Swallowing Difficulty....

Options
Jordie57
Jordie57 Member Posts: 12
edited June 2019 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Few weeks after vocal cord surgery on right side SCC...laser surgery. NO RADIATION 

WHEN DRINKING AT TIMES it's getting in airway and causing a bit of coughing.

also...sometimes food is feeling stuck.  Like when you swallow a pill wrong And get that hard pain in breastbone.

will this get better.

thanks folks❤️❤️

Comments

• Jordie57
    Options
    LOL LOL LOL

I LOVE A GOOD HOT DOG, 

THANKS MATT

• freetime
    freetime Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Smoothies and soft foods like

Smoothies and soft foods like mashed potatos with gravy or butter. Takes time to get a good smooth swallow. Take it easy and take care.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited June 2019 #4
    Options
    SWALLOWING STUFF

Hi Jordie57,

It did get (much) better for me as it does for most of us. It also, might be that we (H&N people) become more aware of the pitfalls to eating and drinking from now on and  moving forward, I expect  for the rest-of-my-life.

It really isn’t as bleak as it sounds, but you must keep swallowing and drinking lots of water every day.  You must!  There are members who forget how to swallow and have to relearn the process (it sounds impossible, but it is true).  Seeing how your cancer was discovered  early and you DID NOT require radiation, will play well for you to make a complete recovery and return you to being a  Hot Dog eating Champion at Nathan’s on July 4th.  Good luck,

Matt

• Jordie57
    Options
    Yummmmmmm

I love your choice of food❤️Thank you 

• dnelson964
    dnelson964 Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2019 #6
    Options
    smoothies and Aloe drinks

I found blending greens/fruits/eggs/protein powder/bannana's a good way to down nutrients. Also Aloe vera drinks like Aloevine go down much smoother then water. I drink that daily now instead of water.