Best Drinks

wbcgaruss
wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
edited November 2019 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I know there was a recent discussion here about the best drinks for calorie intake. Not homemade but stuff you can purchase. I think there was a mention of a variety of boost that was extra high calorie but I can't remember the exact name. Maybe someone here remembers. Maybe boost HQ or something like that. Whatever it was I think it was around 650 calories if it's possible to put that much in one container. Right now I am using ensure plus and it is good for folks who worry about aspirating because when cold I think it is considered nectar thick. I am looking to put back on about 10 pounds.

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 467 Member
    Boost VHC

Russ

530 calories/8 oz. container. I buy off Amazon, and 27 cartons cost a little under $50. Have been using 1/day plus four 1.5 Jevities= 1940 calories. I don't know of any stores that carry the Boost, but know the big pharmacies can also order. Cheapest is by way of Amazon.

• wbcgaruss
    Logan51 said:

Boost VHC

Russ

530 calories/8 oz. container. I buy off Amazon, and 27 cartons cost a little under $50. Have been using 1/day plus four 1.5 Jevities= 1940 calories. I don't know of any stores that carry the Boost, but know the big pharmacies can also order. Cheapest is by way of Amazon.

Thanks Dave

That is what I was thinking of. I also found it on eBay for $43.99 + free shipping. Either way a good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boost-Very-High-Calorie-Complete-Nutritional-Drink-Very-Vanilla-8fl-oz-27cartons/254385218896?epid=10027051254&hash=item3b3a8a6550:g:PzUAAOSwf~Ndn1B2

• wbcgaruss
    Logan51 said:

Boost VHC

Russ

Dave How do

you like the flavor is there different ones and what is your favorite? Thanks for your input-Russ

Dave it looks like there is only one flavor--Very Vanilla

• Logan51
    wbcgaruss said:

Dave How do

you like the flavor is there different ones and what is your favorite? Thanks for your input-Russ

Dave it looks like there is only one flavor--Very Vanilla

FT

Feeding Tube, Russ, so flavor means nothing to me. I do get the Vanilla. Be wary of the best used by date, and shipping quality. Get mine from only one Seller, who ships with the case within another box, and 12/2020 is always the date. Read of others who bought from someone else, and they were beyond the noted date- and not very happy about.

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 88 Member
    high calorie boost

Hi Russ,

I tried drinking the high calorie boost and I found it to be thicker than the 360 calorie boost. I believe the high calorie one is 560 calories. I just could not drink it brcause it was too thick for me. I suppose I could of thinned it out. I was trying to make things as easy as possible at the time. I had better luck with the boost 360 vanilla, which I got at Walmart. I also got the 560 calorie one online. I actually bought 2 cases and ended up giving it to the radiation center for patients that wanted to try it. Hope your making progress with the recovery. God Bless and take care.

Rick

• wbcgaruss
    edited November 2019 #7
    Thanks DaveK and rickksmithgolfer for

Your input. Your comments are duly noted.  Will be wary of expiration dates. Actually rick the thicker is probably what I need right now as they have me thickening some of my drinks. I will try to get small quantities of each from like WalMart and CVS and give them a try before I buy case lots.

Rick Making progress. I am tired and out of shape from the ordeal but working on it. I found out one reason I may be tired I got a thyroid check and it is 17.96 and it should only be about 4.5 at the most. Family doc upped my thyroid med and I get it checked in 6 weeks to see where it's at then.

Take care all and god Bless and thanks for all the prayers.

• Logan51

high calorie boost

Hi Russ,

I tried drinking the high calorie boost and I found it to be thicker than the 360 calorie boost. I believe the high calorie one is 560 calories. I just could not drink it brcause it was too thick for me. I suppose I could of thinned it out. I was trying to make things as easy as possible at the time. I had better luck with the boost 360 vanilla, which I got at Walmart. I also got the 560 calorie one online. I actually bought 2 cases and ended up giving it to the radiation center for patients that wanted to try it. Hope your making progress with the recovery. God Bless and take care.

Rick

No big deal

Rick

Is 530 calories. Got 2 cases in the kitchen right now. Main difference between the Boost and Jevity 1.5 is the amount of Fat, which my Dr. says is a plus for gaining weight.

Image result for boost vhc ingredients

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 88 Member
    wbcgaruss said:

Thanks DaveK and rickksmithgolfer for

Your input. Your comments are duly noted.  Will be wary of expiration dates. Actually rick the thicker is probably what I need right now as they have me thickening some of my drinks. I will try to get small quantities of each from like WalMart and CVS and give them a try before I buy case lots.

