Is it wrong

Steelkiwi686
Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member

Is it wrong to be annoyed that the only services I find concerning cancer support programs in my area are all specific to breast cancer patients and survivors?

I do not begrudge anyone the services, they certainly are in need, I just wonder where are the programs for others?

ugh I hate that I said that out loud and also regret that it is true in my experience.

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    I totally understand. I was

I totally understand. I was gave the gilda's club a few tries for their living with metastatic cancer. About half had breast cancer, and kind of talk about their specific treatments dominated. They do have other groups, but none for colon cancer. That being said, it is a truly amazing place, so maybe I should try again. I really should go to a support group.

• annie4145
    annie4145 Member Posts: 218 Member
    I admit that I am being petty

I admit that I am being petty as well, but I so wished that I had breast cancer when I was diagnosed because they have all the support, the pink ribbons, etc, and it today socially acceptable to say that you have breast cancer (although years ago, I understand that it was stigmatized.)

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Ewww!

Breasts are beautiful and we are allowed to talk abuot them. 

Rectums, bowels, and the anus are all rather ewww, and thus, not easy on the ears, thus; breast Cancer gets a bit more screen time, so to speak. 

Still, when we have our day - or month, which would be March, it is politely called Colon Cancer, which is becoming easier on the ear.  

I feel sorry for Anal Cancer patients, becasue there is no sugar coating that name. 

I refuse to be 'embarrased' when I talk about having ColoRECTAL Cancer. 

It is OK to fell a little left out, but at the end of the day, any Cancer is nasty, and I'm happy that there are support groups out there, even if the scales seem to be tilted a little toward the ones that are not so emarrasing. 

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Frustration

I'm sometimes very annoyed that we don't get all those advertisements in March like October does, however, cancer stinks at anytime of the month so I'd rather we just get rid of cancer and not have to think about what color goes with each month.  It's ok to be frustrated as we all need to make sure that we speak up letting people know that early detection is the best means of defense for this silent killer. 

Kim

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Frustration

I'm sometimes very annoyed that we don't get all those advertisements in March like October does, however, cancer stinks at anytime of the month so I'd rather we just get rid of cancer and not have to think about what color goes with each month.  It's ok to be frustrated as we all need to make sure that we speak up letting people know that early detection is the best means of defense for this silent killer. 

Kim

Early Detection Slogan suggestion

I think they need a catchy slogan for Cancer Awareness Month. Something like “The A S S you save could be your own”

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    I like that one PhillieG! 

I like that one PhillieG! 

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    Where I live I would have to

Where I live I would have to drive 45 mins to get to ANY cancer support group. I think it's stupid. I've been trying to look in to getting a support group started in my area, but all I'm getting is the run around.

I have no problem what so ever in telling people I have butt cancer. I do joke and say it had to be the butt since it's the biggest part of me, but that being said, I've nagged everyone around me to get a colonoscopy. Specially my daughters even though they are only in thier 30's. My youngest daughter's boyfriend's dad died of rectal cancer, so I nag him and his siblings too. LOL pretty much anyone who will listen.  I even asked the surgeon who removed my port if he had gotten his butt poked too. 

I had a friend who does shirts make me one that says "Cancer sucks in every color" and I wear it during breast cancer month. Makes me mad that breast and cervical cancer get all the services, and I think it's our "job" to let the powers that be know there are other cancers that need help too.

Ok, let me get off my soap box. Spread love and joy wherever you go today!

• Steelkiwi686
    Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member
    Exactly

Cancer does suck In every color and if 'd buy that shirt if I saw one!

I wasn't referring only to support groups. I should have said services -yoga classes, coping with cancer, classes for hair, wigs, makeup classes for the new you, seminars, rides, supplies, help with caregivers, fitness, recovery, counseling and on and on and on.

Literally everything I searched on for services for cancer patients were All breast cancer specific with the exception of 1.

Not like oh here's a list of cancer specific services and the only one missing is colon cancer- darn.

more like here's 20 assorted offerings for breast cancer services, and one for prostate cancer and virtually nothing else.

Nothing for cancer patients and survivors generally and nothing for not only colon cancer, but head and neck, leukemia, kidney cancer, liver cancer or just plain cancer cancer -nothing.  I was looking under Cancer. 

It didn't seem to be because nobody wants to say colon,(in this case) lol it was more like if you don't have breast cancer - sorry nothing for you. No notes like All cancer patients welcome.

It makes me feel like as long as the public sees all these wonderful services being offered for (breast) cancer patients (to cover the girls), and an occasional one for prostrate cancer (for the boys), they lump it in and assume there is plenty of help out there for all cancer patients. Oh what Id give to go back to those days lol 

Its BS. Nuff said. (Before I offend the rest of the world.)

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited January 2020 #10
    Not Breast Cancer

Thinking about it, I have had more than a fair share of people who just expected that my Cancer was Breast, becauase I am a woman - and  of course I know men get Breast Cancer -  They are like 'Oh, I thought it was Breast Cancer', to which I usually cup mine and say 'Thankfully these little puppies are OK'. 

Both of my Cancer for Yoga DVD's are for Breast Cancer patients, but I use them regardless as they are gentle.  I would LOVE a yoga DVD that targets damaged hips & pelvic floor specifically.

Tru

• Bellesouth
    Bellesouth Member Posts: 27
    I agree!

