JmcDmc
    JmcDmc Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2020 #12
    Scarring

I would echo Tru’s thought on scarring.

Depending on the type and source of the pain it might be treatable.

My wife’s midline incision was about a foot long and had been left open following surgery. The scar left once it closed up was wide, deep, and course.

One of her GPs, some years after surgery, referred her to a plastic surgeon. The scar revision surgery relieved much of her pains. Bonuses – He kinda rebuilt a bellybutton and I think that ended her Darvocet days.

Unfortunately, later surgery would wreck all the pretty work, but that pain wouldn’t return.  

Jim