Keytruda side effects

Hi,

have any of you fine ladies been on Keytruda and could you please speak on side effects.

thanks

Little Annie

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Keytruda Side Effects

I haven't taken Keytruda, but derMaus wrote about her side effects from Keytruda at https://csn.cancer.org/node/318102 Gardena also shared some information about her experience with it at https://csn.cancer.org/node/318543

As you may know, derMaus is sadly no longer with us, but Gardena still checks in periodically. You may want to private message her if she doesn't spot this question. You can also try searching for the term "immunotherapy" to see if other posts pop up.

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member
    Also am interested

I have been offered keytruda/lenvima for an option for my 3rd recurrence of UPSC. It is very new and was approved in Sept. 2019 in the US, Canada, and Australia. However, the clinical trials are ongoing so no one is sure of the results. I have some other options but this one seems the best unless I op for surgery which is questionable. So hope we get more who have or are on these. I followed der Maus and we emailed about Keytruda.  Thanks cmb for posting those as well.

• Armywife
    Armywife Member Posts: 451 Member
    Keytruda

When I was diagnosed in April of 2017, I spoke with a young friend who is a PhD geneticist.  She is the one who told me to ask for genetic testing to see if I had the markers for Lynch syndrome.  She said that if I did (MSI-H), I'd be eligible for Keytruda and that it was so amazing it had been fast-tracked to approval because the results were so good.  I have no personal experience with it because I haven't yet had a recurrence, but it is definitely reassuring to know that it's there.  

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Armywife said:

Keytruda

When I was diagnosed in April of 2017, I spoke with a young friend who is a PhD geneticist.  She is the one who told me to ask for genetic testing to see if I had the markers for Lynch syndrome.  She said that if I did (MSI-H), I'd be eligible for Keytruda and that it was so amazing it had been fast-tracked to approval because the results were so good.  I have no personal experience with it because I haven't yet had a recurrence, but it is definitely reassuring to know that it's there.  

Approved for non-MSI-H too

Just for reference of others' reading this who may not be aware, Keytruda has been shown helpful for non MSI-high now, too.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Tamlen said:

Approved for non-MSI-H too

Just for reference of others' reading this who may not be aware, Keytruda has been shown helpful for non MSI-high now, too.

In combination with

In combination with lenvatinib (Lenvima), but at least that one is a pill.

• Little Annie
    Little Annie Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2020 #7
    Keytruda and Lenvima

Just talked with my oncologist and he is all in favor in starting the Keytruda and Lenvima.......so as soon as Avastin washes out of my system, I plan to start this.    I am very concerned about side effects and will keep you all informed of my experience.  

• Little Annie
    Little Annie Member Posts: 28 Member

Also am interested

I have been offered keytruda/lenvima for an option for my 3rd recurrence of UPSC. It is very new and was approved in Sept. 2019 in the US, Canada, and Australia. However, the clinical trials are ongoing so no one is sure of the results. I have some other options but this one seems the best unless I op for surgery which is questionable. So hope we get more who have or are on these. I followed der Maus and we emailed about Keytruda.  Thanks cmb for posting those as well.

Keytruda and Lenvima

I am also on 3rd recurrence of UPSC.   Have looked at many trials but the immune checkpoint inhibitor sound like the best choice.

• Donna Faye
    Donna Faye Member Posts: 427 Member

Keytruda and Lenvima

Just talked with my oncologist and he is all in favor in starting the Keytruda and Lenvima.......so as soon as Avastin washes out of my system, I plan to start this.    I am very concerned about side effects and will keep you all informed of my experience.  

We should say in touch

LA, I go in Tuesday to try and decide treatment choice. My children, some medical friends and I have researched for a month all the options. My UPSC keeps recurring on the V cuff and can have no more radiation.  I am leaning toward the K-L as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us. DF

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Keeping an eye on this

This is interesting to me since I was evaluated last summer for a clinical trial of they Keytruda/Lenvima combination.  My lung met had become "not concerning" and wasn't large enough any more so I was disqualified - and then almost immediately they called to tell me the combination had been approved.  My oncologist felt like we needed to save that for later, but I'm watching.  I have a friend on Keytruda for a different cancer now, so it'll be interesting to see how she does.

Best of luck to those of you taking it!