I agree! It's like breasts are worshipped in our culture. For breasts to be diseased or removed is unthinkably tragic to those who view them as sex objects and to women who think they are ugly or less than a woman without them. To those people, breast cancer is the worst thing that can happen. Insurance pays for implants and reconstruction so they can look good (often better than before to outward appearances), but would not pay for a tummy tuck or liposuction after having a third of my colon removed. Unfair!

The National Colorectal Cancer Alliance has campaigns in March with free downloadable materials. Last year's theme was "Don't Assume". I put this on my Instagram page and added the hashtags. At least 20 people saw it. Woooooo. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll be the Susan Komen of colorectal cancer. Haha.

• abita

I agree!

I agree! It's like breasts are worshipped in our culture. For breasts to be diseased or removed is unthinkably tragic to those who view them as sex objects and to women who think they are ugly or less than a woman without them. To those people, breast cancer is the worst thing that can happen. Insurance pays for implants and reconstruction so they can look good (often better than before to outward appearances), but would not pay for a tummy tuck or liposuction after having a third of my colon removed. Unfair!

The National Colorectal Cancer Alliance has campaigns in March with free downloadable materials. Last year's theme was "Don't Assume". I put this on my Instagram page and added the hashtags. At least 20 people saw it. Woooooo. Oh well. Maybe someday I'll be the Susan Komen of colorectal cancer. Haha.

Are you saying liposuction

Are you saying liposuction because your belly got bigger after surgery or because, like me, you gained weight on chemo?

• Bellesouth
    abita said:

Are you saying liposuction

Are you saying liposuction because your belly got bigger after surgery or because, like me, you gained weight on chemo?

Neither really

Liposuction at the time of surgery to improve my appearance and help me feel better about myself. Like mastectomy patients who receive implants and reconstruction at the time of surgery to improve their appearance and help them feel better about themselves. I'm saying we don't get "equal time" (treatment). It was sort of tongue-in-cheek because obviously it will never happen. Just an example of how breast cancer gets all the attention and special treatment

• abita

Neither really

Liposuction at the time of surgery to improve my appearance and help me feel better about myself. Like mastectomy patients who receive implants and reconstruction at the time of surgery to improve their appearance and help them feel better about themselves. I'm saying we don't get "equal time" (treatment). It was sort of tongue-in-cheek because obviously it will never happen. Just an example of how breast cancer gets all the attention and special treatment

I don't get the comparison.

I don't get the comparison. They replace the breasts a woman has lost to cancer.

• Bellesouth
    abita said:

I don't get the comparison.

I don't get the comparison. They replace the breasts a woman has lost to cancer.

Agreed

Yes, but it is not medically necessary. You can live without breasts. The replacement is only for appearance. I would have liked some surgery to improve the appearance of my tummy. Like I said, it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek

• abita

Agreed

Yes, but it is not medically necessary. You can live without breasts. The replacement is only for appearance. I would have liked some surgery to improve the appearance of my tummy. Like I said, it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek

I for one am very glad that

I for one am very glad that it is mandated that insurance cover the cost of the breast replacement. 

• Bellesouth
    abita said:

I for one am very glad that

I for one am very glad that it is mandated that insurance cover the cost of the breast replacement. 

Oh my goodness. I absolutely

Oh my goodness. I absolutely do not have a problem with insurance covering the reconstructive procedure. I am happy for breast cancer patients that it is done.

This thread is about how breast cancer seems to get the lion's share of benefits-support, benefits and services. Support groups, pink ribbons everywhere, it seems that everything goes pink for breast cancer awareness month. At least that is what I gathered from the previous posts. I simply took it a step further saying I wish I too could have surgery to help me feel better about my body after cancer. Which is another benefit for breast cancer patients that we do not receive. 

I never said nor intended that breast cancer patients should not have reconstruction paid by insurance. My grandmother died from breast cancer, and insurance-paid reconstruction was not an option at that time. A few years ago, an aunt also had breast cancer and mastectomy. She did receive the reconstruction. I am absolutely happy for her. Again, I am not saying that mastectomy patients should not receive reconstruction. 

Please forget everything I have said prior to this sentence: Mastectomy patients SHOULD get reconstruction.

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    I understood what you meant

I understood what you meant Belle. Now that you mention it, because of the cancer my stomach is super flabby because of the weight I lost. A tummy tuck would have been great  LOL  I did tell the surgeon that if he was going to give me a Barbie butt that he had to give me the rest of her body too, but he didn't take me seriously (sigh).

• Annabelle41415
    PhillieG said:

Early Detection Slogan suggestion

I think they need a catchy slogan for Cancer Awareness Month. Something like “The A S S you save could be your own”

Awesome

I think you should market that Phil LOL.  That is perfect for our cause of awareness.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    edited January 2020 #20

I agree!

Like the picture

That is a great picture to attach to any e-mail or post.  You can tell she is young, but you are right, it can strike at any age.

Kim

• Samolo
    Samolo Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2020 #21
    Possible recurrence - 2nd opinions & treatment

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I am currenttly waiting on results to see if my stage 3 colon cancer has returned after 3 years and spread to my liver & spleen. I live in the greater Philadelphia area and originally went with the Crozer system. My site had a partnership with Fox Chase.  My oncologist is leaving for another hospital system that is not teally known for cancer, so I'm looking to go to Fox Chase, Jefferson, Penn Medicine (not UPenn), or MD Anderson Cooper in Camden, NJ. Does anyone have any experience with any of those centers? 
    thanks