Graduation

jeffman
jeffman Member Posts: 46 Member

I am 51 months out from my prostatectomy and latest testing shows undetectable PSA. Things are looking good so far.

Problem is that I am schedueled for a partial nephrectomy of my right kidney because of a 4.6 cm mass discovered as a result of abnormal levels of liver enzymes. Luckily I will have the same surgeon, who I have absolute trust in doing the robotic procedure. Scheduled for January 8th. 

Unfortunately I seem to be getting used to this.

I wonder what forum I'll be able to post in after this:?"

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited December 2019 #2
    I'm on both

Went to the Neph Rodeo in 2002/ Had my prostate yankrd out 10 weeks ago. The neph is a bit tougher on you. hold on tight.

icemantoo

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Congratulations for the undetectable PSA

Jeff,

I am glad for knowing that you continue in remission levels. I take it as being another PSA of 0.01 ng/ml as reported before. I wonder about the side effects. How are you coping?
    I recall that you were a Gs7 with a pathological stage of pT3a pN0.

In regards to the kidney issue; can you explain how it was diagnosed. Did you get a biopsy of that 4.6 cm mass confirming cancer?

Above all, I hope the procedure goes smooth as well and that you come out unharmed and cured. Surely you can join and post in all the CSN boards but let's try to limit your attendance to these two boards only.

Best of lucks with the nephrectomy.

VG

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Biopsy for Kidney Cancer

At 4.6 cm they usually don't biopdy. Ocassionally what looks lije Kidney Cancer is't Less than 10%,

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,638 Member
    Intriguing Kidney affairs

Iceman,

Thanks for the comment. I know nothing regarding Kidney cancer or how such is diagnosed, but if it is via image exams I wonder how they differentiate between cancer and benign cysts. I have 4 of them on my left kidney and three on the right, one protruding out of the kidney, like a finger shape, was firstly diagnosed in 1977 with just one cm but it is now 7 cm in lengths. The doctor says it to be OK. Hum !!!!!!
    How is a mass represented?

Hope all is well in your PCa case.

Best,

VG

• jeffman
    Vasco

The kidney problem was discovered incidentally (as many are)during an unrelated procedure. Tests after an annual physical indicated a slight elevation in liver enzymes and an ultrasound was suggested just to take a closer look. The ultrasound found no problems with the liver but did pick up a mass on the right kidney. Next step was MRI which confirmed. Smaller masses are often dealt with by active surveillance,but at 4.6 cm likelihood is very high that it's cancerous. Pathology post op will confirm 100 %. Biopsies are rare for cases like this. Either way, though, a mass of this size has to go in order to preserve as much function as possible. Like with the prostate I'm learning on the fly.

• jeffman
    Correction- 27 months since

Correction- 27 months since prostatecrony ( not 51)

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    jeffman said:

Vasco

The kidney problem was discovered incidentally (as many are)during an unrelated procedure. Tests after an annual physical indicated a slight elevation in liver enzymes and an ultrasound was suggested just to take a closer look. The ultrasound found no problems with the liver but did pick up a mass on the right kidney. Next step was MRI which confirmed. Smaller masses are often dealt with by active surveillance,but at 4.6 cm likelihood is very high that it's cancerous. Pathology post op will confirm 100 %. Biopsies are rare for cases like this. Either way, though, a mass of this size has to go in order to preserve as much function as possible. Like with the prostate I'm learning on the fly.

"Size matters"

Yes, Jeff, it is my understanding also that when assessing organ tumors (as opposed to blood cancers) the tumor size will usually dictate surgical remoal when possible.  Surgical removal of the whole tumor is likely not much different than an excise biopsy anyway.  Best of luck with this, and praying it be wholly benign,

max