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member

We should say in touch

LA, I go in Tuesday to try and decide treatment choice. My children, some medical friends and I have researched for a month all the options. My UPSC keeps recurring on the V cuff and can have no more radiation.  I am leaning toward the K-L as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us. DF

Good luck, Tuesday, Donna Faye

Let us know how your visit went. 

xxoo

Denise

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    immunotherapy

I have not had keytruda but I was in a clinical trial for a different immunotherapy drug. In some cases, the immune system can begin to attack your own body, which happened to me. I don't believe it happens very often, and mine was a trial without published results whereas keytruda is an approved medication with published results.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    jan9wils

Glad to hear from you again. Hope your recovery from surgery has been uneventful. Let us know what your next steps might be,

Denise

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member

jan9wils

Glad to hear from you again. Hope your recovery from surgery has been uneventful. Let us know what your next steps might be,

Denise

Thank you for your thoughts!

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm doing well after my surgery but still on restriction for another few weeks. Trying not to lift things over 10 llbs is hard. i began taking letrozole three weeks ago and so far am not having the same side effects I had three years ago, so that's good. I'm not sure what I want to do for treatment. My ONC recommended another PET scan in March and then we can explore options once we have the results. So that is my plan for now. I think I want to try metformin.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    jan9wils said:

Thank you for your thoughts!

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm doing well after my surgery but still on restriction for another few weeks. Trying not to lift things over 10 llbs is hard. i began taking letrozole three weeks ago and so far am not having the same side effects I had three years ago, so that's good. I'm not sure what I want to do for treatment. My ONC recommended another PET scan in March and then we can explore options once we have the results. So that is my plan for now. I think I want to try metformin.

Glad to hear you're doing well

It is hard to follow the restrictions but better than starting over.  Interesting to note that you aren't having the same side effects with the letrozole this time. Along with some other side effects, after I'd been on that for about 6-7 months my hair started coming out.  They switched me to Megace (not because of the hair) and it's at least slowed down.  At some point they may want to put me on letrozole and everolimus so I'm interested to know that the side effects may be different (or absent) if I take it again.

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member

Glad to hear you're doing well

It is hard to follow the restrictions but better than starting over.  Interesting to note that you aren't having the same side effects with the letrozole this time. Along with some other side effects, after I'd been on that for about 6-7 months my hair started coming out.  They switched me to Megace (not because of the hair) and it's at least slowed down.  At some point they may want to put me on letrozole and everolimus so I'm interested to know that the side effects may be different (or absent) if I take it again.

I've been on letrozole (I was

I've been on letrozole (I was 3a, grade 2 endo) about 1 1/2 years now with no issues. The dr did put me on vitamin d, calcium, and super b complex. 

• MAbound
    MAbound Member Posts: 1,168 Member

I've been on letrozole (I was

I've been on letrozole (I was 3a, grade 2 endo) about 1 1/2 years now with no issues. The dr did put me on vitamin d, calcium, and super b complex. 

Folate

I'm in the midst of making documents to synthesize what I've learned about supplements from various sources. Your note about taking a b complex supplement with this treatment made me curious as to why and since I was working on folic acid/folate anyway I found this as to why you may have gotten this recommendation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15094213. Folate apparently helps to sensitize tumor cells to immunotherapy. 

I also came across this: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/folic-acid/  Scroll down and click on the button that says "cancer".

I get that we might need to take folate during chemo because it targets active tumor cells, but do any doctors tell you to stop taking it after chemo is done? I wonder how many people continue to just keep taking it unwittingly and if it might have an impact on recurrence? I only took B12 during treatment because I was concerned about the mega doses of B6 and Folate in such complexes which have upper tolerable limits whereas B12 does not.

• barnyardgal
    barnyardgal Member Posts: 272 Member
    MAbound said:

Folate

I'm in the midst of making documents to synthesize what I've learned about supplements from various sources. Your note about taking a b complex supplement with this treatment made me curious as to why and since I was working on folic acid/folate anyway I found this as to why you may have gotten this recommendation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15094213. Folate apparently helps to sensitize tumor cells to immunotherapy. 

I also came across this: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/folic-acid/  Scroll down and click on the button that says "cancer".

I get that we might need to take folate during chemo because it targets active tumor cells, but do any doctors tell you to stop taking it after chemo is done? I wonder how many people continue to just keep taking it unwittingly and if it might have an impact on recurrence? I only took B12 during treatment because I was concerned about the mega doses of B6 and Folate in such complexes which have upper tolerable limits whereas B12 does not.

Ill have to check with her. I

Ill have to check with her. I thought it was in response to my concern about thinning hair while using letrozole. I thought biotin was answer but she said it was more complicated than that and said to take super b. Though maybe I missed something. My hair is nice and full anyway☺

One other thing she mentioned is if I take a multi vitamin, to only take one without synthetic vitamin a, as that could be a cancer risk. So I take a whole foods vitamin.