Today was the day

Butt
Butt Member Posts: 352 Member
edited September 2019 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Today I gave another lecture to 11 brilliant doctoral students. It was odd because when I came to class there was only 1 lady there. The rest joined thru technology programs that are very fancy and they have an option to do so, but it was kinda strange to have only 1 person in class. The lecture went well. I drove  home and I bursed into tears because I realized that it was the LAST lecture I did in my career. I am no longer will be teaching in a classroom due to my health issues. I will work in other project. It was just another thing among many ones that cancer took away from me............

Comments

• AnneO1965
    AnneO1965 Member Posts: 182 Member
    I am so sorry... This disease

I am so sorry... This disease sucks, and I feel your regret deeply. I don't know what to say other than I feel you. Big hugs are mentally given to you.. Wish I could say or do more.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm sorry that the moment

I'm sorry that the moment came so abruptly, but in truth, life has many of these moments, we just don't confront them as harshly outside the context of having cancer. I was so busy coping with my cancer, her cancer, raising kids, and working, that I didn't see the debilitation of my feet and ankles coming, even with all the pain and signs. Guess I thought I was going to tough it out, but it doesn't really work like that. Anyway, I know that had to hurt, and I hope you can find meaning in the other aspects of your life, seems like this is the point where existence teaches philosophy to each of us. Be strong...............................................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited September 2019 #4
    I feel your pain

I too have just handed in my notice at work due to my ongoing side effects.  It hurts to leave behind something that you enjoy doing, and also the money. Even though I didn't earn allot - it being a simple job - every bit helps. 

I wish you the best as you continue with treatment and finding work that will allow you to do what you love. 

Tru

• MeAndMine
    MeAndMine Member Posts: 54
    I am so sorry. It's awful

I am so sorry. It's awful what this disease does to us and everyone around us. Wish it was different. Sending well wishes and hugs. Wish I could do more.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    So sorry Butt. If it helps

So sorry Butt. If it helps any my life has changed big time also. A dear friend whom I lived with for 30 years is now paralysed and in hospital. I am devastated also. We can handle what life throws at us with hope and faith. Blessings to you.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry

I'm so sorry that this happened.  It's terrible what this disease does to a person and how many areas of your life it affects, not just for you, but for everyone and everything around you.  I'm wishing you the best moving forward.  This board is always in my prayers.  Remember all those people that you helped by teaching and the lasting impression you gave them from your wisdom.  You are the true hero.

Kim

• betula
    betula Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2019 #8
    You are not alone

I know that it does not help saying that but.....my husband has just applied to retire on diablity from the fire service.  His job is/was so much a part of who he is and his coworkers were a second family.   We hope in the time he has left on this earth he can find statisfaction in doing the other things he loves and maybe find a part time job in something he enjoys.  He has also talked about taking classes.  I hope that you are able to spend time exploring other passions and interests that maybe you hadn't had the time for before.