Hair loss

Options

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 46, now it's been 12 years now and I hardly have any eyebrows and I'm going bald. I recieved 4 cycles of AC and 12 cycles of weekly paclitaxel and Herceptin . I was initially initiated on Arimidex , then switched to femara for difficulty with arthralgias . I had a right breast mastectomy, following reconstructive surgery at the same time. I am in total shock that I'm going completely bald my hair was super brittle knotting up at the ends was so strange to me. I'm literally is going bald, is it any information I can obtain to take care of my problem or do I just accept that I'm going bald and find other alternative methods of glamorizing myself.im thankful I'm still here but I'm still depressed with heart failure and crohn colitis, bulging discs in my neck and now mild neuropathy. 

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Inhibitor woes

I also switched from Armidex to Femara.  I have been on Femara for 3 years now.  I have a hard time with my hair as well.  I feel it is getting thinner and I have difficulty deciding if I am seeing new growth or if it is breakage.

I assume it is the lack of estrogen causing this.  You did not say if you are still on Femara now.  Maybe a “late effect” of being on the drug for so long.  When I was first Dx the thinking was 5 years... Now I understand the recommendation is 10.

You are very positive and willing to accept what may be reality - please don’t lose that.  You are an inspiration to others!

thank you for sharing,

Kathy

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Prayers going up

Have you ask to have your thyroid levels checked?    That can cause hair loss.