And an update. :-(

abrub
abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member

My most recent visit to MSK showed that my cancer is much worse than we’d thought.  The PET scan showed spots of cancer on my lung, and I am now inoperable, at least until we can get the lung spots under control. The cancer has escaped the peritoneum, and has gone rogue. 

The “good” news is that the cancer has transformed, and is much more likely to be responsive to chemo, which I will be able to have locally. 

We’re disappointed in the news, but remain encouraged.  My MSK oncologist said that this is highly treatable.  My port goes in on Wednesday.

And now a favor:  Please don’t send me “Rah Rah, you’ve got this” messages.  I know to keep a positive outlook, and those reminders don’t help and don't affect the ultimate outcome. I know that encouraging me makes you feel better, but I personally find that I’m very realistic, and do have a very optimistic outlook. Ask questions, send emails, snail mail, and Dundee Ginger Preserves, but please limit phone calls.  If you want to talk, send me an email, and we’ll go from there.  I don’t want my life to be all about my cancer.  I intend to keep on living the good life despite it.

Comments

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    I feel ya! I don’t want my

I feel ya! I don’t want my life to be all about cancer either. Cancer sucks but this is the only life we get. Live your best life!

k

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    You know, I got wigs just

You know, I got wigs just because I don't want people on the street looking at me as a cancer patient.

Which chemo will you be on? I was on folfox when the lung tumors appeared so switched drugs that are working so far.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Interesting that they say it

Interesting that they say it transformed, in what ways i wonder? I still don't have the whole differentiation of cell structure understood. Hang tough...........................................Dave

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    abita said:

You know, I got wigs just because I don't want people on the street looking at me as a cancer patient.

Which chemo will you be on? I was on folfox when the lung tumors appeared so switched drugs that are working so far.

Well I have a new issue. I’m

Well I have a new issue. I’m going to see a gyro oncologist because I have postmenopausal bleeding. Although I got a clear biopsy and clear transvaginal scan, my gyro referred me to onc because they could have missed cancer cells. So I don’t know what I’m facing. I just know I don’t want to tell ANYONE that I may have yet a new cancer. 

I am scheduled for a 3 month CT scan at the end of August. Then they will check the lungs and liver. For the lungs, I was on avastin  xeloda.

k

• abrub

Interesting that they say it

Interesting that they say it transformed, in what ways i wonder? I still don't have the whole differentiation of cell structure understood. Hang tough...........................................Dave

It became less differentiated

which is more responsive to chemo.

• abrub
    abita said:

Folfiri plus Avastin

I did Fofox + Avastin in 2008.  Port goes in on Wednesday.  Chemo to start very soon thereafter.

• Butt
    Butt Member Posts: 352 Member

Who is your oncologist at MSK?

• abrub
    Butt said:

Who is your oncologist at MSK?

Diane Reidy

Diane Reidy is my oncologist, and seems to be both excellent and compassionate - very willing to work with me and my concerns, not just tell me what to do.

Alice