One Year Hike

After hiking a trail I love one year ago, I had a colonoscopy the next day and woke up to a nightmare. After getting the news of normal bloodwork and a clear scan yesterday, I went back and hiked that trail today. My profile pic is from today. My shirts says "Hope". Even on my darkest days I could find hope. When I couldn't see my way out of the dark sometimes, I could always come to this board and find a light. The support here has been incredible and I am so humbled and grateful. The trail was the same trail but I wasn't the same girl who hiked it a year ago. I've lost some things but I've gained so much more...at least that's how I choose to look at it. Sure, I'll have another scan in three months and will sweat bullets until I get the results like all of us do. Today, I inhaled the mountain air like never before and I don't think I missed a tree or rock along the way, lol. It was surreal to think I had hiked that trail last year with a tumor on my colon and two tumors in my liver. Today I was free and clear of them as I walked the same path. I will never take another "moment" for granted. Wishing each and every one of you hope, faith, and good things alway....hugs, M

Comments

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    Beautiful to read this . 

Beautiful to read this . 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Congratulations

Congratulations on the hike.  You look truly happy in the photo. Let us grab all of the moments that we can find. I always look forward to the months of relative freedom between the scans.  I hope you find peace in these months as well.

• myAZmountain
    myAZmountain Member Posts: 417 Member
    I know exactly how you feel!

Our timeline and progress are so similar--what joy there is in soaking up nature with a new found gratitude and appreciation for every single minute of feeling good! Feeling so blessed especially on this day-life is precious. 

• nuc
    nuc Member Posts: 44 Member
    Great picture and story to go

Great picture and story to go along with it :)  Keep staying active :)

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

You go , gal!!!!!!!

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Wonderful

So glad that you can truly and fully enjoy your mountain again.

kim

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    It's interesting and almost

It's interesting and almost magical the way I can stop pretty much anywhere and drink in the beauty in life, light, color, movement, or the conbinations that come even in the most mundane of circumstances. It's definitely easier on a woodland trail, or hiking to the local waterfall, but I can be stuck in traffic on the I10 and still watch the sky or, heading home watch the colors and shadows shift on the mountains I've watched all my life. If the cancer that was discovered 12 years ago Wednesday [25th], changed the way I look at the world, or just enhanced the effort, I guess that's something to appreciate in the midst of all it took away, and I do. I'm glad you get that part of it as well, M, I knew before to look for beauty, but getting things done, demands a bit of tunnel-vision, and I doubt I ever strap on those blinders again, because I don't have to, or want to. Enjoy the enhanced view, we've certainly paid for that privilege........................................................Dave