Open Radical Nephrectomy on Tuesday

Bugs Bollox
Bugs Bollox Member Posts: 20

Man, am I not looking forward to this, but we do what we've gotta do.

Any tips, tricks or wisdom for getting through this and minimizing the pain?

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    It beats the alternative

Bugs,

Not fun. Your bio indicates it is large. Time to get rid of it. If I told you the pain was minimal they would laugh me off this board. No pain, no gain.

icemantoo

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Welcome, Bugs

At the top right corner of this page is an icon "Search CSN Content".  Click that and type in key words for a search.  You'll see a lot of threads with advice for you.  

My only advice is to listen to your body during recovery.  Don't push it.  This is major surgery and you have to respect the need for your body to recover.  

Keep us updated as you move forward on this journey.  We'll try to help as much as you allow us to.

Blessings,

Stub

• Jobie123
    Jobie123 Member Posts: 32 Member
    I’m 18 months out from a

I’m 18 months out from a radical nephrectomy and to be honest i can honestley say i was never in severe pain just discomfort ! Yes it’s a slow road and you take time to gain strength and energy levels back but what i kept telling myself was , Keep strong , keep focused there’s no alternative road!

listen to your body , rest and sleep when you need too x 

take care Jo

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    edited May 2019 #5
    welcome bugs-

Sorry you had to join our group, but this is a great forum. We've all been where you are now and gotten through it, so we know you will, too. If you have any questions or concerns or just want to vent/complain, we're here for you. 

If you haven't already read it, I posted my radical nephrectomy experience here -> https://csn.cancer.org/node/318416

We'll be rooting for you - you've got this!

• TomHop
    TomHop Member Posts: 11
    Follow up

Hi Bugs. I had my open radical nephrectomy in mid-February. The first couple weeks were pretty tough but manageable. Keep a pillow handy for times when you need to cough. Listen to your body. Stay on your meds. Three months down the road I am reminded of the incision simply because it feels tight but no pain. You can do it!

• Dominick0711
    Dominick0711 Member Posts: 99 Member
    Mine was partial but also

Mine was partial but also open and took place on January 15th.  Echoing some of what others have said but...for me pain was worse day after then day of and initially that worried me but by that same evening I was already seeing progress.  The every day felt better then the day before and though the first week was rough in terms of mobility, tightness and discomfort in some positions it was the getting better every day part that make me feel positive.  my biggest keys to recovery im sure you’ve already heard which is walk walk walk drink water walk walk walk drink water...repeat until feeling one hundred percent then hopefully it’s a life change for you and you keep on doing it anyway! We will be thinking of you! Hoping for a fast recovery and a cancer free future!

• Dominick0711
    Dominick0711 Member Posts: 99 Member
    I’m going to add something

I’m going to add something that people tried to tell me but I didn’t listen...don’t sweat the small stuff and have faith in your body. It will heal and recover.  I tortured my doctor a bit and was worrying about every what if and itt all proved to be unnecessary anxiety that only hinders your recovery not helps it.  Find a good doctor then trust that doctor and focus solely on your recovery.  Stay vigilant for sure and ask all the questions you need to ask but try to trust the answers and focus on getting better.

• Bugs Bollox
    Thank you everyone for your

Thank you everyone for your thoughs and kind words. This is a great place for information and support. I'll make it thorugh this. This isn't my first rodeo with abdominal surgery, although last time I had youth on my side. I remember getting out of bed being a real adventure those first few times after surgery.

It seems strange that I haven't had any pain this week, but I saw the scans so I know it's real. I did my pre-op assessment yesterday and I'm good to go. The people there kept saying what a great surgeon I have, so that was reassuring. So Tuesday I put my game face on and do battle with the Beast. Wish me well.

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 783 Member
    I wish you well Bugs and walk

I wish you well Bugs and walk walk walk soon as you can. Keep the faith!

• Bugs Bollox
    edited May 2019 #11

I wish you well Bugs and walk

I wish you well Bugs and walk walk walk soon as you can. Keep the faith!

Thanks, Sandy...  I'll get to

Thanks, Sandy...  I'll get to hoppin'!

• icemantoo
    edited May 2019 #12
    Give yourself some time to heal

Bugs,

The first couple days are a little rough than each day should be a little better with maybe a bad day in between.

icemantoo

• mukhopadhyay.arka01
    mukhopadhyay.arka01 Member Posts: 32
    I am sure you will be back in a month

I had radical nephrectomy and was walking in 1 week and within a month started working--I have desk job.

Partial nephrectomy should be better

How big is your tumour and on which kidney?

• Bugs Bollox
    I’m having a radical

I’m having a radical procedure too. Right kidney. Big tumor. Looked big on the screen anyway.  As I recall, about 16x17x7 cm. Doc said to expect about a 6-8 week recovery, but then everyone is different. 

I’ve got a desk job too. Lots of computer time and long meetings. 

The woman who did my surgical pre-testing said these tumors are usually confined. Can anyone verify that?

• mukhopadhyay.arka01
    mukhopadhyay.arka01 Member Posts: 32

I’m having a radical

I’m having a radical procedure too. Right kidney. Big tumor. Looked big on the screen anyway.  As I recall, about 16x17x7 cm. Doc said to expect about a 6-8 week recovery, but then everyone is different. 

I’ve got a desk job too. Lots of computer time and long meetings. 

The woman who did my surgical pre-testing said these tumors are usually confined. Can anyone verify that?

1st tumour?

I had some pain but I was back fast--had to wear an abdominal belt--my company was kind enough to give me a room in the office premise--so I dint have to travel!

Is this your 1st tumour --thats a big tumour! Were there symptoms?

• Bugs Bollox
    Thanks everyone for the input

Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. They released me yesterday. 

They took the right kidney and adrenal gland. Not sure what to expect in terms of side effects. I’m told that everything went well. We‘ll see what the pathology report says. Not having much real pain, but I’m really weak. Been sleeping a lot and any little activity knocks me out. Hoping my stamina improves this week. 

• icemantoo
    Bugs

One day at a time.

icemantoo

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    NICE JOB!

You did it! Way to go, Bugs! Now don't push yourself, listen to your body, and heal up!

• Gtngbtr58 @aol.com
    Gtngbtr58 @aol.com Member Posts: 206 Member
    Wishing you

All the best.  Just remember that it's ok to ask for help.  Keep on top of your emotional health as well as your physical health. Although you've been thru something similar in the past each experience is different.  You've been successful once you'll be successful twice.  Best of luck-June

• jazzgirl
    jazzgirl Member Posts: 240 Member
    Slow and easy

Be gentle with your body and, as someone else mentioned, patient with emotional health. Breathe and savor being on this side of the surgery. Take care -

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited May 2019 #21
    Wishing you the very best.

Wishing you the very best. Take it nice and slow and don't push yourself but try to walk as much as possible. It does help recovery. Even a few minutes every hour around the house is good.