Hyaluronic acid promotes CRC?

SandiaBuddy
SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member

Okay, this is a startling one for me, as I take a supplement with hyaloronic acid, but this abstract (full study not available for free) seems to indicate it promotes CRC.  It is a key ingredient in Schiff Move Free Triple Action and a Costco knock off, Kirkland Triple Action Joint Health.  Once again, this is from the "for what it is worth" department, but as for me, I will discontinue taking this supplement.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Thanks for the heads-up

It is good to know of these studies.  

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2019 #3
    Supplements

I've read in several posts that you take a great deal of supplements.  Did you do that before being diagnosed as well, or just because you developed CRC and then started taking them after?  I've always done some supplements before like Calcium, but never the Vit D, probiotic, and a couple others that I'm on now.  You post about supplements I've never heard about so that's why I'm curious as to previous use.

Kim

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2019 #4

Supplements

I took no supplements before my cancer diagnosis.  I don't know, maybe that was wrong.  Looking back is of little use to me.  There is reliable evidence that some supplements tend to help, and preliminary evidence about others.  I guess it comforts me to know that I am doing all that I can to combat the disease. 

My Vitamin D was Low

My Vitamin D was low and usually they didn't test for that in a standard blood test so didn't find that out until after developing CRC.  I've heard that is one thing in common with CRC patients is a lot of them have low Vitamin D levels.  Was your level low also?  That is one vitamin that I've added to my daily supplements and usually have it tested every two years just to make sure it's near normal.

Kim

• SandiaBuddy

My Vitamin D was Low

My Vitamin D was low and usually they didn't test for that in a standard blood test so didn't find that out until after developing CRC.  I've heard that is one thing in common with CRC patients is a lot of them have low Vitamin D levels.  Was your level low also?  That is one vitamin that I've added to my daily supplements and usually have it tested every two years just to make sure it's near normal.

Kim

Low D

Yes, mine was low as well, which was a surprise to me as I get lots of natural sun.  Along with now taking a supplement (5,000IU. somettmes 10,000 in Winter) I stopped using sunscreen and I lay out in the sun for 30 minutes a day in the warm months.  I had to keep begging my doctors to order the D test, and they kept "forgetting."  I do not know why, as I am the one paying for the test. On my last go-round, they forgot again, despite my asking for it and their agreeing to order it about 30 minutes before getting the blood drawn.

• Nazareth
    Nazareth Member Posts: 88 Member
    This is why I'm leery of

This is why I'm leery of taking suppliments or herbs, or minerals that make claims of beign wonderful- many times they have not been tested for long enough by peer review science to know what they might be causing as side effects- There are loads of wild claims on the net- and from companies pushign hteir own brands etc-- and peopel think "It's natural so it must be safe' but there's just a lot we don't know about many suppliments-

That's not to say all suppliments cause negative side effects- soem have indeed been studied forl ong perioods of time- and do have definate benifits- butmany have not- and peope pushign htem coudl be c ausing peopel to experience bad side effects without knowing it-

Thingsl iek Vitamin D though, we do know that low D is quite bad- I get really low- down around 8-9 in winter- suppsoed to be around 30 or so i guess- so I'm forced to take them from time to time- but like i gt loads of kidney stones, and everytime i take D- they really ramp up in numbers for soem reason- who knows what it's doing to my kidneys-

Thanks for that abstract on the acid- good info to know-

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    I take the joint compound too

It has helped my arthritis so hate to stop taking it, but of course if it promotes cancer then its out.  I started tumeric and ginger supplement which is supposed to reduce inflammation so maybe that will be enough.  I was doing much better since I've been taking both.  What's next?  Seems like everything causes cancer these days. 

• SandiaBuddy

Supplements

I've read in several posts that you take a great deal of supplements.  Did you do that before being diagnosed as well, or just because you developed CRC and then started taking them after?  I've always done some supplements before like Calcium, but never the Vit D, probiotic, and a couple others that I'm on now.  You post about supplements I've never heard about so that's why I'm curious as to previous use.

Kim

Supplements

I took no supplements before my cancer diagnosis.  I don't know, maybe that was wrong.  Looking back is of little use to me.  There is reliable evidence that some supplements tend to help, and preliminary evidence about others.  I guess it comforts me to know that I am doing all that I can to combat the disease. 

• Qunol
    Qunol Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2019 #9
    Turmeric

If you are not feeling the benefit from your turmeric, you may also want to look into the absorption of it. For example, forms that are hydro-soluble absorb better.

