HBOT treatment

Had tonsil cancel in 2008. everything great now. in 2010 i need 7 teeth extraxted. Did 32 HBOT drives.  fast forward to today. 10 years cancer free. just wondering if anyone can answer a question.  i need 22 teeth extracted now for dentures.  like i said hbot on 2010 .  will i need hbot treatments again?  my jaw is rock solid

thanks

rick

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    HBOT in 2010

Would be worn off by now the extra oxygen is out of your system. Check with your dentist for your X-rays and see if he can see any bone deterioration. The problem with the jawbone is radiation damages blood vessels leading to less blood flow in the bone hence reduced healing. I recently had an infected tooth that had to come out and I did not have time to consider HBOT. When the surgeon pulled my tooth he said you have good blood flow. Did you have good blood flow at your previously extracted teeth? You might also want to check with your radiation people too and they can look at the fields and give you an opinion. I don't know if there is any scan that would show something like an MRI. You could also have a tooth or two pulled and they can see if you have good blood flow. Let us know what you figger out. God Bless

• ricklevans
    ricklevans Member Posts: 16
    wbcgaruss said:

HBOT in 2010

Would be worn off by now the extra oxygen is out of your system. Check with your dentist for your X-rays and see if he can see any bone deterioration. The problem with the jawbone is radiation damages blood vessels leading to less blood flow in the bone hence reduced healing. I recently had an infected tooth that had to come out and I did not have time to consider HBOT. When the surgeon pulled my tooth he said you have good blood flow. Did you have good blood flow at your previously extracted teeth? You might also want to check with your radiation people too and they can look at the fields and give you an opinion. I don't know if there is any scan that would show something like an MRI. You could also have a tooth or two pulled and they can see if you have good blood flow. Let us know what you figger out. God Bless

thank you

when i had it done before i had no problems at all. i been reading up and some big cancer hospitals aren't recommending it anymore. ill keep you posted. Thanks

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    Just for the record

I have read people on here that have had teeth pulled and it never healed and their jawbone got infected and I think they use your fibula to replace it. There is also a fella who attends our local support at the Barshinger campus that had that happen to him and he needed a piece of his jawbone replaced. If there is a question I would play it safe-here is a link that may help--

https://oralcancerfoundation.org/complications/osteoradionecrosis/