Follow up treatment

Olive Oil
Olive Oil Member Posts: 7

Hi.  I had a lumpectomy in January 19 followed by radiation treatment.  I did not have chemo.  I am ER + PR - and HER2 -    I am currently taking Anastrozole.  I'd like to know if anyone can tell me what the follow up with your oncologists is and what it involves.  Thanks!

Ann

Comments

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    keep your follow up appointments

Hey Ann,

My last BC treatment was July of 2017.  My follow ups were every 3 months with my surgeon and my onocologist.  That was twice and then with surgeon it went to 6 mo. and 4 months with onocologist.  Now it is none with surgeon and onocolgist is still at 4 months.  Onc always orders blood test to get 3 days prior to appt.  He does a physical check, we talk about the meds.   In the beginning he ordered a baseline bone density and then I just had another one this past winter and all was good except my back is more derterirated because of the meds and I had prior back problems so...sucks to be me..  Through out the treatment he ordered heart test and they were all fine.  Periodically, he orders a basic heart test  MUGA scan and all is fine.   During my treatments, if I had aches and pains he would order scans on this or that.    

Now that I have a new cancer (non related)  he still keeps me at every 4 mo.  with blood test and we chat alot at the appointments.  He is not the onocologist for my new cancer because I am not at that point where it "can take it from there yet"   Both oncs will work together.

I never miss my appointments.  

Hugs,

Annie

• Olive Oil
    Apaugh said:

Hey Ann,

My last BC treatment was July of 2017.  My follow ups were every 3 months with my surgeon and my onocologist.  That was twice and then with surgeon it went to 6 mo. and 4 months with onocologist.  Now it is none with surgeon and onocolgist is still at 4 months.  Onc always orders blood test to get 3 days prior to appt.  He does a physical check, we talk about the meds.   In the beginning he ordered a baseline bone density and then I just had another one this past winter and all was good except my back is more derterirated because of the meds and I had prior back problems so...sucks to be me..  Through out the treatment he ordered heart test and they were all fine.  Periodically, he orders a basic heart test  MUGA scan and all is fine.   During my treatments, if I had aches and pains he would order scans on this or that.    

Now that I have a new cancer (non related)  he still keeps me at every 4 mo.  with blood test and we chat alot at the appointments.  He is not the onocologist for my new cancer because I am not at that point where it "can take it from there yet"   Both oncs will work together.

Hugs,

Annie

Testing

Annie, please let me know if y ou see this post

• dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 26 Member
    Even that I am 26 years from

Even that I am 26 years from diagnosis ,I have a yearly follow up with my surgeon, hematologist, diagnostic mammogram. 

For the first 10 years, my doctors saw me every 6 months, once a year diagnostic mammogram, ultrasound, blood work.

Had several biopsies during this years, all benign, behind my chest wall, on the breast I still have.

I had also chemo, hormonal positive, no lymph nodes involved, had 18 removed during my masectomy. I am very involved in my medical care, I tell my doctors what I need, my suspicions, fear,etc, we are a team.

Have had second opinions when needed.

• Olive Oil
    edited July 2019 #5
    Thank you Dreaming!  I

Thank you Dreaming!  I appreciate your response.  You take care!

• Olive Oil
    Apaugh said:

Hey Ann,

Hugs,

Annie

Hi Annie.   Thank you very

Hi Annie.   Thank you very much for your response.  I'm technically challenged so it took me a while to reply to you!

Thanks!

Ann