Stats

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member

Does anyone know if there are stats for how successful surgery is at local cancer center's compared to places like U of M ?

Reason I am asking my dad just got a clear scan no spread so there ready to do surgery to remove the rest . U of M wants to do it our local cancer center says its better if U of m does it . But my dad is determined to get it done local so now the local cancer center's tumor board is going over everything again . To try and find a way to give my dad surgery here local . 

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited July 2020 #2
    Local

First, please remember, your Dad is the decisonmaker here.  You are the support team.  With that said, I was initially referred to a local provider but switched instead to a University-based surgeon.  I was much more pleased with her apparent knowledge of the procedure--although in the end the surgery was performed by a student under her supervision (something I was unaware of until I read the surgery report). Sometimes it is best to go with your intuition.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited July 2020 #3
    IMO, go to a major accredited

IMO, go to a major accredited cancer hosp and have a board certified colorectal surgeon (if travel isn't a problem).  

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited July 2020 #4

Local

First, please remember, your Dad is the decisonmaker here.  You are the support team.  With that said, I was initially referred to a local provider but switched instead to a University-based surgeon.  I was much more pleased with her apparent knowledge of the procedure--although in the end the surgery was performed by a student under her supervision (something I was unaware of until I read the surgery report). Sometimes it is best to go with your intuition.

I asked at the presurgery

I asked at the presurgery appt. He clearly had no intention of letting anyone perform my highly difficult surgery.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    U of M

I'm from this area and although I've had all my done at Henry Ford Hospital, UofM is an excellent hospital.  You don't say where they want to do it at.  Can you please be more specific?

Kim

• worriedson714
    edited July 2020 #7
    grand rapids

My dad wants it at our local cancer center lacks in grand rapids cause he is worried about the ride home about 2 hours whne he gets out of u of m and he says he doesn't feel good about doing it there 

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    Who is U of M?

Who is U of M?

• Annabelle41415
    zx10guy said:

Who is U of M?

Who is U of M?

UofM

University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.  Very good hospital and known for many breakthroughs. 

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    edited July 2020 #10

grand rapids

My dad wants it at our local cancer center lacks in grand rapids cause he is worried about the ride home about 2 hours whne he gets out of u of m and he says he doesn't feel good about doing it there 

Spectrum

My nephew just got out of Spectrum hospital in Grand Rapids, which saved his life from a widow maker's heart attack.  Which hospital are you talking about?  There are many good hospitals in GR as well.

Kim

• worriedson714
    edited July 2020 #11

Spectrum

My nephew just got out of Spectrum hospital in Grand Rapids, which saved his life from a widow maker's heart attack.  Which hospital are you talking about?  There are many good hospitals in GR as well.

Kim

st mary's

st mary's is the hospital that lacks is part of 

• Annabelle41415

st mary's

st mary's is the hospital that lacks is part of 

St. Mary's Hospital

That is a great hospital and I've been there, but not my primary as Henry Ford is.  I've never know St. Mary's to be leading in the cancer treatment department, but then I've never been treated there for my cancer.  Maybe it would be a good thing to get a second opinion at a different hospital. 

Kim