Jaw pain

Firefighter35
Firefighter35 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone experienced jaw pain with the first few bites of food when on folfox 6, 5fu oxaliplatin and leuc. ? goes away after a few bites. thanks all

Tim

Comments

• Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Hi Tim,

Yes, I was on Folfox 4, and my jaws would almost lock at times. It would go away after a few seconds, but it was scary at first. I took the entire 12 treatments and am happy to say that I have no lasting side effects. I just celebrated my one year mark post chemo!

Kay
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    Oh yeah Tim,

I've totally had that. It's from the oxaliplatin, and it's very unpredictable. Sometimes when I start to eat something or drink something quickly, my jaw gets really crampy, near the back of the jaw, and then it goes away after a few seconds. It's a weird side effect, but I have had it before so don't think you are alone!

Rodney
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Yes. Exactly as you describe. I call it a jaw spasm. Last just a few seconds. It's a side effect of the oxaliplatin. For me, it starts on day 1 of oxalitplatin, and lasts for a few days after the infusion (as least, so far -- I'm only on tx #4). I get it every time I first take a bite or sip -- doesn't seem to matter what food/drink. But, if I am having a whole meal, it is only that first bite. It suprises me every time (I'm a slow learner!). Oddly, my oncologist never mentioned this to me -- I had to mention it to him.
    Good luck with it.
    Tara
  • Firefighter35
    Firefighter35 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for your responses all, thought it was a little weird. Also, did you all have the sensation to cold ? if so when did it set in ? I haven't noticed it yet, maybe i will get lucky on that one. Take care all.

Tim
  • BusterBrown
    BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
    Tim:
    That happened to me too. I noticed it occurred to me right after my infusion. It seems to me that it only lasted a day or two and things returned to normal, until my dose...
    Buster
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member

Thanks for your responses all, thought it was a little weird. Also, did you all have the sensation to cold ? if so when did it set in ? I haven't noticed it yet, maybe i will get lucky on that one. Take care all.

Tim

Hi Tim -

As everyone else has said, the oxaliplatin does cause the sensation you describe. Very wierd.

I experienced virtually no cold sensitivity after my first treatment. However, just had my second treatment this past Monday and the cold sensitivity is MUCH more pronounced.

One of the nurses told me of a patient who went home after treatment and ate a Klondike bar - his face froze up so much he almost couldn't talk!

Betsy
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    Hi Tim, that oxaliplatin was the pain in the butt for me caused jaw pain teeth pain sores in month tingling and numbness(sp) in hands and feet neuralgia(sp) of the face high blood pressure, burning eyes and inside of my nose. If I cried the pain was terrible to make a tear. Boy I tell you every other week I had a different side effect from this drug, They subsided in a few days still have tingling and numbness of hands and feet. Reason I know oxi caused the problems is because I had all the other drugs before and didn't have any side effects. But remeber everyone is different.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member

Tim

I'm finishing up round 4 and haven't had the sensation to cold yet (well, hardly -- an occasional twinge but nothing to speak ot). I'm avoiding cold food/drinks during and after the chemo just in case.
    Tara
  • lando
    lando Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my husband is taking
    Yes, my husband is taking the fu5 for colon cancer & this round he developed jaw pain when he 1st takes a bite.
  • lando
    lando Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my husband is taking
    Yes, my husband is taking the fu5 for colon cancer & this round he developed jaw pain when he 1st takes a bite.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Yeppers
    On the jaw pain when I was on Oxi for the first few bites, and yes on the cold sensation, some people are lucky on the cold thing, apparently you're one of the lucky ones!! ;)
  • Folfox1
    Folfox1 Member Posts: 1
    Jaw Pain

i know there haven’t been any recent post on this topic but I was glad to see the post still here about jaw pain. I have had 2 FolFox sessions and I am having the same pains with the first few bites of food. Knowing it is going to happen helps to work through it. 

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    edited May 2019 #14
    Folfox1 said:

Jaw Pain

i know there haven’t been any recent post on this topic but I was glad to see the post still here about jaw pain. I have had 2 FolFox sessions and I am having the same pains with the first few bites of food. Knowing it is going to happen helps to work through it. 

Common

It's common and very annoying at times.  It gets better after stopping treatment but after 10 years once in awhile I'll still get it and have to pucker up to stop the chills from going down me.  It would be nice if you could start a new thread and introduce yourself.  Welcome to the board.

Kim