• Joan M

Everything gives you cancer

Every thing gives you cancer was a Joe Jackson song back in the day.  In fact, I have found very few of the supplements I take are implicated in cancer. The boron in the 3 part medicine, if I recall correctly, has an anti-cancer effect, and potasium and cartilidge are likely fine as well, so maybe you can gain the benefit without the hyaluroinc acid.   Things like MSM and Glucosamine may work as well.  Anti-inflamatory effects seem to be a common theme in supplements that help with cancer, so others may help with the arthritis as well.  Fenugreek is one of the less common ones that seems to help me.

I didn't know that line was in a song, lol

It's good to know some of the ingredients are safe at least.  Thanks for the idea of taking those supplements separately.  No need to risk an increase of any cancer growths, since I am stage 4 it seems like I'll never be rid of it but sure don't want to help the tumors grow.

• Joan M
    I've heard Ginger is a good anti-imflamatory agent

That is being studied to see if it reduces incidence of colon cancer.   One of my former nurses is in research now and she said they believe it will help stop formatin of polyps.  My tumeric supplement has ginger in it, so I feel better about taking that one for now.  

• SandiaBuddy
    Joan M said:

I've heard Ginger is a good anti-imflamatory agent

That is being studied to see if it reduces incidence of colon cancer.   One of my former nurses is in research now and she said they believe it will help stop formatin of polyps.  My tumeric supplement has ginger in it, so I feel better about taking that one for now.  

Ginger

Not to sound like a total supplement nut (but I guess I am), but I take a black ginger extract supplement as well as drinking some ginger root in tea.  The funny thing about all of this is that I will never know if any of this works until I am dead.  But it does make me feel better to try.

• SandiaBuddy
    Joan M said:

I take the joint compound too

It has helped my arthritis so hate to stop taking it, but of course if it promotes cancer then its out.  I started tumeric and ginger supplement which is supposed to reduce inflammation so maybe that will be enough.  I was doing much better since I've been taking both.  What's next?  Seems like everything causes cancer these days. 

Everything gives you cancer

Every thing gives you cancer was a Joe Jackson song back in the day.  In fact, I have found very few of the supplements I take are implicated in cancer. The boron in the 3 part medicine, if I recall correctly, has an anti-cancer effect, and potasium and cartilidge are likely fine as well, so maybe you can gain the benefit without the hyaluroinc acid.   Things like MSM and Glucosamine may work as well.  Anti-inflamatory effects seem to be a common theme in supplements that help with cancer, so others may help with the arthritis as well.  Fenugreek is one of the less common ones that seems to help me.

• Joan M

Ginger

Not to sound like a total supplement nut (but I guess I am), but I take a black ginger extract supplement as well as drinking some ginger root in tea.  The funny thing about all of this is that I will never know if any of this works until I am dead.  But it does make me feel better to try.

Same with me

I haven't given up everything that is suggested, but I have started taking supplements.  Just trying to stay healthy as possible considering I have stage 4 cancer.  And it must be working so far, because my oncologists at the local cancer center and at Mayo Clinic tell me I am in "excellent health".  Funniest thing I've heard in years!  But I will take that as great news!  and will keep taking the supplements.  They must be at least partially responsible for my "good health" in spite of my terminal prognosis.   WinkWink   

• SandiaBuddy
    Joan M said:

Same with me

I haven't given up everything that is suggested, but I have started taking supplements.  Just trying to stay healthy as possible considering I have stage 4 cancer.  And it must be working so far, because my oncologists at the local cancer center and at Mayo Clinic tell me I am in "excellent health".  Funniest thing I've heard in years!  But I will take that as great news!  and will keep taking the supplements.  They must be at least partially responsible for my "good health" in spite of my terminal prognosis.   WinkWink   

Congratulations

Congratulations on your "good health" status.  Let's take all the good news we can get.  

• V1ct0ry
    V1ct0ry Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019 #16
    hipec treatment

Good morning?anybody have  success in hipec treatment? Best place to get hipec treatment. Thank you

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    V1ct0ry said:

hipec treatment

Good morning?anybody have  success in hipec treatment? Best place to get hipec treatment. Thank you

Welcome to the forum, V1

I am sorry you are needing information for Cancer, must mean that you or someone you love is on this journey.

I know we have had memebers who have had HIPEC, but you may find more responses if you start your very own thread.  Here is the link for the Forum Homepage.

Just click on Add New Forum Topic, and you'e good to go. 

Look forward to seeing your post.  And all the best as you or someone you love moves forward. 

Tru