Can food affect ostomy leaking?

suzycruise76
suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member

This is a question for all ileostomy holders: can a food cause ostomy leaking? I made a mistake in my food choices today: my ostomy was holding strong since yesterday morning,I got a good news from my surgeon,so I was feeling so good and happy that I stopped at a place for red curry chicken (which I love),and eventhough it had been more spicy than I expected,it tasted good and I ate it all. A few hours later I felt a strong stinging in my skin under the ostomy,and found out that the leaks is there again.

Anybody's guess-have I caused it myself with my food choice after eating my bland diet food for long?

Please let me know!

Thank all of you,

Suzy

Comments

• Nazareth
    Nazareth Member Posts: 88 Member
    yes it can- certain spices or

yes it can- certain spices or acids in foods can cause the contents ot get on skin around ostomy, and cause the skin to become raw and weeping- and it can spread to hte point that the pouch no longer has good dry skin arou8nd hte ostomy to stick to

• suzycruise76
    Nazareth said:

yes it can- certain spices or

yes it can- certain spices or acids in foods can cause the contents ot get on skin around ostomy, and cause the skin to become raw and weeping- and it can spread to hte point that the pouch no longer has good dry skin arou8nd hte ostomy to stick to

Thank you.

I was afraid of it. Well,my skin is very irritated for about 2 weeks (eating just my diet,no-spicy food),nothing is really helping,so I made this stupid mistake today and probably paying for that. My biggest hope is to get rid of the ostomy completely.

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited July 2019 #4
    I have experienced burning

I have experienced burning after eating spicy foods so I try to avoid them. But it doesn't make my bag fall off any easier. I just changed it last night and had had it on for 9 days. They're so expensive I try to get as much time out of them as I can. And I find when mine are just starting to let some leakage get out it feels tickly. If I wait too long it burns.

I get as much time when I'm changing my bag as possible just sitting there letting it air dry. I stick a piece of toilet paper to the stoam in case it burps but I'll just sit on the toilet and look at my phone. Particulary if it's irritated. 

I also do not shower. I only have baths and unless I'm changing my bag I make sure the water does not cover the appliance. I don't know if that helps.

Until you can get your skin sorted out I don't know if things will improve. Maybe it just isn't the right product for you? Maybe a different brand would be better? I know two sisters who both have had illeostomies since the eighties due to Chrohn's and one is fine while the other can barely leave the house because her skin just can't seem to accept the appliances. I'm not saying this to make you worried, I'm saying it because it's an example of how different we can all be.

Do you lie down for ten minutes with your hand over it after you've changed it? I usually lie down even longer to be n the safe side. 

I'm sure you know what you're doing, I'm just throwing things out there in case something sticks. But I wold definitely try a sample of a different product in case it helps.

Jan

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    I sent you a PM. I had

I sent you a PM. I had another idea while I was up early this morning because my bag opened up.

Jan

• suzycruise76
    JanJan63 said:

I sent you a PM. I had

I sent you a PM. I had another idea while I was up early this morning because my bag opened up.

Jan

I just sent you response,Jan.

Now to your last post: I am going to be much more careful with my food now;will wait with my favorite spicy foods for my "new life",after I get reversal surgery.

Until recently I had not lay down with newly attached ostomy,but I always hold my warm hand on it for a few minutes. 

Changing the brand would be difficult,because I had not chosen it (I am getting Hollister-mostly);I am getting it free for now,but the ammount is limited,and they cannot understand my stress if I am getting very low on the parts (basically just the wafers-I am getting 5 of them compare to 10 pouches.Do not understand their math as the wafers are nor replacable with anything else).

I had been told by my surgeon that he plans to reverse my ileostomy sometime this summer...but the appointment is not coming,and I am very anxious. 

Regarding showering: I do it very carefully just sporadically,not like in normal life every day. Some people go swimming with their ostomy,I cannot imagine that.

Jan,thank you again for your ideas,I will try to use them all. 

Wish you all the best...happy summer!

Suzy