Rick Making progress. I am tired and out of shape from the ordeal but working on it. I found out one reason I may be tired I got a thyroid check and it is 17.96 and it should only be about 4.5 at the most. Family doc upped my thyroid med and I get it checked in 6 weeks to see where it's at then.

Take care all and god Bless and thanks for all the prayers.

Thyroid

I'm 14 months out from my Tonsil cancer treatment. My thyroid looked great after out of treatment for 6 months. However, my last blood test inducated the thyroid was starting to fail already. I knew in advance this was eventually going to happen, Was hoping it would last a little longer though. If that is the worst thing that happens to me I will be very grateful. I was feeling great until about 4 weeks ago and then I started to feel tired all the time. Good indication the thyroid was acting up. Anyway, I started Synthroid 50 mg about 3 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for it to kick in. They say give it 6 weeks. Another blood test at that 6 week mark to see how the numbers look. God Bless and keep up the good fight.

Rick

• Flyinhigh
    Flyinhigh Member Posts: 7
    High calorie

I use a powdered mix from GNC called 1340.  If you followed their mixing instructions and used 4 large scoops with water and you supposedly get 1340 calories.  I mix it half or third strength with 12 oz. of milk and figure I get 500-600 calories, plus a lot of protein.  You can try this and if you don't like it or can't tolerate it GNC will take it back and refund your money. It comes in vanilla, chocolate or strawberry(my favorite). I used this during my 40 rads & 3 Cisplatin for SCC two years ago, had to force it down, without a tube, and only lost 15 lbs.  6 months later after I was supposed cured, SCC metastasized to liver and spine.  Had 10 radiation and then started immunotherapy for last 9 months and am still supplementing diet with the 1340.  Can't seem to gain much weight as food has no taste and saliva is very little.  I had posted my about this two years ago but can't seem to find it in the archives.  Prayers to all and I hope we can all buy enough time until some cures come down the road.  Be your own advocate as there are a lot of promising treatments on the horizon

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    calorie

I used a drink called Scandishake, bought it through Amazon. It's really good, can't remember the calorie and protien, I made it with crushed ice and milk in a blender, delicious

• wbcgaruss
    Flyinhigh & Grandmax4 Thanks

For your drink suggestions. I will print yours and the other folk's suggestions out so I have them for future reference. That makes this forum great we can get and give help to so many.

Flyinhigh so sorry your cancer came back. Have the 10 radiation treatments helped and is the immunotherapy working? Prayers your way-Russ

• Flyinhigh
    Flyinhigh Member Posts: 7
    wbcgaruss said:

Flyinhigh & Grandmax4 Thanks

For your drink suggestions. I will print yours and the other folk's suggestions out so I have them for future reference. That makes this forum great we can get and give help to so many.

Flyinhigh so sorry your cancer came back. Have the 10 radiation treatments helped and is the immunotherapy working? Prayers your way-Russ

Russ thanks for the good

Russ thanks for the good wishes. The rad. to my spine was completed almost a year ago and hs eliminated the pain completely so far.  After radiation, one MO wanted to put me on platinum based chemo, another said Cisplatin didn't work before so why put all that toxicity in when it didn't work first time and he suggested Keytruda.  Used that for 6 months with good initial results but then MO felt it was not working(debateable) as my scans didn't look good.  Then he wanted to hit me with the 3 chemo cocktail and I saw that as a last ditch effort and went for other opinions.  Found a clinical trial that uses 2 immunotherapy drugs (M7842) and have been on this for 5 months with, I feel break even results, which I guess is a win in this battle. Like a lot of us, we kind of live from scan to scan. Bottom line is, other than some fatigue, I feel great and thank God for that.  Prayers your way as well.

• Drivingdaisy
    Drivingdaisy Member Posts: 263
    Drinks

Only drank Orgain, organic and small amount of natural sugar.  Decedided no more chemicals in My body.   I just poured it in My feeding tube.  I still drink it but the plant based.  Became lactose intoleran.  Good stuff.  I'm more of a naturalists but to each their own.  Going on 4 yrs NED, so did something right.

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 446 Member
    if you want to mix it up..

If you get the urge to mix it up, go with a high Protein Boost, mixxed with a carnation instant breakfast, and a few scoops of IceCream - that'll up your calories :)

• wbcgaruss
    Thanks all

For all the suggestions and input it is appreciated.