Scary times

Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
edited March 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I just lost my little part-time job, and my husband's job is on the line.  EDIT: On re-reading my post, I worded that wrong. I didn't LOSE my job as much as it has been put on hold for 30 days - or more, if the powers that be, decide. 

Our state governor just announced that all non-essential businesses are to shut down for 30 days.  Hopefully things will start looking up again in the near future.

Hope everyone else is fairing well.  I am sure they cannot deny treatments, as they are essential, as are surgeries to remove Cacner.

And while here, I do so hope we see more of our members coming back. So many have not returned since the forum went down.

Wishing everyone well, as we all face thses uncertain times.

Tru 

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry

Sorry to hear that.  Yes, it's going to be hard for awhile.  I'm still not sure why with less than 100 deaths from 330 million people that there is such drastic measures.  The flu has killed more than that in a shorter amount of time.  Definitely can understand the elderly and people with underlying conditions, but not the whole country.  Wishing you, husband and everyone else patience and normalcy very soon.

Kim

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Sorry

Sorry to hear that.  Yes, it's going to be hard for awhile.  I'm still not sure why with less than 100 deaths from 330 million people that there is such drastic measures.  The flu has killed more than that in a shorter amount of time.  Definitely can understand the elderly and people with underlying conditions, but not the whole country.  Wishing you, husband and everyone else patience and normalcy very soon.

Kim

Please read the science

Please read the science behind flatten the curve. Covid-19 is much more contagious than the flu. And if we don't take measures, the healthcare system will be overwhelmed which is why Italy's death rate from this is currently at 10 percent. Google Italy and covid 19 to understand why the govt is implementing mandates to try to prevent us from ending up where they are now. If nothing is done, we end up like them. And when you see the numbers, remember, they are a smaller country than the USA. There are some poignant videos out there from Italians that have how they thought like you when it first happened, andnow it is too late.

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    edited March 2020 #4
    Afraid too

Yeah I am also afraid. I am not afraid for me. I am afraid for my dad and my grandparents. My grandparents are above 80 and my grandpa has kidney, heart and lung problems. He would have it difficult to survive if at all. My dad is atm at the hospital for his 2nd chemo. I know my mom is taking all precautions. But some people are just stupid and think they have holidays now.

Germanys numbers are steadily rising. Some hospital are at max capacity now. We have now 10000 cases and nearly 30 deaths. That is not a lot but we are not at the peak yet. The numbers will rise when doctors cant work anymore and when more and more people need to go to the hospital. I hope it wont be as bad as Italy. Doctors should not decide who gets ventilation and who not. I do have contacts to Italian people due to exchange students. They are afraid. 

I am in Poland, Poland said no to public life. I am just going out for necessary things. Otherwise I do self isolation to protect others. Even if my cold is corona they would not test me. They dont test symptoms, they test when you had contact with an infected person or when you were in a high risk area. The official numbers are much higher in every country...

I hope and pray everyday for doctors, nurses, that the curve flattens, that people stay safe, that my family does not get it... More I can not do for now

• abita
    edited March 2020 #5
    Tueffel said:

Afraid too

Yeah I am also afraid. I am not afraid for me. I am afraid for my dad and my grandparents. My grandparents are above 80 and my grandpa has kidney, heart and lung problems. He would have it difficult to survive if at all. My dad is atm at the hospital for his 2nd chemo. I know my mom is taking all precautions. But some people are just stupid and think they have holidays now.

Germanys numbers are steadily rising. Some hospital are at max capacity now. We have now 10000 cases and nearly 30 deaths. That is not a lot but we are not at the peak yet. The numbers will rise when doctors cant work anymore and when more and more people need to go to the hospital. I hope it wont be as bad as Italy. Doctors should not decide who gets ventilation and who not. I do have contacts to Italian people due to exchange students. They are afraid. 

I am in Poland, Poland said no to public life. I am just going out for necessary things. Otherwise I do self isolation to protect others. Even if my cold is corona they would not test me. They dont test symptoms, they test when you had contact with an infected person or when you were in a high risk area. The official numbers are much higher in every country...

I hope and pray everyday for doctors, nurses, that the curve flattens, that people stay safe, that my family does not get it... More I can not do for now

Exactly. Stay safe.

Exactly. Stay safe.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Strange days

Strange days indeed.  Hopefully, we can all pull together and get through this crisis.

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    abita said:

Exactly. Stay safe.

Exactly. Stay safe.

You too

I wish you the same! Stay safe!

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2020 #8
    Oh my!!!!  I am so sorry. 

Oh my!!!!  I am so sorry.  Yes I agree its a scary time.  Hopefully the 30 days will pass quickly without to much of an impact.  Stay safe!

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited March 2020 #9

Sorry

Kim

Not The Flu

When we first heard of it here in the U.S., before things escalated,  one could possibly think it was true - meaning a comparision between covid-19 and the flu.  Absolute mortality numbers in particular.  That narrative has been wrong for awhile.  Things that are posted comparing deaths of coronavirus, such as to people killed in car accidents every day, are not equivalents.  This is not to say that the other things going on in the world, such as traffic deaths or overdoses are something to ignore or dismss.  

