Best vehicle for people like us?

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I think I'm going to have to sell my Camaro as much as I don't want to. Our financial situation has changed a bit so we don't really have to sell it but I'm fiding that the days when I'm not doing so well or am weak it's difficult to be in.

First, it's a two door and the doors are so wide and heavy it can be a real struggle to close them.

Second, it's low and there's a big part to step over to get my feet in. I often have to grab my pant leg and help lift my foot over.

Third, it's pretty comfortable but the seats are sporty seats and are a bit hard. My sciatica has really been acting up lately and that's not helping. My husband has a mazda 3 and it's seats are much worse than my Camaro, I can hardly stand to be in it.

I love it and when I'm feeling good I love driving it. But on bad days, which are getting more frequent and will be more frequent in the future, it's hard to get in and out of and is not comfortable enough.

Can anyone suggest a vehicle that's a little higher, has soft seats, and has four doors that might work better for me? I don't even know where to begin. My daughter works with cars and has driven many different types and says  Jeep Grand Cherokee is comfortable. They're pretty pricey, though, and we can't go into any more debt. Some higher end models actually lower themselves down to get in but they're unaffordable for us. I'm not feeling well enough these days to go around trying out vehicles. Yesterday I went out with my daughter and had to use my wheelchair.

And the vehicle has to have some oomph. I can't go from my speedy Camaro to something slow. I'll hate it from the day I get it. The Mazda 3 is slow and lacks guts.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jan 

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Cars!

Oooh, I love cars.  I drive a Subaru Outback.  It is relatively high, can carry quite a bit, and has AWD for your Canadian winters.  I also very much like the heated seats for my aging back.

It is not fast.  That will disappoint you.  But the 2020 Outback will have a turbocharged XT model with 260 horsepower.  That would likely satisfy your desire for speed.  If you have back problems, no matter what car you get, I would recommend one with heated seats and inflatable lumbar support.  The Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4 are similar vehicles, but not as good from my perspective.

I have driven a number of Grand Cherokees as rentals, and they are nice, but overpriced and they do not maintain their value very well.  But they are good in the snow and the new ones have many desireable features.  But honestly, I do not trust the quality of Fiat/Chrysler.

If you are looking for a used car, the issue is a bit more difficult.  It depends upon your budget.

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited July 2019 #3
    Cherokees

I've got a Chrysler 300 and love it, but unfortunately they don't make that any longer.  I've driven the Cherokees and the seats are just too hard for me and seem to be a stiffer ride than I'd like, but that was a couple years ago.  I'm not sure about any other vehicles because my husband has a truck and you need a runner to step on in order to get into it.  I'm more of a sedan person and that's why my 300 is my ultimate ride.  Hope you find something you like.

Kim

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    I have

Of the earlier GM badged Isuzu utes . I have a lot of trouble with lower back and leg neuropathy. I find the Isuzu very comfortable. It doesn't hurt my back or ramp up my sciatica. It is not a speed machine but it has a 2.8 turbo charged diesel that gives me plenty of towing power and the power steering is easy on the arms. It is also quite fuel efficient. Ron.

• JanJan63
    Thanks you guys, you've given

Thanks you guys, you've given me some ideas. It has to be used, we can't afford anything new. My Camaro has 305 HP so not much is going to equal that although I had a Chrysler 200 previously and it had close to that HP. My Camaro has heated seats and I'd never not have them. They are so soothing and I'm wimpy about the cold now so getting into a leather seat that's not heated up is miserable. I also must have remote start for the same reason. 

Jan

• Annabelle41415
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks you guys, you've given me some ideas. It has to be used, we can't afford anything new. My Camaro has 305 HP so not much is going to equal that although I had a Chrysler 200 previously and it had close to that HP. My Camaro has heated seats and I'd never not have them. They are so soothing and I'm wimpy about the cold now so getting into a leather seat that's not heated up is miserable. I also must have remote start for the same reason. 

Jan

Love Heated Seats

Yup, my 300 has heated, leather seats and love them as well.  I'm not so much about HP as I'm about a comfortable ride though.  My 300 is a V6 and has a lot of pep and still manage to get about 33-35 mph on the highway so I'm great with that number.  Let us know what you decide.  I'm anxious to see what you find.

Kim

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    What to buy?

I recently had to perm. retire my Town and Country mini van, after 22 years.  I would have loved to have gotten the Pacifica mini van but way too pricey.

I settled on the Rogue SUV.  It is small and has a 4 cyl. but has all the pep needed.  It is AWD, front bucket heated seats, remote start and a bunch of other things I didn't think I needed but have found very likeable and useful...driver seat also has the lumbar option.

I was looking for a good deal, so waited for the year end sales.  Once you zero in on a model, you might want to check dealers for a new car from previous year...they really want to get rid of them and they still have the full warrenty.

As for the shopping, you might want to consider having your hubby or daughter doing the test drive and if close enough come by your house and let you sit in it.  Just a thought.

