Hope for Neuropathy‎?

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
edited October 2019 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I came accross this article in abstract form only that may provide some hope for those with neuropathy  (please note that this appears to be a very preliminary mouse study):

Oxaliplatin is a cornerstone chemotherapeutic used in the treatment of colorectal cancer, the third leading cause of death in Western countries. Most side effects of this platinum-containing drug are adequately managed in the clinic, although acute and long-term neurotoxicity still severely compromises the quality of life of patients treated with oxaliplatin.We have previously demonstrated that therapeutically relevant concentrations/doses of oxaliplatin lead to a reduction in intracellular pH in mouse dorsal root ganglia neurons in vitro and in vivo and that this alteration sensitizes TRPA1 and TRPV1 channels, which most likely mediate the allodynia associated with treatment. In the present manuscript, we show that oxaliplatin leads to a reduction of intracellular pH by forming adducts with neuronal haemoglobin, which acts in this setting as a proton buffer. Furthermore, we show that FDA-approved drugs that inhibit carbonic anhydrase (an enzyme that is linked to haemoglobin in intracellular pH homeostasis), i.e. topiramate and acetazolamide, revert (i) oxaliplatin-induced cytosolic acidification and TRPA1 and TRPV1 modulation in dorsal root ganglia neurons in culture, (ii) oxaliplatin-induced cytosolic acidification of dorsal root ganglia of treated animals, and (iii) oxaliplatin-induced acute cold allodynia in mice while not affecting OHP-induced cytotoxicity on cancer cells.Our data would therefore suggest that reversal of oxaliplatin-induced cytosolic acidification is a viable strategy to minimize acute oxaliplatin-induced symptoms.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31634341

Comments

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    Have often wondered if

Have often wondered if Chelation Therapy would be useful in reducing the amount of Platinum left after chemo.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    It's Too Bad

It's too bad that some of the doctors don't read more about the effects of platinum in the human body.  After 5 treatments my concerns about the numbness that never went away after #4 was of no concern to her.  She said is was "just a nuisance."  Well, now I've got permanent neuropathy. 

Kim

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

It's Too Bad

It's too bad that some of the doctors don't read more about the effects of platinum in the human body.  After 5 treatments my concerns about the numbness that never went away after #4 was of no concern to her.  She said is was "just a nuisance."  Well, now I've got permanent neuropathy. 

Kim

Oxi

I am lucky to have stopped the oxi after only one dose, and I have almost no residual neuropathy, but if I did, I would likely reseach the possibility of using some meds "off-label" to see if I could benefit.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    If it goes away, how long

If it goes away, how long does it take? 9 months, a year...?

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    My doc told me that anything

My doc told me that anything you have after two years you are probably stuck with..

• nuc
    nuc Member Posts: 44 Member
    My wife, luckily decided

My wife, luckily decided against the oxaliplatin, but if she had, she would have been supplementing with Glutamine.  Every oncologist should be offering/including it with Folfox/Capox administration.

glutamine (15 g twice a day for seven consecutive days every 2 weeks starting on the day of oxaliplatin infusion). Efficacy of chemotherapy, neurological toxicity, and electrophysiological alterations were assessed. A lower percentage of grade 1–2 peripheral neuropathy was observed in the glutamine group (16.7% versus 38.6%) after two cycles of treatment, and a significantly lower incidence of grade 3–4 neuropathy was noted in the glutamine group after four cycles (4.8% versus 18.2%) and six cycles (11.9% versus 31.8%). By adding glutamine, interference with activities of daily living was lower (16.7% versus 40.9%), and need for oxaliplatin dose reduction was lower (7.1% versus 27.3%). There were no significant between-group differences in response to chemotherapy (52.4% versus 47.8%)

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    AnneO1965 said:

My doc told me that anything you have after two years you are probably stuck with..

That seems a reasonable

That seems a reasonable measure, mine was mostly gone by 18-20 months............................................................Dave

• SoCal42
    SoCal42 Member Posts: 78
    AnneO1965 said:

Neuropathy

My doc gave me the same time range, mine escalated after treatment ended, then just plateaued kind of permanently after that.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited October 2019 #10

Oxi

I am lucky to have stopped the oxi after only one dose, and I have almost no residual neuropathy, but if I did, I would likely reseach the possibility of using some meds "off-label" to see if I could benefit.

Good for you

I'm glad you had the sense to stop, and hindsight is always 20/20.  Just wishing my doctor would have listened to me a little more.

Kim

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

That seems a reasonable

That seems a reasonable measure, mine was mostly gone by 18-20 months............................................................Dave

That is interesting. People

That is interesting. People ask me because it has been 8 months since my last oxaliplatin. I have no idea and feared that maybe after 8 months it is permanent. I have one finger that is a little numb and feet neuropathy.