Oil pulling?? (Coconut

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

Has anyone heard about oil pulling as a way to avoid mouth sores with chemo.  A friend said that her mother does that, and hasn't had any mouth sores (different chemo from us, tho.)

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

Alice

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    edited September 2019 #2
    Oil pulling

I read about that a while ago. I read both the pros and cons. It was a while ago, so I can't be of much help, as I didn't use it during treatment. 

I msut admit that I suffered allot from mouth sores during chemo. They were definietly worse when I didn't swish with the baking soda, salt and warm water.  For me that worked like a dream. 

Tru

• feckcancer
    feckcancer Member Posts: 189 Member
    i don't know about chemo

i don't know about chemo/mouthsores but i used to do this when my teeth were bad, before i got them all replaced with implants , & had chemo/radiation.   it helped with pain alot. get a tablespoon coconout oil (it starts out solid then goes liquid quickly) swish in mouth and especially between teeth for up to 20 mins, spit out. you can taste the stuff it pulls out from your gums/teeeth if they are infected. only thing i would do is check with dentist/doctor because i have heard that if your teeth are loose it may contribute to them falling out ,not sure if that is true or not,  mine were so bad they were falling out already so i didn't care, i did it for months before to try and get my really bad gums & teeth in as good condition as possible before mouth surgery  but if it is true might not want to risk it if chemo is weakening teeth anyway...having said that all my teeth were out and healing ready for implants when i was diagnosed/had treatment and i had no problem with mouth sores, was it from the months before of coconut oil pulling before or just luck. dunno? 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited September 2019 #4
    Miracle Mouth wash

My doctor ordered what they called Miracle mouth wash.  I'm not sure what it was but the pharmacist knew what it was.   Hope the sores get better though.

Kim

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

Miracle Mouth wash

My doctor ordered what they called Miracle mouth wash.  I'm not sure what it was but the pharmacist knew what it was.   Hope the sores get better though.

Kim

I don't have mouthsores yet

I'm just trying to act preventively I will stay chemo soon.  Today I get my port. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    abrub said:

I don't have mouthsores yet

I'm just trying to act preventively I will stay chemo soon.  Today I get my port. 

Option

It's a product that many people talked about when my treatment gave me mouth sores back in 2009 and I'm not sure they even use it now but it sure helped a lot.  It's good to be proactive just to stay on top of things.  Hope the port install went well.

Kim

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    I'm with Kim

Hoping the port went in like a dream, and is in a fairly comfortable spot.  In fact, where is it? I know its lower on the body, so I hope it doesn't sit under any wastebands, or get bunched when you sit down. 

Tru

• mojogirl67
    mojogirl67 Member Posts: 306
    I used coconut oil

I used coconut oil religiously before cancer and most definitely thru out my chemo treatments. It works!!! First thing in the morning I would head to the bathroom and scoop a big tablesoon into my mouth and swish while I went about my morning routine..about 10-15 minutes worth of swishing. It will pull out the rusted metal taste chemo leaves in your mouth and it will moisturize and coat those irritated places. If you want to brush your teeth after the first swish, just put a little more in your mouth to moisturize when you are done brushing. You can do it at any point you feel you need it. I NEVER used the "magic mouthwash". I bought the expensive Biotene mouthwash and it just sat on my counter never used. Everyone is different but I swear by the coconut oil. I use it to take off my makeup and to moisturize my face and body instead of using commericially produced products.  I LOVE it. Wishing you luck!!..M