Good luck and let us know what you pick.

Marie who loves kitties

• Steelkiwi686
    Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member
    Vehicles

I agree that Nissan Rogue is a very nice comfortable vehicle. I had one and loved it for several years.  They are pretty loaded with nice features. Ironically enough I eventually traded it in and got a Chrysler 300.  The Chrysler 300 was the only car I’d ever really notice in the street. When I turned 50 I decided to go buy myself a car ....for myself and by myself Finally. Came home with the Chrysler and have never regretted it.  As described leather warm up seats, very comfortable smooth ride, dont have to climb in and even though I’m only 5’2 the seats are so adjustable that to me it never even seems like I’m driving a bigger car. Overall though it can really go if you’re a faster driver and it’s built like a tank so I feel very safe in it. 

The Chrysler is my go to ride or die but the Nissan Rogue is a close second. The hub traded in a 2 yr old loaded Jeep Cherokee for his own Rogue after I traded mine in and couldn’t be happier. (I personally did not like the Cherokee especially compared to either the Rogue or the 300 and it was constantly having various problems ) I never had any significant mechanical issues with either car. (Lucky me ). My main criteria at the time was comfort, Safety, built in GPS, and all wheel drive. 

Good luck with your search.  I hope you find your “ultimate ride”.

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    I no longer drive...

Due to the Neuropathy in my legs I no longer drive. I sold my Porsche Carrera and kept the my Tahoe.

I bought my wife a Genesis G80 and she loves it. Heated seats and all. It’s a great car.

Wish I was driving 

• JanJan63
    Thanks for more ideas! It's

Thanks for more ideas! It's going to take some seriously comfortable seats to make me not hurt after a short time. 

Jan

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited July 2019 #11
    JanJan63 said:

Thanks for more ideas! It's

Thanks for more ideas! It's going to take some seriously comfortable seats to make me not hurt after a short time. 

Jan

Add your own cushion

If you get adjustable seats, get your own cushion.  I bet that the ones designed for lawn chairs (attached back and seat with ties) could work to add a bit more comfort.  If the feel is good. the ties could be used to help hold some attachment to the seat so it doesn't slide.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Jan

Used

On the used side of the equation, you can probably get a pretty good deal on a domestic small SUV.  The Ford Escape has a turbo that should be plenty powerful.  The Chevy Equinox is also decent.  Both of these have poor resale values, so you could probably get one a year or two old for 50% of its retail value.  An Outback would probably be 90% of its initial value, so your dollar can carry you further in a less desireable but similar vehicle.  Rental fleets often sell their cars after a year or two at a significant discount.  It would be better to buy from an original owner, but there will be more selection from Avis or Hertz.

• Bellesouth
    Bellesouth Member Posts: 27
    My transportation solution :)

After my terminal diagnosis, when my car finally gave up the ghost I wanted a really nice car that would be super fun to drive. But I hadn't had a car payment in so long, I was in for a rude awakening. Then I had a brilliant idea... Leasing. The payments are affordable, and my family won't have to worry about what to do with it when I'm gone. I currently lease an Infiniti Q50 with all the bells & whistles including 300hp twin turbo blah blah blah. I named her Sexy Beast. With less than a year left on my lease, I'm already thinking about which vehicle to get next (which I shall call Sexy Beast 2.0). It's great getting a brand spanking new car every 3 years, and when I'm gone, my family just turns it in. I never considered leasing before, but it's the best option for me now. And I sure am having fun! 

• Annabelle41415
    edited July 2019 #14

My transportation solution :)

After my terminal diagnosis, when my car finally gave up the ghost I wanted a really nice car that would be super fun to drive. But I hadn't had a car payment in so long, I was in for a rude awakening. Then I had a brilliant idea... Leasing. The payments are affordable, and my family won't have to worry about what to do with it when I'm gone. I currently lease an Infiniti Q50 with all the bells & whistles including 300hp twin turbo blah blah blah. I named her Sexy Beast. With less than a year left on my lease, I'm already thinking about which vehicle to get next (which I shall call Sexy Beast 2.0). It's great getting a brand spanking new car every 3 years, and when I'm gone, my family just turns it in. I never considered leasing before, but it's the best option for me now. And I sure am having fun! 

Awesome

That is an awesome idea.  You are right, buying a car outright means a good size down payment, and possibly a 6 year or longer loan.  That is perfect for someone getting what they like with a manageable payment.  This is a great option for anyone who isn't sure what car to buy in the long term.  If you like the car after the lease you can always purchase it and all the lease payments apply to the purchase (at least my husband's truck did two years ago).  Thanks for the suggestion.

Kim

• Steelkiwi686
    Steelkiwi686 Member Posts: 73 Member
    Leasing

Brilliant Suggestion !

• JanJan63
    Great idea for some people!

Great idea for some people! Leasing in Canada isn't the same as in the states and doesn't work that well for people unless they have a lot of money. We can't go into any more monthly costs, we're struggling as it is.

Jan