Exercise helps with everything

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited January 2020 in Colorectal Cancer #1

More support for my saying that "exercise helps with everything." 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213231719314636

Accumulating convincing evidences show that exercise reduces cancer progression and recurrence mainly in colon and breast cancer patients. Interestingly, the positive effects of exercise on cancer outcomes were mainly observed when patients practiced vigorous exercise of 6 METs or more. At the molecular level, experimental studies highlighted that regular vigorous exercise could reduce tumor growth by driving changes in immune system, metabolism, hormones, systemic inflammation, angiogenesis and redox status. In the present review, we describe the main redox-sensitive mechanisms mediated by exercise. These redox mechanisms are of particular therapeutic interest as they may explain the emerging preclinical findings proving that the association of vigorous exercise with chemotherapy or radiotherapy improves the anti-cancer responses of both interventions. Clinical and preclinical studies converge to support the practice of exercise as an adjuvant therapy that improves cancer outcomes. The understanding of the underpinning molecular mechanisms of exercise in cancer can open new avenues to improve cancer care in patients.

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited January 2020 #2
    Hmmmm

My mom was so active, kept her weight down, exercised to Jack LaLane (an old TV exercise program for those who are young) every morning, then did Jane Fonda workouts in the afternoon.  My mom died of breast cancer at 56.  I've know people that are nothing but couch potatoes and they are still here at 79.  I'm still a pro exercise person all the way as I'll walk at least 5-6 miles a day (using my Fitbit) and try to get up during commercials if I'm watching a TV show.  I'm still a believer in exercise.  Just love seeing all your hiking photos, it always looks so peaceful.  I'm a big supporter of people purchasing a pedometer so they can track their exercise, or steps.  It's a good reminder to get up and move.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    edited January 2020 #3

Hmmmm

My mom was so active, kept her weight down, exercised to Jack LaLane (an old TV exercise program for those who are young) every morning, then did Jane Fonda workouts in the afternoon.  My mom died of breast cancer at 56.  I've know people that are nothing but couch potatoes and they are still here at 79.  I'm still a pro exercise person all the way as I'll walk at least 5-6 miles a day (using my Fitbit) and try to get up during commercials if I'm watching a TV show.  I'm still a believer in exercise.  Just love seeing all your hiking photos, it always looks so peaceful.  I'm a big supporter of people purchasing a pedometer so they can track their exercise, or steps.  It's a good reminder to get up and move.

Kim

Hiking

The one added advantage to long hikes ("peaceful") is that it also helps my mind.  Especially during chemo, it was an incredible relief to not think about cancer and to focus only on hiking for a day.  That relief from thinking (or ruminating) continues to this day.  As long as coronavirus does not explode, I hope to be back out there next weekend.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Nothing soothes the soul

Quite like a long hike with my doggo , chases away the gloom and negativity. Maybe Ill see you out there some day Sand!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Vigorous

I like the way they say 'Vigorous exercise'.  

I like my mild Yoga, it suits my body at this time, espeically the hip damage from the raditaiton.  

I do hike up my canyon, and my hips ache on the upward, but I will not let that stop me. 

My body shape/weigh is testimony to how good I am doing, so obvioulsy not as well as I could. But, onward and upward.

Tru

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

Many people on this board simply are not capable to do it. Period. I personally was told to stay in bed after chemo because an attempt to take a 10 min walk was offsetting a spontaneous vomiting multipke times. Sure, I want to hike too! I also want to travel! I am not capable doing it. What should I do ? Butt. 

• Trubrit
    edited January 2020 #7
    Butt said:

Many people on this board simply are not capable to do it. Period. I personally was told to stay in bed after chemo because an attempt to take a 10 min walk was offsetting a spontaneous vomiting multipke times. Sure, I want to hike too! I also want to travel! I am not capable doing it. What should I do ? Butt. 

You just do what you are capable of

Yoga comes to mind - and I don't mean the pretzel yoga, or hot yoga or swinging from the ceiling yoga.

I started off with a very gentle yoga, that was just basically stretching, bending and meditating. And even with that, you just do what your body is comfortable with. Because of my hip porblems, I can only bend so far, so that is what I do. I push just a TINY bit. The body tells you when it is too much. 

Breathing is also important. Not just the regular every day breathing, but a gentle guided breathing. Well placed oxygen can feed the organs and tissue and lead to better health for mind and body. 

Exericse is what works for you where you are now in your journey.  You know your body, follow its lead. 

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    Trubrit said:

You just do what you are capable of

Yoga comes to mind - and I don't mean the pretzel yoga, or hot yoga or swinging from the ceiling yoga.

I started off with a very gentle yoga, that was just basically stretching, bending and meditating. And even with that, you just do what your body is comfortable with. Because of my hip porblems, I can only bend so far, so that is what I do. I push just a TINY bit. The body tells you when it is too much. 

Breathing is also important. Not just the regular every day breathing, but a gentle guided breathing. Well placed oxygen can feed the organs and tissue and lead to better health for mind and body. 

Exericse is what works for you where you are now in your journey.  You know your body, follow its lead. 

Tru

Swimming

Swimming is another form of exercise that is easy on the joints and can be taken at your own pace.

• Trubrit

Swimming

Swimming is another form of exercise that is easy on the joints and can be taken at your own pace.

Loved to swim

I used to swim at 5 am three times a week, but alas, having an unpredictable bowel does not make swimming enjoyable at this point. 

But yes, swimming is a wonderful exercise that you can also do at your own pace. 

Tru

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Trubrit said:

Loved to swim

I used to swim at 5 am three times a week, but alas, having an unpredictable bowel does not make swimming enjoyable at this point. 

But yes, swimming is a wonderful exercise that you can also do at your own pace. 

Tru

Swimming

Oh Tru,this is so true Wink!

For me swimming had been the best exercise, but after my 2 colon surgeries (first one was the colorectal tumor removal,the second one was the ileostomy reversal) I am never sure when my next bowel movement happens,and when is happens I need to be in a washroom fast! I am YMCA member,and-unfortunately-I have my membership on hold,planing to return to the swimming pool after I get hold of my "new normal". I miss the water so much!!!

Suzy

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    I was exercising after the

I was exercising after the surgery and after the ablation up until week 3 of FOLFOX and I haven't been inside the gym (Except to watch my son) since then. I have found some energy to take walks but that has been rare. I have five rounds left now but I am thinking about quitting after the next CT scan so I can get to have some kind of life. I'm sure it will end up that the next CT scan coincides with the last week of chemo, LOL