Glyphosate causing NHL?

I am a little over a year since diagnosis of NHL DLBCL - 6 rounds of RCHOP-21 and 32 IGRT radiation. Partial response from the RCHOP and complete response after IGRT. I will have a CT scan next month (3 months post radiation) as a final followup with my Radiation Oncologist and then meet with the Hematology/Oncologist to discuss my followups. So far-so good, hair is back and I have few if any issues - Thank goodness! Still have my port and I guess will keep for a while just in case??

It seems everytime I talk to anyone about the NHL in or our of the docs office the topic of Rounup (glyphosate) comes up. I don't know what to think. I live in the country and have reguarly used it for 30+ years every month to help keep the weeds down and along my fence lines. Since diagnosis I still do but now use a disposable face mask and gloves when spraying. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this situation. I asked my Oncologist what he thought and it only said that he simply did not know. I also searched the forum and didn't see anything - is this taboo to talk about?

Peace and Love - Dave

Comments

• Almost70now
    Almost70now Member Posts: 37 Member
    Roundup

Hi Dave,

In the early 80's I worked for our local school district in maintenance as a groundskeeper. We used roundup on all the fencelines for weed control and also on the baseball diamonds. We used the concentrated industrial roundup, not the deluted kind you can buy at stores for home use. We called it liquid gold mainly because it cost so much and also because it did such a good job. I would walk the fencelines on hot summer days in shorts not wearing any kind of protective clothing or a mask. Fast forward 30 years and now the same school district requires the groundskeepers to wear hazmat suits, attend classes on how to handle chemicals and be licensed. I attended a Lymphoma cancer work shop in Seattle in 2013 and learned that chemical exposure indeed does appear to be linked with NHL cancers. The group I was in were asked to stand up if they worked with the list of chemicals shown to cause cancer....one on the list was roundup. I was shocked when over 80% of the group stood when asked if they used Roundup. I sprayed acres of school yards daily through the spring and hot summer months and remember going home after work with it all over my skin, clothes and tennis shoes. I asked the doctor in our group if long term exposure to Roundup could have caused my Follicular NHL and he said yes. They had graphs showing high rates of Lymphoma cancer among farmers and groundskeepers that used roundup. I am in a class action law suit against Monsanto, the makers of Roundup. The Miller Firm LLC out of Virginia is handling the suit. Their phone number is 1-540-672-4224. They will send you a packet of forms to fill out and the information you need to qualify, Once you return the forms you will be contacted by phone to verify your information and after that has been done you will receive a letter from the firm telling you if you qualify. If you do, then a lawyer will be assigned to you and you will go from there. It's been 4 years since I qualified and I get letters from the lawyer every few months updating whats happening. It is a slow process because Monsanto is a huge corporation and of course slow to pay out claims, but progress is being made. Not sure if you are interested in all of this, but felt the need to share. Long term exposure to chemicals has indeed been linked to cancers like ours. You have nothing to lose and may gain nothing in the end, but you just never know. Sue

FNHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010.

• dtat67
    dtat67 Member Posts: 32 Member

Roundup

Hi Dave,

In the early 80's I worked for our local school district in maintenance as a groundskeeper. We used roundup on all the fencelines for weed control and also on the baseball diamonds. We used the concentrated industrial roundup, not the deluted kind you can buy at stores for home use. We called it liquid gold mainly because it cost so much and also because it did such a good job. I would walk the fencelines on hot summer days in shorts not wearing any kind of protective clothing or a mask. Fast forward 30 years and now the same school district requires the groundskeepers to wear hazmat suits, attend classes on how to handle chemicals and be licensed. I attended a Lymphoma cancer work shop in Seattle in 2013 and learned that chemical exposure indeed does appear to be linked with NHL cancers. The group I was in were asked to stand up if they worked with the list of chemicals shown to cause cancer....one on the list was roundup. I was shocked when over 80% of the group stood when asked if they used Roundup. I sprayed acres of school yards daily through the spring and hot summer months and remember going home after work with it all over my skin, clothes and tennis shoes. I asked the doctor in our group if long term exposure to Roundup could have caused my Follicular NHL and he said yes. They had graphs showing high rates of Lymphoma cancer among farmers and groundskeepers that used roundup. I am in a class action law suit against Monsanto, the makers of Roundup. The Miller Firm LLC out of Virginia is handling the suit. Their phone number is 1-540-672-4224. They will send you a packet of forms to fill out and the information you need to qualify, Once you return the forms you will be contacted by phone to verify your information and after that has been done you will receive a letter from the firm telling you if you qualify. If you do, then a lawyer will be assigned to you and you will go from there. It's been 4 years since I qualified and I get letters from the lawyer every few months updating whats happening. It is a slow process because Monsanto is a huge corporation and of course slow to pay out claims, but progress is being made. Not sure if you are interested in all of this, but felt the need to share. Long term exposure to chemicals has indeed been linked to cancers like ours. You have nothing to lose and may gain nothing in the end, but you just never know. Sue

FNHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010.

