Blood and scan results in patient portal?

Do you have this option? In Denmark we do. And it’s up to you if you want to read it. It could be good news but it could also be bad news. Or news you don’t understand. 

I just had both blood work done and a CT scan. I know that the result will be in there within a few days. Just the thought makes me want to puke. A recurrence is just another thing, isn’t it? This time it’s abs horrible. :(

If you have a portal as well, do you check before doc appt?

Comments

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member
    Yep

I always appreciated knowing test results ahead of time, good or bad, so that if I had questions, I'd be prepared with them when I went in for my follow-up appointment. I hated having to call into the office after an appointment with questions I thought of afterward.

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Look at the glass half full

Fluff, try looking at all the technology as the blessing it is. Yes, I can get my results immediately and my doc always has a note attached that tells me the good or the bad and we go from there. 25 years ago at 55, I had stage 3 cancer and the outlook was grim. I decided to fight with all I could but also prepare to go! I shocked my docs by hanging around 25 years and they have been great years. I have always been an optimist and see the glass half full. I think it makes you healthier to be positive.  The strides in cancer treatment in 25 years have been unbelievable! We are lucky to have all this available to us. 

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    MAbound said:

Yep

I always appreciated knowing test results ahead of time, good or bad, so that if I had questions, I'd be prepared with them when I went in for my follow-up appointment. I hated having to call into the office after an appointment with questions I thought of afterward.

Exactly what you said. And

Exactly what you said. And yes Fluff, I do get tied up in knots while waiting.

• Flufff
    Flufff Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2020 #5

Look at the glass half full

Fluff, try looking at all the technology as the blessing it is. Yes, I can get my results immediately and my doc always has a note attached that tells me the good or the bad and we go from there. 25 years ago at 55, I had stage 3 cancer and the outlook was grim. I decided to fight with all I could but also prepare to go! I shocked my docs by hanging around 25 years and they have been great years. I have always been an optimist and see the glass half full. I think it makes you healthier to be positive.  The strides in cancer treatment in 25 years have been unbelievable! We are lucky to have all this available to us. 

Donna Faye

You are 100% right. It's just so difficult to live by. 

Normally I'm super positive and optimistic. Before and after cancer. But when scan time arrive, I'm a mess.

The hardest part is my children. I still have all 3 living at home. 16, 18 and 23. The thought of them loosing me already, is unbearable. :(:(  I lost my dad very suddenly when I was 26 and he was just 53. And I'm thinking. I just hope that I get to live till 53. I was 47 when dx stage 4B and of course. USPC. So I'm not kidding myself. This is serious. 

I do love your way of thinking. I will try and incorporate it in my own mindset. Thanks a lot :)

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    I understand

When I had BC, I still had 2 in college so I know that longing to be well for them. You will be! Just be alert to changes and let your doc know asap! I'm pulling you will make it to 80 too Smile

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    Patient portals are the best

Even today I go back and reread all of my test results, labs, CT scans, doctor's notes, etc. As my knowledge base has grown so has my understanding of my results. I also like it that the doctors can now access all of my records no matter where I am being seen, either at my oncologists or PCP. No more having to carry around folders of test results, etc. 

Denise 

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2020 #8

Patient portals are the best

Even today I go back and reread all of my test results, labs, CT scans, doctor's notes, etc. As my knowledge base has grown so has my understanding of my results. I also like it that the doctors can now access all of my records no matter where I am being seen, either at my oncologists or PCP. No more having to carry around folders of test results, etc. 

Denise 

Still Keeping Copies

I do look at my tests online as soon as they're posted. However, I also download copies of these results as well.

I was glad that I had my own copies since my health system changed software providers in the past couple of years and test results from CT-scans, ultrasounds, etc. were not carried over to the new computer system. They did migrate the history of blood work, but that's about it. 

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    cmb said:

Still Keeping Copies

I do look at my tests online as soon as they're posted. However, I also download copies of these results as well.

I was glad that I had my own copies since my health system changed software providers in the past couple of years and test results from CT-scans, ultrasounds, etc. were not carried over to the new computer system. They did migrate the history of blood work, but that's about it. 

Great points, cmb

I receive paper copies of my visit summaries that I also keep, but I should download my CT scan reports. 

Denise

• Flufff
    Flufff Member Posts: 67
    I checked....

And I’m no doctor but I believe the results are positive. In 3 days, I will know. 

• oldbeauty
    oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member
    edited May 2020 #11
    Flufff said:

I checked....

And I’m no doctor but I believe the results are positive. In 3 days, I will know. 

Most hopeful for you, Fluff.

Keep to the positive thoughts.  Yes, you are not a doctor, so don't go looking for anything to change your impression that the results are good.  Enjoy the next few days.  Best wishes, Oldbeauty