A report just came out that up to 20% of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are young adults between ages 20 to 44.  Of the 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 36% were adults ages 45 to 64, while 12% were ages 20 to 44. There were no ICU admissions reported for those under age 19.

Keep in mind there are many questions still regarding covid-19.  The numbers can (will) change.  But, for instance, if the 20% number holds it is something that is concerning.  Numbers out of France are indicating something similar in terms of age of patients.  

People may point to China and how they reported no new cases for the first time since this all started.  That is a good thing of course.  But they took measures that we would never be able to put in place in terms of a total shutdown. You will also see reported cases surge in the United States.  That is to be expected as tests get out there.  The stat people may be able figure out the noise in those numbers to figure out rate of spread vs just more testing.  It is kind of late though to do that and it is probably of less value now.

I am hoping this resolves quickly.  In that case many people will say all these steps were not necessary.  But it is because of those steps we are shorterning the time this continues.  Right now it is going to how it has been predicted.  And when people refuse to behave responsibly, or spread misinformation,  they are putting other people at risk.  This includes putting me at a greater risk of dying, which is not in my immediate plans despite cancer continuing to try to knock me off Laughing  I do not think this is the zombie apocolypse, but when basic things which are easy to do - social distancing for instance - it is upsetting.  

Anyway, be safe...

• abita
    edited March 2020 #10
    NewHere said:

Not The Flu

When we first heard of it here in the U.S., before things escalated,  one could possibly think it was true - meaning a comparision between covid-19 and the flu.  Absolute mortality numbers in particular.  That narrative has been wrong for awhile.  Things that are posted comparing deaths of coronavirus, such as to people killed in car accidents every day, are not equivalents.  This is not to say that the other things going on in the world, such as traffic deaths or overdoses are something to ignore or dismss.  

A report just came out that up to 20% of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are young adults between ages 20 to 44.  Of the 121 patients known to have been admitted to an ICU, 36% were adults ages 45 to 64, while 12% were ages 20 to 44. There were no ICU admissions reported for those under age 19.

Keep in mind there are many questions still regarding covid-19.  The numbers can (will) change.  But, for instance, if the 20% number holds it is something that is concerning.  Numbers out of France are indicating something similar in terms of age of patients.  

People may point to China and how they reported no new cases for the first time since this all started.  That is a good thing of course.  But they took measures that we would never be able to put in place in terms of a total shutdown. You will also see reported cases surge in the United States.  That is to be expected as tests get out there.  The stat people may be able figure out the noise in those numbers to figure out rate of spread vs just more testing.  It is kind of late though to do that and it is probably of less value now.

I am hoping this resolves quickly.  In that case many people will say all these steps were not necessary.  But it is because of those steps we are shorterning the time this continues.  Right now it is going to how it has been predicted.  And when people refuse to behave responsibly, or spread misinformation,  they are putting other people at risk.  This includes putting me at a greater risk of dying, which is not in my immediate plans despite cancer continuing to try to knock me off Laughing  I do not think this is the zombie apocolypse, but when basic things which are easy to do - social distancing for instance - it is upsetting.  

Anyway, be safe...

Very well said! And I too

Very well said! And I too didn't do all this fighting to have this take me out! Or the two people who helped me so much whom I love with all my heart who are in the 80s.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm not optimistic about the

I'm not optimistic about the numbers. Everything I read, and knowing American behavior and notions of freedom/rights, this will be on the Italian side of the scale I'm afraid. I'm set with my son to ride it out. I've been a 'prepper' for quite a while, and this is feeling like an event to be ready for. My 86yo mom is my big worry, but she's sequestered in her home pretty well with only 6 of us tending to, or being with her. As a contractor, we're allowed to work, so we're in pretty good shape so far. I urge anyone I know to get what they need to be able to essentually sit it out for as much as 2 months. I wish the best outcomes of everyone here as well, better to be over-prepared than under, stay safe..............................Dave

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #12
    NewHere said:

Not The Flu

Anyway, be safe...

Yes and Yes...Very well said!

Yes and Yes...Very well said!!!  Stay safe

• SnapDragon2
    edited March 2020 #13

I'm not optimistic about the

I'm not optimistic about the numbers. Everything I read, and knowing American behavior and notions of freedom/rights, this will be on the Italian side of the scale I'm afraid. I'm set with my son to ride it out. I've been a 'prepper' for quite a while, and this is feeling like an event to be ready for. My 86yo mom is my big worry, but she's sequestered in her home pretty well with only 6 of us tending to, or being with her. As a contractor, we're allowed to work, so we're in pretty good shape so far. I urge anyone I know to get what they need to be able to essentually sit it out for as much as 2 months. I wish the best outcomes of everyone here as well, better to be over-prepared than under, stay safe..............................Dave

I agree to be prepared for at

I agree to be prepared for at least 2 months, more if you can.  Its strange where I live we have seen more chanuks in the air than we have seen in several years.