potential new treatment for relapsed DLBCL

Comments

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    ShadyGuy

Just read the article. What great news for anyone fight this form.  It is a good example of how research into the blood cancers and their treatments is advancing in so many ways.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    edited November 2019 #3
    yes

Great progress is being made but still no magic bullet! Dang!

wrong link!

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    magic bullet

It would be wonderful if there was a magic bullet that would take care of ALL cancers.  Until then we take what we can.

• ShadyGuy
    Magic Bullets

What I meant by magic bullets was a treatment that kills only cancerous b-cells and leaves the healthy ones alone. CD-19 and CD-20 targets are on most all B-Cells. I sure hope they find a target that is exclusive to only cancerous b-cels. That would make treatment much less harsh.

• Evarista
    Evarista Member Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2019 #6
    Versatility

While I am still struggling to understand exactly what about this TAC construct makes it less likely to induce the untorward responses that can result from CAR-T's, I am very excited about what appears to a super-easy "plug-and-play" aspect.  Meaning that the end bit that targets CD19 should be easily swapable for other end bits that target other things (CD20, CD33, other tumor antigens).  While it doesn't target a "magic bullet", it should be so much simpler (and cheaper!) to individualize for other tumor types. While adverse responses (or no response) would certainly still be possible, moving each new construct through the clinical pipeline should be quicker and I think we will see that happening in the near future. Hooray for progress! 

Be well, all.

• ShadyGuy
    CAR-T

CAR-T has a long way to go but it is being modified almost continuously. As a concept its great but as used in current practice its seems to me to be in the same class as Rituxan but a lot more dangerous. I am thinking what is needed (its being done as we speak) is to focus on searching out new targets specific to cancer cells. I am confident it will come along at some point. I read somewhere about some research being done with chemicals which gravitate toward the cancerous cells and then are activated by a specific wavelength of light to kill only the cancerous cells. Obviously a longshot and probably way too far out to ever benefit me. In Eastern Europe there is a lot of work being done on interfering with the cloning process using harmless things like nano particles to "clog" the cancer cells as they draw in material, mostly cholesterol, to construct their clone. SciFi stuff.