Glyphosate

Thanks Sue for the info. I have always used Farmworks 41% glyphosate concentrate with surfactant (Tractor Supply Product) because I use my Ag exemption (TX) for tax free. I wonder if that is associated with Monsanto (patent?). Really weird....my NHL was only in my right sinus area and I've wondered if it might be from breathing something?

• twowheels
    twowheels Member Posts: 31 Member
    Don't shoot me, I'm only a messenger. Recent article on RoundUp

Headline: Misinformation about one of the safest herbicides ever produced has created a lucrative business for ambulance-chasing lawyers and NGOs—at the expense of native species.

Authored by Ted Williams who does not list a conflict of interest, THOUGH his advocacy for fish and wildlife and the benefits of RoundUp for habitats is worth noting.
    From his bio: In addition to books and freelancing for national publications, he contributes the monthly “Recovery” column for the Nature Conservancy’s online magazine, Cool Green Science. He also serves as CEO of the Native Fish Coalition. 

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/glyphosate-does-not-cause-cancer-saves-native-plants.html

• Almost70now
    dtat67 said:

Glyphosate

Thanks Sue for the info. I have always used Farmworks 41% glyphosate concentrate with surfactant (Tractor Supply Product) because I use my Ag exemption (TX) for tax free. I wonder if that is associated with Monsanto (patent?). Really weird....my NHL was only in my right sinus area and I've wondered if it might be from breathing something?

You are welcome

Hi dtat67,

I don't know if the product you used is associated with Monsanto, but the container probably states the manufacturer on the label. All I know is Roundup is made by Monsanto. Being that your cancer was only in your right sinus area it would make sense that it could have caused it. It wouldn't hurt to take a closer look at who made it and go from there. Best wishes Sue

FNHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010

• Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3
    Max Former Hodgkins Stage 3 Member Posts: 3,803 Member
    edited October 2019 #6
    R-U

Dave, while Roundup very likely does cause, or contribute to the emergence of some NHL cases, all experts agree that it is not a factor in MOST NHLs overall,  Cases like Sue's, with long-term, industral strength exposure are the most clear cut.

I was working (as a vendor) for the VA when they began their policy of covering ALL cases of prostate cancer for any veteran who could prove significant interaction with Agent Orange; this of course was linked mostly to guys in Viet Nam.   The policy as enfored today in essence (but not officially) says that any vet from Vietnam with PCa (prostate cancer) qualifies for VA treatment of the disease.  In the civilian realm, Roundup may be moving somewhat in this direction, but probably will settle for a policy closer to the baby powder/ovarian cancer approach, in which exposure will warrant compensation, but only with significant proof of 'significant' use, whatever that is -- something only lawyers can define.

'Everyone with NHL is talking about Roundup' today, because they speak of what they know, and as regards cancer, most people know profoundly little.   Few or none of them know a fraction of what the average participant here knows.  When I told a friend a few years ago that I had had a prostectomy (removal of the prostate gland) for PCa, he asked almost immediately, "How do you keep facial hair after castration ?"   I explained that prostectomy never involves the testicles in any way; his response was "oh."   And he is an educated man.

The airways are flooded with Lawyermercials.   The truth is somewhere in the center of all this.  Almost all guitars sold in America today carry a warning that the State of California has determined them to cause cancer.  Since they are referring to the woods, the same is likely true of violins and other instruments, but I have not looked into it for other pieces.   An L.A. judge last year said grocery store coffee should carry Black Box Warnings for causing cancer.  My brother bought a hunting knife last year that has a Warning that the steel causes cancer, according to the State of California.  Good luck in deciding what to do,

Fortunately, this has been mostly rescended:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/30/california-judge-rules-that-coffee-requires-cancer-warning.html

• Almost70now
    No problem....

Hi twowheels,

No problem with me on the information you have. Smile Claims have been awarded and more to come. The law firm I'm working with is the leader in the fight against Monsanto and have sent me letters warning of other firms claiming they can help. I joined the suit after coming back from the Cancer workshop in Seattle and hearing the information the doctors had shared about the different chemicals that have been proven to show high risk for NHL from using certain chemical with long term exposure. I was exposed over a long period of time using an industrial strength form of Roundup which the formula has since been changed and no longer in use due to risk of cancer. The company obviously changed the formula knowing this, but many folks had already been exposed, as in my case. There is always controversy regarding such suits and with good reason with the many baseless suits flooding the court system, but farmers and groundskeepers that attended the workshop all had NHL after long term exposure. Must be some explanation for this. Anyways...we will see. Thank you for your info and I appreciate your response. Smile Sue 

FNHL-stage3-grade2-typeA-diagnosed June 2010 

• dtat67
    edited October 2019 #8
    Thanks for the responses

Very interesting responses from everyone. I actually have been approached by multiple law firms (phone) after my chemo treatments. Not sure how they found out about my diagnosis, etc? Discussing some of this with my Oncologists they seem to have the attitude that no one really knows the cause/s but mine said that a supressed immune system, certain viruses and bacteria, certain chemicals?, and just aging.

