to late

cinda
cinda Member Posts: 65

I had wrote under the heading (to many test) after being sent to the surgeon in may,he has sent me for test after test. still needed to go to a urogist for his test and had at least 2 more test for gyncolist.  I have stage 4 colon cancer invading female parts with tumor there,plus tear between the two areas. I ask for a pet scan since it had been 10 months since my last one. well results came back 5 large masses on liver ( none on last scan) colon cancer bigger than before raditation and chemo. My offer now is putting the bag on because of the tear causing bactera problems. makeing me at risk for infection. their going to leave all the cancer in. I've tryed to get the colon surgery for 8 months now its to late and the doctor want to do the bag next week ( like now you want to do something REALLY! I feel overwhemed. I don't know if I should do the surgery because that has risk of infection. I feel ok just get wore down quickly. I don't know if I should set myself up for being in pain and trying to heal when I don't know how long I have. I've been on this site for awhile and cansider you guys as someone I can talk to . Thank you for being here. They said I can do chemo( don't know what kind) IF the liver  met get smaller maybe radition. my ongolgist says he's sorry but it is what it is!

Comments

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    I’m so sorry. How do you feel

I’m so sorry. How do you feel about a second opinion? I’m sure this is overwhelming. I wish there was something to say To make it better but I can’t.

why Are they offering surgery if there is nothing else to do? I would have to ask the surgeon.

again,I’m so sorry.

k

• cinda
    edited February 2020 #3

right now the stool comes out the wrong place and the surgery will direct though the stomach colostomy. supose to help prevent a infection. But my concern is all surgerys themself put you at a risk for infection. also He didn't want to do the other surgery because he says he doesn't know what going on above the tumor. They can't do a colon check because of a blockage 2 inch up my retum. They say it will help the quaity of my live because I have a elimination problem. but the cancer is so bad and so much he chooses to leave it alone. 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Ah Cinda, this is bad news indeed

And I am so sorry to hear it. 

You have been given the run-around and it will cost your dearly. No doubt, it will cost you your life. 

I doubt you have the energy to pursue any kind of action. It seems like someone dropped the ball, and should pay for it. 

Just my opinion here, but I would go ahead and get the surgery.  It may not help with the Cancer, but it has to be more comfortable than what you are experiencing now, or may experience if you get an infection - which you know is highly likely. 

I am sorry to be so blunt.  You are dealing with the worst of the worst.  You know our thoughts and prayers, good wishes, vibes, everything, are heading your way.  

Do whatever you can to extend your time here. It can be done, even with such a chronic prognosis. 

Cyber hugs. 

Tru

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    I am not sure I understand

I am not sure I understand why they took so long, and why they are afraid of infection if doing surgery. I can only say that my liver mets responded well to chemo. No one mentioned fear of infection to me with either of my resections, so I don't know much about that. Did you have any chemo already?

• cinda
    chemo

I had raditation plus chemo 5fu for colon. cut the cancer in half in one area from 14 to 7 but anther area went to 28. so didn't do much. finished this new years  13 months ago. kept telling they couldn't do surgery because of radition damage. but did send me to a surgeon 10 months ago. He kept sending for test after test and never got around to doing the surgery . still have 3 more test. I ask for the petscan , thats when they found the 5 masses in liver.The infection that could happen is from the tear in my colon and stool getting in vajina. They are offering chemo for liver , I don't know what kind. I go the 20th of this month. But I seen the scan ,there a lot. like I said 10 months ago on last scan there was none. Don't you think they should take a sample and check it. This has not been offered. Those of you that got second opinion ,How did you know who to go to.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited February 2020 #7
    cinda said:

chemo

I had raditation plus chemo 5fu for colon. cut the cancer in half in one area from 14 to 7 but anther area went to 28. so didn't do much. finished this new years  13 months ago. kept telling they couldn't do surgery because of radition damage. but did send me to a surgeon 10 months ago. He kept sending for test after test and never got around to doing the surgery . still have 3 more test. I ask for the petscan , thats when they found the 5 masses in liver.The infection that could happen is from the tear in my colon and stool getting in vajina. They are offering chemo for liver , I don't know what kind. I go the 20th of this month. But I seen the scan ,there a lot. like I said 10 months ago on last scan there was none. Don't you think they should take a sample and check it. This has not been offered. Those of you that got second opinion ,How did you know who to go to.

