Pembro/Cabo trial

I know I haven't been here in a while, and I wanted to check in.

I had been on Votrient for over 18 months, and it was keeping my lung mets in check. My October scans showed growth in one of the Mets, and a new lesion on my L5. I stopped Votrient in November, and two weeks ago I completed radiation for the spinal met and the growing lung met.

This past week I started a clinical trial of Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) and Cabo. I'm taking 60 mg of Cabo daily and have Pembro infusions planned for every three weeks. The study is being run by Urologic Oncology at  Univ of Colorado Health, which is where I go for treatment; I got lucky in that regard. It's obviously too early to tell anything, but phase 1 results were quite promising. I remain nervously optimistic and hope I can tolerate the meds and that we see some results in a couple months when I have my next scans. 

Comments

• Hd67xlch
    Hd67xlch Member Posts: 151 Member
    I dont post much either........

Congrats on keeping everything in check for 18 months, thats a pretty good run from what little I know about the drug thing, sorry you had new mets pop up. Here is to the new drug combo keeping everything in check for a long time to come, and a total lack of side effects!

Im surprised you were not put on the opdivo/yervoy combo, that seems to be the new popular drug combo as of late. I refused it a couple weeks ago when I showed a new 8mm lung met on my Dec scans. My Onc wanted me to go on that and have sbrt on the lung met , but I went back to my lung surgeon and and he made a phone call and next thing I know Im scheduled for lung rfa ablation  Monday Dec 23rd of that new 8mm met. Its supposed to be a out patient thing and Im told Ill be home by afternoon, Ill believe it when Im on the couch sipping bourbon tommorw night.

Best of luck

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    Hd67xlch said:

Congrats on keeping everything in check for 18 months, thats a pretty good run from what little I know about the drug thing, sorry you had new mets pop up. Here is to the new drug combo keeping everything in check for a long time to come, and a total lack of side effects!

Im surprised you were not put on the opdivo/yervoy combo, that seems to be the new popular drug combo as of late. I refused it a couple weeks ago when I showed a new 8mm lung met on my Dec scans. My Onc wanted me to go on that and have sbrt on the lung met , but I went back to my lung surgeon and and he made a phone call and next thing I know Im scheduled for lung rfa ablation  Monday Dec 23rd of that new 8mm met. Its supposed to be a out patient thing and Im told Ill be home by afternoon, Ill believe it when Im on the couch sipping bourbon tommorw night.

Best of luck

Thank you! I'm cautiously

Thank you! I'm cautiously hopeful this will work, too. As for the drugs, the other options were either axinitib and Pembro, or Ipi and Nivo (Inlyta and Opdivo}. I would've done the Ipi/Nivo if I didn't qualify for the study. Fortunately, I qualified. Phase 1, while a small sample, had nearly 100% positive results. The nurses in my oncologist's office, and in the infusion center, all said people have been responding well to the trial. And because of the bone Mets, I like that Cabo is part of the regimen. I think the fact that the doctors at my place of care are leading the study was a major factor, too. It's the best Urologic Oncology group in the general region; people come to this group from other states (Montana, Wyoming, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, and New Mexico). I had no idea it was this well regarded when we moved here two-and-a half years ago. I guess there are more benefits to living in Colorado than clean air and legalized cannabis. At least if you have kidney cancer, that is.

Best of success to you on Monday! I hope the procedure goes well and takes care of things for you. 

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Hd67xlch said:

Best of luck

Today

I'll be thinking of you today, HD.  Wishing only the best on your "procedure".  Just in case you have to stay a little longer and can't have your bourbon--I'll have a glass tonight!

Stub

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Best wishes

Best wishes to all of you.  Anyone with bone mets is given a bone strengthening agent.  Xgeva or zometa.  My husband gets an xgeva injection once a month.  Its interesting to read what is currently being prescribed.  Husband has been on Inlyta since 2013.  We are so pleased that it continues to work for him.  

Pinot Grigio for me.

• Hd67xlch
    Hd67xlch Member Posts: 151 Member
    stub1969 said:

Today

I'll be thinking of you today, HD.  Wishing only the best on your "procedure".  Just in case you have to stay a little longer and can't have your bourbon--I'll have a glass tonight!

Stub

Thanks....

Home already, it was a piece of cake, all said I was in hospital about 6 hours and that beats the heck of being in hospital for 6 days.  Now we can both enjoy that bourbon. Good luck

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    a_oaklee said:

Best wishes

Best wishes to all of you.  Anyone with bone mets is given a bone strengthening agent.  Xgeva or zometa.  My husband gets an xgeva injection once a month.  Its interesting to read what is currently being prescribed.  Husband has been on Inlyta since 2013.  We are so pleased that it continues to work for him.  

Pinot Grigio for me.

Thanks for the info on the

Thanks for the info on the bone strengthening agent. I'm going to ask my doc about this next week.