Votrient

HLee
HLee Member Posts: 13

I have been on Votrient for 21 months.  My kidney cancer had spread into my lung before we caught it. I had both kidney and lung surgery 6 weeks apart. 

Has any one had cancer come back on votrient?

My hair turnd all white.  i have some dark hair return to my eyebrows and mustashe..

Comments

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 152
    Votrient

My cancer was discovered about 6 1/2 years ago.  Stage 4, with adrenal gland and lymph nodes invaded by the cancer.  Since then, I have had two recurrences.  After the second recurrence, I was put on Votrient.  For me, it has been extremely effective.  It's been 3 years and maybe more since that last recurrence and the change to Votrient.  My experience with Votrient has been very good.

My run may be coming to a close, however.  Something is showing up on one side of my lungs and tests are in the works to find out if it's cancerous.  There are so-called logical reasons to think that it is NOT cancer, but cancer is anything but logical.  

Anyway, you asked if anyone has had the kidney cancer come back while on Votrient.  For me, the answer for 3+ years was "no".  Now, the answer is "maybe".

I hope that this is of some help to you.  Best wishes and God bless.

Dutch

• a_oaklee
    a_oaklee Member Posts: 566 Member
    Votrient only for 2 months.

Votrient didnt help my husband, but they only gave it 2 months.  I thought at the time they moved on to another drug quickly.  He took Affinitor for 6 months and the tumors shrunk 50%.  They finally did the nephrectomy and postop put him on Inlyta.  He has taken Inlyta since 2013.

Im writing just to emphasize that there are other drugs, and other options now.  Each drug my husband took had fewer side effects.  In a way, we choose to consider changing drugs a blessing.  We try to look at whatever positives exist.

• HLee
    HLee Member Posts: 13
    Thank you

I have a friend whose kidney cancer returned in about 18 months on votrient. That concerns me so asking about others.

• rhominator
    rhominator Member Posts: 233 Member
    I was on Votrient for 3 1/2

I was on Votrient for 3 1/2 years before it became ineffective.  A good run. Then a year on Opdivo. Followed by a year on Inlyta. Now I'm on Cabometyx. Gene profiling has been started to help determine what the next line of treatment will be. I hope you have a good run on Votient too.

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 152

I was on Votrient for 3 1/2

I was on Votrient for 3 1/2 years before it became ineffective.  A good run. Then a year on Opdivo. Followed by a year on Inlyta. Now I'm on Cabometyx. Gene profiling has been started to help determine what the next line of treatment will be. I hope you have a good run on Votient too.

Change to cabometyx

rhominator;

Keep us (me, especially) informed as to what's happening with your switch to Cabometyx.  Per my earlier post on this thread, I was suspecting that a change from Votrient was due.  Well, that's how it worked out.  My new drug?  Well, it's Cabometyx.  Hope it does the trick for both of us.

Dutch

• ImNotDeadYet
    ImNotDeadYet Member Posts: 244
    I've been on Votrient for

I've been on Votrient for about 17 months. They put me on it when the mets were diagnosed on my lungs about a year after my nephrectomy. They initially shrunk and have been holding steady since. I've had the usual side effects, with GI issues being the worst and most persistent. But overall it's been manageable. From what I understood, for some people it works for years, while for others maybe months, weeks, or not at all. There's no real rhyme or reason. Fortunately, there are several alternatives to consider if it eventually stops working.