Postive Margin with no cancer maybe ?

worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member

So after my dad's surgery for stage 3 rectum cancer his pathlogy tests showed cancer in the margin of the tumor they took out . So doctor sent us to University of Michigan to get another surgery to get the cancer off my dad's prostate . But now the university is recommending we wait 3 months to do another MRI before they do surgery . The university doctor said my dad could have postive margin on pathlogy tests but still have no cancer . So my question is has anyone had a postive margin on the pathlogy tests and still ended up having no more cancer ? I am worried waiting 3 months is a mistake for my dad that it could spread so any help I would be grateful .

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited February 2020 #2
    UofM

I'm just not sure as every patient would want clear margins from the path report, and that is what the doctor is aiming for when they do the surgery initially.  U of M is a very good hospital, so I'm hesitant to ask you to go seek another opinion, but it is something that you might want to consider before they make him wait another 3 months.  Have you tried Henry Ford?  That is also an excellent hospital and where talented doctor's are as well.  Getting a second opinion, isn't always a negative on the hospital you are dealing with, but will make you and your dad feel better.

Kim

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    I had a positive margin and

I had a positive margin and almost four years later no evidence of cancer. It is possible. Prayers your way.....it is not easy to have this.

• zx10guy
    zx10guy Member Posts: 273 Member
    I'd see if the pathologist

I'd see if the pathologist who examined the tissue could be asked for more details as to what he/she saw.  It may already be in the report.  Do you have a copy of the report.  If the pathologist says only a few cancer cells found in the margins, then rolling the dice might be more appropriate.  If the pathologist said there was significant cancer spread into the margins, I wouldn't wait and would want to get back in there to scrape out more.