Merkel Cell Carcinoma

audi
audi Member Posts: 2 Member
edited June 2022 in Skin Cancer #1
Hello,
My name is Audi and I was diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma 4 years ago. At the time of diagnosis I was considered a stage III and the progrnosis looked rather bleak. I am just wondering if there are any members here with the same Cancer. Merkel Cell is also referred to as neuroendocrin carcinoma, arises from uncontrolled growth of Merkel cells in the skin. It is a rare skin cancer with an incidence of about 1500 us cases per year. The exact causes of MCC are not known. If anyone here has this type of cancer and wishes to discuss it further, please contact me. There is much information and resources available.

Thank you,
Audi

Comments

• E1arl
    E1arl Member Posts: 4
    Merkel Cell skin cancer
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Merkel in November of 2007. It was found at he top of my head, The Mayo surgeon removed it and gragted skin from my breast. Then I had six weeks of radiation and it healed very slowly, almost a year! I go back every 6 months now for check up and so far doing very well. Where was you cancer located and how often is hyour check ups?
  • laineo
    laineo Member Posts: 3
    E1arl said:

Merkel Cell skin cancer
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Merkel in November of 2007. It was found at he top of my head, The Mayo surgeon removed it and gragted skin from my breast. Then I had six weeks of radiation and it healed very slowly, almost a year! I go back every 6 months now for check up and so far doing very well. Where was you cancer located and how often is hyour check ups?

my mom just diagnosed & need feedback...
    she's 76 & has a small eraser size on her inside wrist for around 3 months & now on the MCC trail. Trying to decide where to go NYC Dr. Coit or Seattle CCA, WA. w/ Dr. Nghiem. the only doc in charlotte NC. can't do surgery till May 22nd or later so seking help...advice, etc...
    Congrats on being clear. Is that still the case? any advice welcome. thx.
  • Marilyn Haney
    Marilyn Haney Member Posts: 5
    merkel cell

My brother was diagnosed this year with metastatic merkel cell.  It is in his lymph node, pelvis and lung.  He opted not to do chemo or radiation.  He is on immunotherapy, He has had three treatments and thus far doing good

• Ambersunrise
    Ambersunrise Member Posts: 1
    Merkel Cell Carcinoma

I was diagnosed with MCC from a cyst on my arm that grew rapidly in a few months. I went to a Dermatologist who asked if I wanted it removed. Of course it was unsightly and starting to turn a purplish color, so yes I wanted it removed. I'm glad it was, because it was biopsied and turned out to be a rare, deadly, fast growing cancer. Note: If you have anything suspicious on your body, please get it checked out thoroughly.

I am going for more surgery with an Oncologist to cut out the skin and tissue around the area where the cyst was and a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy. I had a Pet/CT Scan and Ultrasound which shows a nodule on my Thyroid which I need to go for a biopsy tomorrow. 

The doctors don't know the cause of this disease and since very few people get this disease, not much research has been done.This is very scary.

• Gail12022
    Gail12022 Member Posts: 1 *

Hello My mother an 87 years old women has recently been diagnosed with Merkel Cell Carcinoma which is in her nose. Part of the side of nose is firm and blush red and violet which has been like this for about 3 months now.

Biopsy was done and it reveal merkel cell carcinoma. knowing that this cancer spreads quickly, doctors will conduct other test to see if it has spread. I guess I am wondering how fast this can spread to other body parts. Are we talking days, weeks, months? Hoping there is still a chance the cancer is local in her nose and be removed.

She is already on the last miles of her life being 87, heart breaking and very hard to deal with. If anyone had a similar situation or can provide more info.