I tend to be cynical about a lot since my surprise cancer diagnosis. I do understand that genetics, diet, lifestyle choices, and environmental factors can all contibute to cancer diagnosis. When it comes to corporations I simply do not trust any of them. Based upon my own career I know that in lots of cases risk is simply viewed as a "cost of doing business". 

When is comes to glyphosate (active ingredient in Roundup) I'm not sure we will EVER know and I suspect that Bayer(Monsanto) is looking to primarily reduce their risks and will more than likely try to settle and move on. I know it won't help me get past my cancer (only the doctors can help me now) but wondering if I should join the class action and more importantly if I should stop using the herbicide. I think of all of the crops that use the herbicide on a regular basis (wheat, oats, peas, soybeans, peas, flax, rye, buckwheat, millet, canola, beets, potatoes) and that's not counting the GMO crops. So our society is being exposed to a lot of possible carcinogens if it is responsible.

I do think it would be of value to actually find the answer vesus just paying money to dismiss the problem. IMO, this is the perfect case for increased regulation of food production to ensure the publics safety.

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    herbicides

When we bought our house over 40 years ago we put in a good sized vegetable garden. My husband wasn't happy when I insisted we weed by hand. I subscribed to Organic Gardening. I was careful about what we used for fertilizer too. Years went by and the garden gave way to a swing set and later a pool for the kids. Yet when ever my husband would come home with something to kill weeds or bugs I would read the label. It took time but I finally got through to him that if a label indicated not to put it around where animals or small children were, do not buy it. So when the Roundup ads about a connection to lymphoma hit the airwaves he took notice. He had bought it a couple of time to get the weed in the drivaway but he stopped long before those ads hit. I notice he has finally started to be careful when buying those sprays. I also search for animal & child friendly ways to ge rid of the weeds and bugs.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,461 Member
    It's a gas...

For a fact, the benzene in gasoline is a known potent carcinogen. How many of us have handled and spilled gasoline filling mowers, garden tractors, leaf blowers, weed trimmers, cars, motorcycles, etc? I had much more exposure to benzene than to glyphosate. Decades ago, we used gasoline to clean grease and grime from our hands! Then, at a well-known aircraft manufacturer, I was exposed to acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, naphtha, lacquer thinner, various epoxy and polyester resins and catalysts. Working in the elevator construcion field, I routinely used trichlorethylene, ("Safety Solvent") as it was "safer" than flammable solvents in enclosed areas. 

Scientifically, nothing can be demonstrably proved in any individual case - only that it is likely, depending upon the amount and frequency of exposure. Many who have inhaled asbestos (myself included) never developed mesothelioma or lung cancer of any type. Is it our individual DNA which prevents some while allowing others?

Probably. But that element remains to be discovered and isolated.

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    main cause of illness and death ....

is obvious. Everyone who has ever lived before us got sick or was injured and died. Death is caused by living. As Po said, we are all exposed to many chemicals in life, some we know of, some we do not. But hey, there was lymphoma long before there were manmade chemicals. Lymphoma can be inherited? We don't know for sure on that. Also some of the absolute strongest carcinogens are natural " purely organic" substances. Black mold is a good example of that. Ever used a moldy shower? Most campgrounds have them. For myself I accept my mortality and try live my best one day at a time. I don't worry about Roundup. We all choose our own paths, at least to some degree. We are also sometimes victims of circumstance beyond our control. I decided to get over it, move on.

• dtat67
    Let the positivity flow

I love reading all of the optimistic responses on this forum. Yep as someone who spent my teenage and young adult years hot-rodding and working on engines of all kinds I was exposed to all kinds of "stuff" and at work was also exposed to asbestos, triclor, who knows what else through the years and never thought anything about it. Still don't, although I now use gloves for most everything (mostly because I don't like getting my hands dirty anymore :) )

After not giving much thought to most environmental factors for decades the sudden shock at age 66 of a bladder cancer diagnosis and then at age 67 with NHL diagnosis it kind of blew my mind.  After my early retirement I had always focused on staying healthy, exercised religiously everyday, ate good, did drink a bit soon after retirement more as a daily celebration of reaching my FIRE goals much earlier than I had expected, but gave that up after a few years. Now having been on the Doctor treadmill for about 2-4 years my life has totally changed. The more positive effects have been that time has dramatically slowed down after years of it racing by (been retired now for almost 16 years), my relationship with my DW has gotten closer than it has been in years (42 years of marriage) I guess because we both realize that our time is limited. The negative effects are that especially after the ordeal of recovering from chemo/rad and not doing much during that 9 month period I have gotten extremely lazy. I watch much more TV, read more, and seem to only do what I have to these days. My DW wife says that's what people do when they retire.....(she's so cool). 

• ShadyGuy
    ShadyGuy Member Posts: 896 Member
    very cool

yes, I too was into cars and motorcycles when I was young. I never considered using gloves. I washed the oil off my body with gasoline and old t-shirts. I remember my parents being gone on a cold winter day and deciding the living room floor would be a great place to repair my Norton engine (no garage).The entire house smelled like gasoline for a week. I was caught. so glad you are doing well!