My surgeon did not want to do

My surgeon did not want to do a biopsy as they knew the masses in my liver were tumors. And there is always the possibility that a cell might be lost when retrieving the biopsy, and then you might get another spot of cancer. How do they know if you have a mutation or not if they don't have any of your tumor. I had colon and liver resection and had huge tumors, so that is how they tested for me

Now I get what you are saying about infection. Trust me, I really get it. I was one of those who powered through feeling unwell. Therefore, I ended up in the hospital near death from an infection caused by my tumor perferating my colon. For a week, they drained the infection,  then diagnosed the tumor, and here I am.

I also understand your fears because the tumors didn't all shrink on 5fu. I have never had radiation so don't know if that is why they only gave you 5fu. I would definitely get a second opinion. What I really want to make clear is that as hard as it might be, have hope. There are a few protocols for chemo for colon cancer, so if 5fu didn't work, they can put you on another one. 

• cinda
    surgery

Hi all . just a update. monday the 18th getting the colostomy bag. Got a second opinion, this new doctor agreed that getting the bag will make me feel better. he would leave the cancer in like the other doctor. He would try chemo though for liver mets. Hope I can get your prayers. surprise to say I'm at peace with this. doing nothing wasn't helping. i hope you all are enjoying the better weather and maybe getting out in your yard and some sun. I wish you all the best.  The doctors going to do exploratory surgery for more answers!

• Flufff
    Flufff Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2020 #9
    cinda said:

surgery

Hi all . just a update. monday the 18th getting the colostomy bag. Got a second opinion, this new doctor agreed that getting the bag will make me feel better. he would leave the cancer in like the other doctor. He would try chemo though for liver mets. Hope I can get your prayers. surprise to say I'm at peace with this. doing nothing wasn't helping. i hope you all are enjoying the better weather and maybe getting out in your yard and some sun. I wish you all the best.  The doctors going to do exploratory surgery for more answers!

Glad to hear,

that something is being done now. <Content removed by CSN moderator>

Sending prayers to to you and hoping that chemo will kick cancers butt. 

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited May 2020 #10
    Having a plan always helps

Having a plan always helps with the anxiety of it all, having been in the midst of my own fight, while also in the middle of my wife's battle with a brain tumor, I recall everything being measured in little victories, setbacks, and focusing hard on staying in the moment, and drinking in all the good things like a sunny day, my pretty front yard, just being with Cindy, my wife. A number of folks here live well with the bag, we humans are a pretty adaptable bunch, if we give it time. I wish you lots of time and small happinesses, as well as a good response to treaments...............................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    cinda said:

surgery

Hope you are doing well and recovering.  

Glad you got a secodn opinoin and are moving instead of standing still on this. 

Thinking of you. 

Tru

• cinda
    edited May 2020 #12
    surgery over

Had surgery the 18 of may ,laparoscopy and laporatomy put on colostomy bag . This is 6 days later. have some pain. they said no tumors on the outside of the big tumor or on the outside of the liver. though the liver has 5 lisions inside. they suggest going to my cancer doctor for treatment to maybe prolong my life. Thank you for all your words of encouragement. I love that you guys are out there. hope your having the best day possible. your in my thoughts and prayers.

• Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 223 Member
    cinda said:

surgery over

Had surgery the 18 of may ,laparoscopy and laporatomy put on colostomy bag . This is 6 days later. have some pain. they said no tumors on the outside of the big tumor or on the outside of the liver. though the liver has 5 lisions inside. they suggest going to my cancer doctor for treatment to maybe prolong my life. Thank you for all your words of encouragement. I love that you guys are out there. hope your having the best day possible. your in my thoughts and prayers.

Praying

Cinda, hang in there. This journey we are in has highs and lows. Stay focused on the highs. Never give up. You are in my thoughts and prayers.