Xeloda questions

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

Because my scans were good (YAY!!) my chemo is being changed from Folfiri plus Avastin to Xeloda plus Avastin, with Xeloda one week on; one week off (as opposed to the traditional 2 weeks on, 1 week off) and Avastin every 3 weeks.

Any thoughts, anything I should know?  Xeloda scares me a bit, as I am terrified of nausea and vomiting, and I don't know if there is a greater likelihood on the pill form.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alice

Comments

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    Don’t sweat it

I've been on Xyloda and Avastin for 4 years.

No issues 

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Xeloda

I was on Xeloda for 25 days combined with radiation (5 days a week,weekends off). My hospital gave me pills to take if nausea strikes-it never happened,so,I was lucky. Not even one day vomiting or feeling nauseaus. BUT: I lost my appetite the first day I took Xeloda; suddenly every food-even my most favorite-stopped being appetizing;I just didn't feel like eating at all. I knew that nurishment is important before surgery, so I made myself to eat small portions of food that looked at least a bit acceptable.

There are some other side effects with Xeloda,but everybody is different,so it is hard to tell what to expect.

Hope you are not going to have it too difficult.

Suzy

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    I did 28 days of Xeloda and

I did 28 days of Xeloda and radiation, not a single bit of side effects. No vomiting, no sick tummy, and no diahhrea. Echoing what Suzy said, things tasted like cardboard, and I had to force myself to eat, but since I was a heffalump, I needed to lose a little weight.

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited February 2020 #5
    Xeloda

I did 18 weeks of Xeloda - twice (2 weeks on / 1 week off).  No nausea - GI tract felt a bit irritated from time to time, but again never any nausea.  Tired, but not so that I couldn't work.

Take care,

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited February 2020 #6
    Xeloda

That was my first round of treatment along with radiation and didn't have any problem with it at all.  They say use a lot of lotion for your hands and feet.  Hope you don't get sick and can tolerate it well.

Kim

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    I tolerated xeloda very well.

I tolerated xeloda very well. When diarhea started took Imodium and it went away. Was on it for 3 treatments.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Few

I seem to be one of he few that did not tolerate zeloda well.   
    i had really bad hand and foot.  Very red and peeling skin.  My feet were the worst, I curtailed my walking because of the problems. 
    I took it in ever decreasing doses but in the end I had to stop.  I started out with 2 wk on and 1 off, I transitioned to every other week. 
    no nausea, vomiting or diarhea though.  
    hope it works for you, it's easier than the IV form (5fu) which surprise ingly i tolerated well 

• kswatson
    kswatson Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2020 #9
    Xeloda

I currently take 4000 mg a day of Xeloda 14 days on 7 days off then an infusion with Oxplaytin. I am handling it well. The side effects for me have been minimal so far. It was very scarey at first but I am doing well. I hope this helps 

• abrub
    So far, so good

I'm on the 3rd day of 1500/am; 1000/pm with Avastin infusion on day 1.  So far, so good.  I'll be doing 7 days on; 7 off; with Avastin on Day 1 every other week.

I'm working on keeping hands and feet well moisturized, and doing frequent mouth rinses to avoid mouth sores.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Alice

• Annabelle41415
    edited February 2020 #11
    Good to Hear

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well so far with the Xeloda, especially since everyone reacts different.  It is very important to make sure that the lotion is applied often, even when you don't think you need it.  Hope you continmue to do well.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    kswatson said:

Xeloda

I currently take 4000 mg a day of Xeloda 14 days on 7 days off then an infusion with Oxplaytin. I am handling it well. The side effects for me have been minimal so far. It was very scarey at first but I am doing well. I hope this helps 

Great

It's great that you are doing well on the Xeloda as well.  That oxy is a nasty drug, so be careful if you find that your symptoms are not tolerable or lasting from one infusion to the next. 

Kim

• abrub

Great

It's great that you are doing well on the Xeloda as well.  That oxy is a nasty drug, so be careful if you find that your symptoms are not tolerable or lasting from one infusion to the next. 

Kim

I'm not on Oxy

I had that in 2008 - NASTY!  I'm only on the 5FU (xeloda) and Avastin.

Thanks for caring!

Alice